Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I am. How many of you guys that used 13" prior to getting your 15" due to it being the only size out are selling and getting the 13" rMBP?

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

Maczor

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
LU, Switzerland
Nothing you can do on the 13 you can't do on the iPad.

That's quite far from the truth.
The iPad is definitely a nice device, but it ain't a notebook.
Try doing some proper work on your iPad and tell us how that goes...

@OP: I haven't ordered a 15" rMBP cause I was waiting for the 13" model ( Cook clearly stated it would come later this year while presenting the 15" rMBP back in summer ). Of course some people were hoping for quad and all that jazz... but we all knew it's not likely to happen. I do agree that the 13" rMBP is quite on the pricey side for what it offers, but well, you can't please everyone.

Last edited:

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Why would anyone swap?

• Smaller screen with less real estate and lower maximum resolution.
  • No discrete graphics card.
  • Half the processing power.
  • Not as thin as the 15".

You'd have to be mental to swap the lovely 15-incher for a vastly inferior machine.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
MacBook Air 13" > Retina MacBook Pro 13"

Sorry,but IMO the only reason you would buy the 13" is for either hype or to tell people you have the new one. If you bought it for the screen then more fool you.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Sold my RMBP today and only lost $100 after using it for four months. I didn't do it for the 13" rMBP though. I bought an 2012 11" Macbook Air CTO 2.0ghz i7 with 8gb RAM and 128gb SSD last week on CL for dirt cheap. That's my new road warrior (I go to a lot of remote locations for shoots and the 15" - although MUCH lighter than any previous MBP, was still too heavy).

Not sure what the benchmark on the new 13" rMBP will be but I have a feeling my Ultimate 11" 2012 MBA will hold its own very well especially since it doesn't need to push that many pixels.

I debated on a 13" rMBP but I knew (and believe the rumors) that it wouldn't have dedicated GPU but had a HUGE mark up instead. So my new setup is 11" MBA above + new iMac 27". It actually came out evenly after I calculate the cost of selling my 15" rMBP and Cinema Display :)

Planning on ordering a new 27" base model with Fusion Drive and throw in a 32gb RAM upgrade.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
That's quite far from the truth.
The iPad is definitely a nice device, but it ain't a notebook.
Try doing some proper work on your iPad and tell us how that goes...

@OP: I haven't ordered a 15" rMBP cause I was waiting this one ( Cook clearly stated it would come later this year while presenting the 15" rMBP back in summer ). Of course some people were hoping for quad and all that jazz... but we all knew it's not likely to happen. I do agree that the 13" rMBP is quite on the pricey side for what it offers, but well, you can't please everyone.

What proper work can't you personally do on the iPad that you can do on this machine? I'm curious.

You can code, write text, do meat and potatoes image editing and organising, spreadsheet work, conference video call. There is no office function that you can't do on the iPad. Add the cloud, a usb keyboard, and a VNC client and you're in business.

My work is film/video, and editing with Avid so I can't really work on the iPad but then again I can't work on the 13 either. If it weren't for ingesting footage in the field (which the 13 is much inferior to a 17 or the old 15 for) I'd just move to a Mac Pro/iPad setup.

Which explaines this.
wpid-photo-jul-29-2012-853-pm.jpg

Maczor

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
LU, Switzerland
I can't do "proper programming".

Your "you can code" affirmation is quite silly ( especially since you don't work in the field )... As a software engineer, realistically speaking, an iPad is not something you can really work on. I need Tomcat to be running, I need Java installed, Maven, need to be able to work with Flash ( since I do both front-end development using the Flash technology and server-side development using mainly Java ), have as much control over the system as possible, and so on and so forth.

I am aware of the "fancy" tools available for the iPad that allow you to "type in some code" and run it and see the "magic happen"... but in reality, those tools are just toys. You won't see companies buying iPads for their developer teams so that they can program on them ( what are the advantages again? cause I can only see disadvantages )... sure: "who needs crappy desktops / notebooks that are NNNN times faster and who needs control over the system when you can just use a text editor in iPad that can run some really basic scripts"... also, "who needs to actually test stuff on Windows / Linux / OSX... iOS is all that you need!!!" :)

As for the VNC client approach: yeah, you're just making me laugh and you're killing your credibility in the process... if you say VNC is such a wonderful way to work, then why are you stating: "My work is film/video, and editing with Avid so I can't really work on the iPad but then again I can't work on the 13 either." a few phrases after??? Enlighten us please: Why can't you put your own wonderful advice into practice and connect to your desktop via VNC from the iPad and work? Or from a 13" notebook for that matter? Caught you there, didn't I? :)

Connecting via VNC and checking a few things from time to time, or even doing some "light work" ( just editing a file fast or running something, etc. ) is totally acceptable... but do you really expect people to work multiple hours a day in that manner? Seriously now...

