Who else thinks easily bendable iPhones can be explained with a flawed anodized batch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Sep 23, 2014.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Can we get the serial numbers of all the users with the bent phones and see if they were in a similar batch where the anodized process was flawed? it could explain the low number of people reporting the issue rather than 100s of people reporting it

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Putting a thin phone made of aluminum in your back pocket and then sitting down, with your butt being curved as well can also explain bent phones. But I too would be interested to see if there is a batch relation. :)

3. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

Looking a tthe few reports and this poll here

[​IMG]

I truely this this is a case of a flawed batch of anodized aluminium where the metal near the volume buttom was not properly anodized and became soft. as a result either the thigh pressure bent an already soft metal or when a person is making a call, the pressure put by pressing the top of the phone with face made the soft metal bend slightly

when the metal already become more malleable, any bigger push of significance would bend it more. thus bend gate., even in the youtube video the phone did not bend near the sim it bent near the volume button and in fact in nearly every case it was near or around the volume button area

4. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Perhaps because that is the thinnest part of the (actual) case frame, due to the presence of the switches?

This is not a mystery, folks...

5. bob24 macrumors 6502

Exactly ...

Not a faulty batch .... a design decision.

6. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

if it was a design decision then it would be happening to at least 50 percent of users but apparently there are not more than 6-8 cases at macrumors and 4-5 outside on twitter and facebook

similar to Xbox 360 RROD. it affected the console as a design decision and within month one affected 40 percent of users

its also similar to antenna gate which affected iPhone 4 who within the first week, it affected 70% of owners who lost signal holding the bands.

if you want to call it a design now, with more than 8 million iPhone 6s in the wild, you would expect even 20% reporting this which would account to more than 1.5 million users

7. fmcarv macrumors 6502

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

How many threads on this do we really need?

The best explanation is sensationalist media. One guy posts a photo online, and it's suddenly the best thing since sliced bread advert-revenue wise.

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Maybe some people are just being more careful then others and that is resulting in a lower percentage of 6+ phones bending. :rolleyes:

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Call me crazy but I've never thought it was a good idea to sit down with a phone of any kind in a back pocket, let alone a thin 5.5" in phone. However, apparently some reports are that it is happening to someone with it in their front pocket of a pair of slacks which in my case are actually a bit looser in the front pocket than jeans. I've had mine in my front pocket with no issues. I've also been using a Spigen iPhone 6 Plus Case Thin Fit since Monday.

11. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

The hate is very strong this year. Everything will be blown way out of proportion.

12. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Its proven that a phone can bend if you put it in tight pants pockets. Do you:

(1) not do that.

(2) do it anyways and then complain about it.

13. soundxplorer macrumors member

Most of the bends I've seen are near the volume buttons - a place where the holes in the chassis obviously make it weaker. It's more likely to be a design flaw instead of a manufacturing flaw.

14. bob24 macrumors 6502

It's a design decision which makes it more prone to permanent damage than many other phones when you apply strong enough pressure - a decision which was probably deemed an acceptable trade-off for the lightweight and premium looking feel of a thin an large phone made of aluminium.

It doesn't mean the phone will bend for a majority of customers after a week. It is just more likely to permanently bend if you pressure it.

15. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

wouldnt this affect the 6 as much as the plus if it was a design as the size of buttons and area is the same, there have been 3 videos of people trying to bend the plus and 6 around the area and all failed. if it were a design flaw wouldnt all 3 be able to bend it?

16. 617aircav Suspended

it only bends with pressure, so the wearer must definitely feel it in their tight pockets when they sit down. they choose to ignore it.

17. Konvictz macrumors regular

At least in the rrod situation microsoft extended the warranty which was nice. I for some strange reason had and still have an original xbox 360 which still did not get rrod very strange.

I still have my old iphone 4 and if i do a death grip with my left hand the signal still cuts out, but that has never affected me beacuse im right handed and even if I was left handed, I dont hold my phone like that.

This time it is different because the phone is literally deforming

No, phones bending is not hate, even as an Apple customer this concerns me. No other phone bends like this iphone plus.

18. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

but again a design decision would have more voices out in the wild rather than 25 all over the web

19. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

+1

20. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Do I think metal is more malleable because of anodized coating? No.

21. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

And there will likely be more voices, but you somehow refuse to get the idea that this being the type of potential issue it is will require a lot more settle time to get any real metrics and instead, make post after post, starting thread after thread...

Not everyone's lives revolve around the internet and devices...thankfully.

22. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

its been a week, with more than 8 million iphones in the wild, 25 is a pretty low number for a design flaw. it could change yes I admit and I will be the first one to criticize apple but based on the outcry which is very few actual affected users. the theory points to a flawed batch but I guess 1 whole month of using the phones SHOULD bend their phones right? even 2 months, right?

23. fmcarv macrumors 6502

No other phones are made of this material. They're made of cheap plastic and 3 times the thickness.

And by the way phones are not bending....2 people bent their phones....with what motif we don't know

24. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

if Kim Kardashian got the iphone 6+ and put dat in her back pocket, it would come out as a LG Flex.

25. highlightshadow macrumors regular

I'll admit physics was never my strong suit .... but i remember the Mythbusters 'Antacid Jailbreak' episode and it made me think that a much smaller amount of curving pressure but evenly spread over the whole device (like in a back pocket) would bend the phone easier than trying to bend it using a couple of small pressure points .... like your thumbs...