Who else is waiting for Montevina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibizarocks, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2007
    I for one have been wiating for Penryn for a long time and was willing to buy an MBP in sept until I heard of the supposed nearby release date. We are not 'apparently' not long from the Penryn update but now I'm thinking I'd be an absolute idiot to buy it seeing as though in June which is just over 4 months away Montevina is being released which will see the processor speeds of the Penryn chips bumped up to 3Ghz at the top end! Couple this with the bumped up speed of the frontside bus and you've got a serious, worth while upgrade!! Plus with the worldwide news of Bluray winning the format war there is a sure fire bet that these drives will be included in the standard option mbp. I don't think I'd even be over the top in saying the mbp would get a complete case redesign with all of this as well!

    Penryn just seems like an 'it'll do for now' upgrade for me so I'm waiting for one that is worth while! Who else is thinking this way now?
  2. wildwobby macrumors member

    Nov 3, 2007
    Yeah... and then in late 2008 Nehalem processors is coming. And then in early 2009 Capella chipset. Its a never ending cycle if you didn't already know that.
  3. jus407 macrumors member

    Jan 25, 2008
    yeah i think i will just by a cheap-o laptop to tie me over until the new centrino 2 chips to arrive along with the new case design!

    but my reasoning if because i dont need a laptop now i just want one...
  4. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

    Oct 2, 2007

    yeh i did notice but Penryn just seems the most pointless out the lot of the updates coming up!
  5. pgseye macrumors member

    Sep 19, 2007
    I'm willing to wait a few more weeks, but my Powerbook G4 is costing me in productivity.

    What if it takes another 2 months on top of the slated release time to actually have Montevina in a laptop (production issues etc - as with current Penryn/Santa Rosa refresh). That puts you at 5-6 months out.

    I'm not worried what's past this minor update (hopefully there will be one),a s I'll be buying then.
  6. wildwobby macrumors member

    Nov 3, 2007
    Not really actually,

    Nehalem is thing I would be most excited about out of any of the future intel chipset and processor updates.

    Montevina doesn't offer too much besides higher bus speeds.

    And Penryns a nice upgrade too. Your seeing an increse of clock speed... 2.4 to 2.6 or 2.2 to 2.5 which is 200mhz/300mhz increase respectively. You'll also probably see some new stuff on the high end models to give some more seperation between the 2. and not to mention the mhz for mhz, penryn is faster than merom. Penryns are not a minor upgrade in terms of preformace.
  7. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

    G.I. Joe

    Jan 3, 2008
    Please don't make this an official waiting thread. It's too soon for it! :p

    I'm waiting for whatever update is next. I'm waiting to switch, naturally I want the best i can get for my money.
  8. aforty macrumors 65816


    Nov 27, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not me. I'm blindly buying the next MBP update that's coming out.

    I've been waiting since September, enough is enough.
  9. azngamer808 macrumors member

    Apr 18, 2007
    AGREED! :)
  10. Gus! macrumors member


    Feb 15, 2008
    Down Under
    It makes me wonder though, Penryn has been out for a little while havent they (correct me if i'm wrong) but they may even not update to penryn and go strait to montevina, crazy theory i know but it could happen. :cool:

    Having said that anything could happen...
  11. Macnator macrumors 6502

    Jan 25, 2008
    I gave up playing the waiting game.......... I caved and purchased a current gen MBP. Awesome machine.... I would say if you cannot wait... then buy it... nothing is stopping you. The computer world is rapidly changing everyday... no matter what you buy... it will never be the latest "thing" at least not for long...... I have a Dell Desktop which is a few years old... it is still going strong..... This MBP will still do everything I want it to... just because a new update comes out doesn't mean that the previous gen models just randomly stop working..
  12. Azmordean macrumors 6502

    Mar 10, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    I honestly don't see what is so spectacular about Montevina. It seems like a pretty standard chipset upgrade - nothing earth shattering. Penryns of course aren't earth-shattering either. There really is no one upgrade that, to me, screams "I have to wait for that." If you wait for the next great thing, you'll never buy a computer - you'll keep waiting forever.

    My hope for the new MBPs is as follows:
    1. Penryns (a given)
    2. Better video card option.
    3. MacBook Air style keyboard.

    As long as 1 and 2 are present, I'll likely buy. If its just Penryns and the same old video card, I'll likely keep waiting. I know the MBP isn't a super game machine, but I'd like it to at least be reasonably capable, so I'm not wild about the current (aging) video options.
  13. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

    Twilight Elk

    Aug 31, 2007
    I'm going to wait for Penryn, unless something comes up that pushes me to buy a MBP around late Summer.
  14. mvaj92 macrumors member

    Sep 10, 2007
    Wait, wait wait... It seems thats what many people on this Forum does. If your just going to wait for the next best thing in technology, you will find yourself very unsatisfied. I can understand that you would like to have the latest and greatest, but with the rate of advancement in technology, When you buy the current "latest and greatest", a few months down the road that will become outdated, and you will think, "Why didn't I wait?".

    I believe that if you buy a computer that suits your needs, you don't need one a few months down the road. Your needs won't likely change as much as technology. Of course if your needs have changed, that justifies a new computer.

    Just my .02
  15. rwskemer macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2008
    I'm soon going to be a "switcher" as I've finally seen the light. I have a Dell XPS M1330 at the moment, but see myself purchasing a MBP. The MB would be very similar in size to the M1330, but it doesn't have enough punch. The MBP doesn't seem to be THAT much larger / heavier.

    I'm in the same boat about waiting for Montevina or purchase as soon as the Penryns come out. I agree, that as soon as one new chipset or processor is released, the next one is but a few months away. It's so ridiculous now that we have names for the next 2-3 chipsets and processors of the future!

    I think what many people care a lot about is also the body of the machine. I know if I purchased a 2008 model of a car and in 2009 they completely revamped it, I'd feel terrible. If I purchased a 2008 model of a car and in 2009 the body stayed the same but they increased the specs somewhat, I wouldn't be bothered too much.

    I think whatever the next revision for the MBPs are is what I'm going to go for. I have to make this switch already! I just need to throw up my Dell's on Craig's List and hopefully not that TOO much of a hit!

    Glad to hopefully be part of your side very soon!
  16. Watabou macrumors 68040


    Feb 10, 2008
    United States
    I will say **** it and I'm just going to buy one that is going to come(penryn). I can then enjoy rather than read these waiting threads and be excited at the slightest bit of rumors. :(

    If it won't update this Tuesday I will....I will...wait the next Tuesday? :eek:

Share This Page