Who else thinks a job in the Apple Store would be soooo cool?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 22, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I'm only 14 so I can't do it yet, but a job that requires me to do what I do and love to do all the time - talk about Apple products - while in a place full of them... And get payed for it certainly sounds like a job for me!!! :)

Anyone else think it would be a dream job?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no retail job is a dream job, apple or not imo

in fact, id go as far and say i would rather not work in retail period

3. bartelby macrumors Core

4. bananabar macrumors regular

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I bet Starbucks pays better and, I like coffee almost as much as I like Macs.

6. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I doubt I would be able to afford my $2500 MBP if I worked in an Apple retail store.

And, I resent that remark. I am a true Apple fan and, I am also a smart one.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

plus id love to learn how to make drinks and be around coffee smells all day. not to mention all the cuties that would walk in. on second thought, maybe not starbucks but a local coffee house would be more fun

i am not an apple fan lol. i just happen to like some of their offerings. mainly osx and ipods

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

+1 x 10 divided by 100

Retail sucks ... period.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'll tell you of a good place to work at that would be soooo cool.

Google.

12. Tosser macrumors 68030

Perhaps not (thank god), but many of us have tried retail, and don't have the tendencies to even become fanboys.

In short: No, I wouldn't like to work at an Apple Store. And if you think working in retail is about "talking about what you love" you will simply need to wait till you're old enough to go out there to see for yourself.

13. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

From what I see, you have to answer questions when people ask you them, and obviously make the products sound good so people buy them... Is there more?

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You also have to deal with a lot of stupid people, a lot of very rude people, people who make an argument if you don't tell them what they want to hear, people who think they know more than you and will act as if YOu are the stupid one...

Believe me, I thought working in retail was easy too. It's not.

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

You have to listen to a persons wants and needs, not just blather on about "the latest and greatest", for one. It's not as simple as answering questions. Some people don't even know what answers to ask. That's your job to determine needs and wants.

Secondly, you have to meet certain goals, and have a "way" with people. Hopefully not the way of the usual salesman who knows nothing, doesn't listen and thinks he knows it all, including what the customer needs, even if the customer knows that full well.

What's worse is salesmen who gets offended when their sales pitch doesn't work because the customer are well-informed beforehand. Or are spewing regular nonsense and hear-say in order to sway a customer, even though the salesman has no experience whatsoever, except an experience in putting forth said sales pitch.

Of course, those are not the entire story, but retail is certainly not for anyone. Well, "sale" in general is not for everyone.

Sometimes the customer DO know more than the sales person. For obvious reason since he might be working with - in this instance - computers just as many hours a day as you do selling them.

But you're right: There are many idiotic customers.

16. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Fools! :D

Ahh well, my weekend morning random idea was stupid... Not the first time!

17. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Plus, you'll have to stock, clean the store, and maybe the bathroom, count tills, brush your teeth, comb your hair, take out trash, and wash windows.

18. Tosser macrumors 68030

Trust me, if you continue with that notion, you will be exactly the type of sales person who knows specs and prices but have no real idea of anything except what he himself likes and wants.
    I can't help but think of boat sales persons at boat shows. Man, are they utterly ignorant.

Haha, yeah – I forgot about that. :p

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you know what the best job is at 14? working on a golf course

you dont deal with people and when you do its fellow golfers, you get free golf, and the work is on your own outside enjoying the weather and the birds

it is seriously relaxing and great

but only when its nice out so not this time of year lol

20. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

People don't seem to understand that :D = joke these days!

I know what you mean about crap salespeople, though, there was a very bad Genius at the Apple Store went we went back with the iMac after we got a problem with condensation in the screen... He just went "what do you want me to do about it?" and was generally crap.

I'm learning Objective-C so I can make apps for the App Store! :)

Now that would be a cool job coz I don't have to deal with people at all (except when I ask for help on here) and I'll get as much money as I'm willing to work for basically :)

21. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I think I might apply to an Apple store once I transfer to a university. Sounds like a relaxing job with college-kid coworkers :)

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's a tough, typical retail job.

You work hard all day answering questions that can either be ultra-repetitive or completely out of left field. If you seem even slightly off-hand because you've answered the same question 350000 trillion billion times that day or a little flustered because you don't have the answer to a totally odd question right away you get labelled rude or stupid and lambasted on forums such as this one.

You meet some great people, learn so much interesting stuff and you really can develop a great sense of community.

It's a job. You do it to make money to live and eat, if you can have a little fun while you do then that's great.

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'm an Apple fan, but to be honest I'd rather not have to deal with people as a line of work. I would if I had no other choice, but I'd rather not. Most people are okay, some of barely civil and you would consistently get the nasty ones. Nice customers are a bit harder to come by, at least around here. Plus, being in a position like that and having to deal with the same stupid questions would irritate mildly... :p

Starbucks takes very good care of their Employees I hear. Stock options, Elder Care, Health Benefits, Free Coffee... Oh, bliss! I've thought about working their before, if nothing other than to see what it's like.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

People who work in chocolate factories get sick of chocolate very quickly. ;)