The iPad is definitely a wonderful little device and it is surely a great companion for people who mainly "consume" or view content... and to some extent even "create content", but it's not suitable for every discipline / field. Saying otherwise is just silly...

EDIT:

If I were a 3D artist or professional video editor, most likely the 13" wouldn't have cut it... I mean, I'm confident it would still get the job done, but it would get it done significantly slower than a more powerful device and of course the screen real estate is something everyone has to deal with on a personal level ( though one can always connect it to a monitor ). IMO, the 13" doesn't make much sense when one really needs a dedicated GPU because he / she is doing have rendering ( again, 3D artists, video editors and similar ) or is planning to play games quite heavily ( it's clearly not a notebook aimed for gamers ), but other than that... i'm quite confident that it gets the majority of other tasks done quite decently. Sure... if you start comparing numbers, then don't expect to be blown away by it...

Fact: People have been doing "professional" work on a lot more crappy notebooks / systems for years ( "crappy" in the sense that CPUs and GPUs that were "the bomb" 3-4 years ago, aren't even remotely close to a "wow" nowadays )... the only thing one can really complain about is the price tag. There are obviously cheaper alternatives with similar or even better specs.

So, the real question is: Do you WANT to buy it or NOT? ( assuming you CAN afford it without a problem... I'm quite sure you can ) WILL the purchase make you happy or NOT? Because for sure no one really "NEEDS" it... just like no one really "NEEDS" an iPhone or iPad or iWhatever...

Last edited:

ryane67

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
So.. give up:

a dedicated GPU for integrated
16gb of ram for 8gb
256gb minimum ssd
quad core for dual core

for what benefit?
1lb difference
Couple hundred dollars
thicker machine
Maybe slightly better battery life (since it can't switch gpu)?

No way.

15" rMBP was and still is a better buy.

Simoquasimo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Finland
So.. give up:

a dedicated GPU for integrated
16gb of ram for 8gb
256gb minimum ssd
quad core for dual core

for what benefit?
1lb difference
Couple hundred dollars
thicker machine
Maybe slightly better battery life (since it can't switch gpu)?

No way.

15" rMBP was and still is a better buy.

Same logic here. 15" rMBP is the way to go.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Same logic here. 15" rMBP is the way to go.

It frustrates me how people suggest that their opinion and the way that they use their computer is the only way! Some people require a smaller lighter computer but still a full voltage processor.

Obviously there is a market for it

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
I can't do "proper programming".

Your "you can code" affirmation is quite silly ( especially since you don't work in the field )... As a software engineer, realistically speaking, an iPad is not something you can really work on. I need Tomcat to be running, I need Java installed, Maven, need to be able to work with Flash ( since I do both front-end development using the Flash technology and server-side development using mainly Java ), have as much control over the system as possible, and so on and so forth.

I am aware of the "fancy" tools available for the iPad that allow you to "type in some code" and run it and see the "magic happen"... but in reality, those tools are just toys. You won't see companies buying iPads for their developer teams so that they can program on them ( what are the advantages again? cause I can only see disadvantages )... sure: "who needs crappy desktops / notebooks that are NNNN times faster and who needs control over the system when you can just use a text editor in iPad that can run some really basic scripts"... also, "who needs to actually test stuff on Windows / Linux / OSX... iOS is all that you need!!!" :)

As for the VNC client approach: yeah, you're just making me laugh and you're killing your credibility in the process... if you say VNC is such a wonderful way to work, then why are you stating: "My work is film/video, and editing with Avid so I can't really work on the iPad but then again I can't work on the 13 either." a few phrases after??? Enlighten us please: Why can't you put your own wonderful advice into practice and connect to your desktop via VNC from the iPad and work? Or from a 13" notebook for that matter? Caught you there, didn't I? :)

Connecting via VNC and checking a few things from time to time, or even doing some "light work" ( just editing a file fast or running something, etc. ) is totally acceptable... but do you really expect people to work multiple hours a day in that manner? Seriously now...

The iPad is definitely a wonderful little device and it is surely a great companion for people who mainly "consume" or view content... and to some extent even "create content", but it's not suitable for every discipline / field. Saying otherwise is just silly...

