Who else is running native?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tillsbury, Oct 29, 2014.

1. tillsbury macrumors 65816

So once I'd tried going to 5k resolution (hold down option in the display preferences tab), going back to "looks like 3200" is way too big for me.

I can't go back now. Just up the font size in those programs that allow it, expand the Safari window a bit, and everything is simply perfect. And I thought I was old and a bit blind...

My old Dell 30" 2560x1600 display now looks like VGA by comparison...

2. forg0t macrumors member

Wow, I just tried it now. I feel like I can have the entire internet on my screen.

3. tillsbury thread starter macrumors 65816

You can have three copies of it side by side :)

I'm currently browsing in a nice big vertical window, with five copy batches over several Finder windows running (transferring stuff from the old machine), plus three downloads, Steam downloading, iTunes updating, Windows XP and Windows 10 both running in the other corner, Minecraft server (for the boy) and a huge Thunderbird window open. This is bonkers...

My rMBP fan has wound up (as its data is being hauled down at 110MBs over Ethernet), but still the fan on the iMac hasn't started...

4. forg0t, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

forg0t macrumors member

How does minecraft run on yours? I thought I'd be able to do 32 chunks but it didn't work :[. Also I was hoping to be able to run dota windowed at 3200 but OS X runs it weirdly in its own space like it was fullscreened :/

And man, losing the mouse is so easy with so much screen estate

Nvm got dota worked out.

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't need that much space and I am more than happy with the default setting. The reason I bought my iMac was to enjoy Retina resolution and amazingly sharp text and pictures on it. If I up the resolution to 5K, then all these are just gone..

6. tillsbury thread starter macrumors 65816

No they're not. Pictures still look perfect in Aperture, and you can view hundreds of thumbnails at a time. Safari enlarges so that's no different. All other text is scaled up as required in each app by viewing full page at a time in Word and other apps.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It can't look as good though as when using the Retina resolution. You are using one pixel for each virtual point on the display, instead of four. It doesn't matter if you resize text and see everything bigger, you lose in sharpness (at least for text), compared to the Retina resolution.

8. tillsbury thread starter macrumors 65816

Minecraft runs fine, locks on 60fps whatever I try. It works on 32 chunks although I can't see what that does. From about 18 chunks the horizon doesn't extend further. Looks lovely, though.

----------

Not if you enlarge the text to twice the size (or thereabouts). The menus and surrounding nonsense, though, stays tiny and doesn't get in the way.

9. forg0t macrumors member

how are you enlarging the text? Manually one by one per app, or is there a faster way I don't know about?

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't need so much usable space on my desktop, but everybody is different. If you are happy with the max resolution, then great. :)
    I prefer to enjoy the Retina sharpness of the display.

11. tillsbury thread starter macrumors 65816

As far as I know it has to be done in each app. There's no accessibility option that allows you to default to larger text that I know about.

12. forg0t macrumors member

I like it... a lot. But some things are still too small for me that I can't change. But now any other resolution looks like crap. Good job, ruined my mac.

13. tillsbury thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry. :)

14. shaunp macrumors 65816

You guys keep doing that, I'm gonna go buy shares in SpecSavers... ;)