Who else is waiting for 3G performance benchmarks?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Beric, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I pretty much have to get a Touch, like the latest update it or not. I want 32GB. Apple has the 2G 32GB refurbs for $250+tax. So, the only question is whether the extra money for the supposedly faster processor is worth the extra money.

So, who else is waiting for benchmarks before buying?

2. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I am, too. If it uses an ARM Cortex processor like the iPhone 3GS does, it will be way faster than the old version. If they just raised the clock speed of the old device to 600 Mhz or something, it's not worth buying for me.

By the way, I found a performance benchmark in the iTunes Store, named Gauge Mathematical Tool. Whoever has the new iPod touch already should run it and tell us what score the new iPod touch gets.

My thought is that there is a new chipset, since its graphics now support openGL 2.0, so that's hope that there is the cortex inside.

3. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Well, still waiting for those benchmarks before I buy. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

4. Miko macrumors member

I am in a very similar situation. I need a touch and it's going to be the 32GB.

There is an article of the teardown of the ipod touch 3g at http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod-touch-3rd-Generation/1158/2 and it mentions the processor stuff so post back of what you find cuz i honestly cant understand all these tech terms.

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

There are a couple of speed test videos up on youtube and the Touch 3G appears to be slightly faster than the 3GS. Don't have the links but they are featured on the front page of iLounge.

6. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

The iPod touch has a newer version of the 3GS processor.

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I want to see battery life comparisons. If it's significantly worse, I can't say I'll buy one. The 2G already had abysmal battery life when playing games. I want to play games for longer, not for half an hour. :mad:

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't know what games you play, but Sally's Spa got me playing for 2 hours straight. I had at least 70-80% battery left.

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Payback's a b**ch (for battery life) :p. I got great times with music, Safari was decent.

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

11. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Im not sure of the exact definition. But its speed tests and what not. How fast it compares, boot up times, and ect.

12. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

2 a : a point of reference from which measurements may be made b : something that serves as a standard by which others may be measured or judged c : a standardized problem or test that serves as a basis for evaluation or comparison (as of computer system performance)

merriam-webster

13. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

If it's faster than a 3GS then I'm going to get one.

14. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Here's an example of a general benchmark on the App Store:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324905769&mt=8

And yes, I wrote it, so this is kind of a shameless plug, but it's only 99 cents and can do a lot of other things.

15. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

A few here have the 3G already. Could you start a new thread and ask for someone to try it? My purchase decision depends on whether the performance increase is significant. You could even offer a promo code just so someone would try it.

16. thefatmould macrumors member

According to http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4291/apple-ipod-touch-third-gen

So, how about the stuff you don't see? Well, the biggest bump for the third generation is at the heart of the device - the CPU and the RAM. Both have been raised to match the iPhone 3GS, so it's now packed with a 833MHz ARM-Cortex 8 processor that's been underclocked to 600MHz most likely to protect the battery life. As it goes, the battery has dropped a little on the last incarnation going down from 36 hours for audio to 30 - either the result of a more realistic estimate than the first time or quite possibly because of having more power-hungry insides.

I have a feeling that it is a guess but it could be true.