Who else thinks that Apple will update everything today APART from the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sue De Nimes, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I am really beginning to think this is on the cards....

2. Madmats macrumors member

Not to be pessimistic, but yeah. Doesn't feel good this. I wonder what's keeping them from it though, waiting for updated mobile GPU's from Nvidia? Or just to have something to update in the fall?

3. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

I don't. Because then Mr Cook would've written "the week Almost all of us have been waiting for" as the tag line for WWDC. Now he wrote, "the week we've all been waiting for". It makes all the difference. ;)

Keeping my hopes up.

4. Sue De Nimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

5. pelle41 macrumors newbie

No matter how this keynote is going to end, it's still possible that the iMac gets a silent update. If it's just a simple spec bump for the iMac, there's actually no need for Cook to show it at the WWDC next to a retina macbook and a revived mac pro. This would just look laughable for a company such as Apple but since the iMac refresh is overdue, they could make it silent.

edit: and by a silent update I mean a silent update today.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

More likely they will upgrade everything but the Mac mini.

Short of a redesign, there isn't much they can do with the iMac (or mini, for that matter) other than the latest processors and USB 3. And those changes can be made without the hoopla we'll see with the notebooks.

7. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

Can't see it tbh. Even if it were going to be a silent update, it would have shown up in all the model numbers.

It doesn't look remotely good for an iMac release in the immediate future :-(

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Supply constants at third party retailers is the one thing giving me hope. 

9. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

And the leaked benchmark results!

10. mikdog macrumors member

I feel kind of bad for the people that waited so long for a new iMac. I was nearly one of them. But I decided to spring for a pimped out 27" and I'm pretty pleased that I did.

Regardless, you may be surprised and Cook may have decided to make a splash at the helm by refreshing the entire line. Even if that is the case, my current iMac pretty much rocks for me.

11. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Well, if they don't release new iMacs at WWDC this year, will they perhaps announce new iMacs at least and say when they will come? *wishful thinking*

12. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

No, not apple's M.O

13. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Though, neither is upgrading this much HW at WWDC. ;)

14. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I´ve given up all hope now :( I doubt there will be new any iMacs.....I´m so frustrated I have no words to express my feelings. I need a new iMac, I refuse to buy the old one and now I´m pretty certain we now will experience the Mac Pro syndrome on the iMac....iMac 2013 then, if I can hold off that long, if not I´ll switch to PC :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Here is the problem, or maybe it's a good thing.

I recently bought the latest model iMac, 27", CPU and Video bump, added some Ram and came to the realization that this iMac is PERFECT !!!

You really cannot improve on perfection, so Apple realizing that will pretty much let it be as it is now ..... PERFECT !!!! :D

16. dmorgan macrumors member

People who do casual gaming on their Macs (like me) could really use some updated hardware (CPU, GPU etc).

17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I hear this same thing prior to each and every update/refresh which leads me to the following conclusion:

Gamers will never be satisfied and always chomping at the bit for a little more CPU, a little more GPU.

If I was into gaming, even on a casual basis I'd probably put together my own Windows based system dedicated solely to gaming and use the iMac for more productive activities, which is exactly what we have done here.

We have one Windows machine, along with a PS3, XBox360, and WII that stand alone with a big screen TV just for that purpose.

We've tried the combo thing in the past but when I need to get some work done, I need to get it done when it needs to get done and NOT at the next 'save point' of this game or that game. LOL

Is the Apple Store back up yet? I need to order some stuff! :D

18. dmorgan macrumors member

I only play Diablo 3 on the computer, and use my PS3 for other games. It seems pointless buying a gaming PC for one or two games, when I can use my main machine that I love (OSX).

Since the iMacs use mobile GPUs, any speed bump they can get helps.

19. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

Then just get a new dell I-Mac clone and be done with mobile gpus.

20. mikdog macrumors member

Dude, I hear you. While I think there's always room for improvement, this iMac suits my needs ninja. If I had ONE gripe I'd say it would be great if it came with a mini UPS for when power cuts happen but I don't think that's likely to happen. Apart from that, I'm glad I didn't wait. -but- to all the people waiting - iMacs may still be announced. Seriously though, next time, don't keep waiting for something so darn long. Even the new Macbook Pros don't offer a MASSIVE advantage over the previous models. There's not a heck of a lot to gain IMO. I still use a 2008 Macbook for some stuff that functions like a SOLDIER.

Sure, if you keep reading these forums, people that have been waiting themselves will egg you on to keep waiting. Soon, you've invested too much time into something to go out and buy it before a new one arrives...which could be WHENEVER?!? The current iMac model, IMO, rocks super hard and unless there was a BLATANT issue with all models, THEN sure I'd say, wait. But I can multitask loads of intensive apps (Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Final Cut Express etc...) and there's nary a hiccup in performance. I have a pretty kitted out 27".

If games are what you're after ... well, then you probably should have gone with PC. But, even the current iMac I'd imagine, would rock in that department.

Anyways. My 2c.

21. dmorgan macrumors member

That defeats the purpose of owning a Mac... OSX.

22. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Dell all in ones also have mobile GPUs.

23. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

OSX for the PC is out there, you just need to know where to look...and not fret too much about the Russian mafia having remote control.