EDIT:

If I were a 3D artist or professional video editor, most likely the 13" wouldn't have cut it... I mean, I'm confident it would still get the job done, but it would get it done significantly slower than a more powerful device and of course the screen real estate is something everyone has to deal with on a personal level ( though one can always connect it to a monitor ). IMO, the 13" doesn't make much sense when one really needs a dedicated GPU because he / she is doing have rendering ( again, 3D artists, video editors and similar ) or is planning to play games quite heavily ( it's clearly not a notebook aimed for gamers ), but other than that... i'm quite confident that it gets the majority of other tasks done quite decently. Sure... if you start comparing numbers, then don't expect to be blown away by it...

Fact: People have been doing "professional" work on a lot more crappy notebooks / systems for years ( "crappy" in the sense that CPUs and GPUs that were "the bomb" 3-4 years ago, aren't even remotely close to a "wow" nowadays )... the only thing one can really complain about is the price tag. There are obviously cheaper alternatives with similar or even better specs.

So, the real question is: Do you WANT to buy it or NOT? ( assuming you CAN afford it without a problem... I'm quite sure you can ) WILL the purchase make you happy or NOT? Because for sure no one really "NEEDS" it... just like no one really "NEEDS" an iPhone or iPad or iWhatever...

Stop sounding so smug.

My point wasn't whether someone "needs" it or if it has a market, its about whether when one OWNS a 15 rMBP already there is much sense or value in trading down when an iPad could do many many functions already, and what tasks this machine serves that couldn't go iPad.

THIS IS WHY I asked the poster to mention what work he does - I asked, not arrogantly assumed.

My video work has nothing to do with my mentioning VNC - that is in the context of normal office work, either IT or management, etc.

"Caught me there?" Oh you are clever. My mentioning 13" not great for my field shooting is about an express slot to take pro camera cards directly, plus enough screen real estate to run two window editing plus the fact Adobe CS will struggle on that thing with 2 cores and ram limits.

As for this trope that ipad is only for consuming, not producing, that's tired. Lots of people are doing lots of stuff with iPads. I use one as a virtual mixing board to control 16 tracks of audio along side my editing. Even if I'm not a developer, I've certainly read lots of accounts by those who are.

Just one example

http://yieldthought.com/post/12239282034/swapped-my-macbook-for-an-ipad

http://yieldthought.com/post/31857050698/ipad-linode-1-year-later

Maczor

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
LU, Switzerland
Just because a few people use it for programming at home ( I'd risk guessing: not even 1% of all the programmers in the world ), it doesn't mean it's a good tool for programming. I could start writing code on my phone too, but does that make it good for programming? Definitely not...

Your comment had nothing to do with rMBP 15", it was a clear statement that an "Nothing you can do on the 13 you can't do on the iPad", which is COMPLETELY FALSE and I stand by my affirmations. Also, do please stop referring to things you have never mentioned before... like "field work" and similar jazz. If you have something to say, try stating your case correctly from the beginning... don't start adding details later on.

Are you really expecting us to read minds?

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I prefer smaller laptops(11''-13'') but decided to give the 15"rMBP a try but just can't stand the size. If I need a bigger screen I just hook it up to my HDTV.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Just because a few people use it for programming at home ( I'd risk guessing: not even 1% of all the programmers in the world ), it doesn't mean it's a good tool for programming. I could start writing code on my phone too, but does that make it good for programming? Definitely not...

Your comment had nothing to do with rMBP 15", it was a clear statement that an "Nothing you can do on the 13 you can't do on the iPad", which is COMPLETELY FALSE and I stand by my affirmations. Also, do please stop referring to things you have never mentioned before... like "field work" and similar jazz. If you have something to say, try stating your case correctly from the beginning... don't start adding details later on.

Are you really expecting us to read minds?

Wow. Lol you might want to go decaffeinated

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I refuse to buy anything without an IPS.

The problem is, once you go retina, going to an Air is not going to be fun.

So, if you want to go light then...........

The iPads and retinas, have really spoiled me.

True, you could just use an ipad with Air display, or Splashtop (which is what I'm doing now). This actually works well, but it requires A MAIN COMPUTER, not really a decent travel option eh?

As far as this new 13 being anemic, it is what it is. Waiting for Haswell, or Maxwell, or whatever it is, is......a wait.

Enjoy that :D

Just some thoughts

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I was certainly interested in seeing what the 13 in was going to offer--and now I know I made the right decision with the base 15"--no way am I trading this one in. :)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Also, I'm going to try it and if I detect ANY lag, it goes back. Simple as that.

So in other words, for me, I'm holding on to my 15 retina until I test this thing thoroughly

I would advise ya all to do the same.

I like the 15 much, but it's a little hefty. Me being a pathetic wimp, I need something more.....wimpish :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.