Who else will swap iPhone for google phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Camaro6700, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Camaro6700 macrumors member

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I did the droid eris for about a week and hated having to jury rig a way for it to interface with my Mac. I'll take an iPhone, poor reception (in my case) and slightly pricier service, any day.

3. Camaro6700 thread starter macrumors member

i just assumed it would work flawlessly with a mac and hope it still will, otherwise your right and it would be annoying to have to keep messing with it.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm planning on waiting until the summer with the small hope that Apple will make some changes with the next iPhone model and/or software update (4.0).

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

The "google phone" is no more google than the G1 was. It's a next generation HTC phone.

6. Rychy macrumors 6502

I'll be considering it... I absolutely love my iPhone and would hate to give it up, but it's ridiculous what it's costing to use a cellphone these days. If it's really data only and like $30 bucks a month, that be hard to ignore when I'm currently paying like $90 something a month for the most basic iPhone plan with a few text messages.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

HTC designed and built the G1 the way they wanted to build it.

The Google Phone design is completely controlled by Google. Whatever Google wanted, they got. HTC is just building it for them.

How do you consider that to be the same thing? They have 2 entirely different designers.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any phone with the Android software installed could be considered a "Google Phone"
    The Droid is also a Google phone.
    Thats like calling a particular cellphone that came with Windows Mobile "The Windows Phone"
    There is many many different versions of them and any previous or future models would/could also be called the same.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, "a" Google Phone as Google designed the software.

But I'd call the one phone that had both the software and hardware designed by Google to be "the" Google Phone.

10. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Not really

It'll make a nice off contract phone to use outside of the UK (with local SIM cards) and perhaps also a replacement for my old SonyEricsson M600 which currently holds my work SIM card. For the UK (where I don't carry around my business phone too often), the iPhone has replaced and iPod Touch (music) and two phones (voice and data which were split across two networks).

Besides, the 'drod development network is a long way from having the breadth and depth of the AppStore.

Edit: Oh, and here the the UK, there is no element of "escaping the network". O2 is better than many give it credit for and Orange is probably the strongest network in terms of coverage (they're just not comparable to US carriers).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You would, but I dont think Google will call it "The Google Phone" :D

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well I call the iPhone "the apple phone" and I don't expect them to use that either! I'm ok with that. ;)

13. carlgo macrumors 68000

Hmmm. My iPhone screen is half-dead, out of warranty, a new iPhone means a new and more expensive two-year contract, AT&T has no reception here, T-Mobile does, Google/T-Mobile will offer pay as you go.... such a hard choice.

The iPhone will probably remain a nicer design and integrates so well with Apples' other fine software, but price and actual phone reception mean something, a lot of something.

Apple could counter with pay as you go and a choice of carriers. That would eliminate the cost and reception problems and I would stay with them.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I hear that.

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I won't be swapping. The google phone will be good I can imagine but I somehow don't believe it will ever have the ease of simplicity or the engine of the app store, so I will definitely be sticking with the iPhone for that :)

16. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I hope tmobile can offer a limited data plan for like less than $15 that uses 3g.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You call it the Apple phone? That's dumb.

I'm gonna go listen to my Apple mp3 player.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why do people insist on jumping onto a ship like this before a device is even reviewed? I didn't buy an iPhone until I had actually used one in an Apple Store.

I also don't get why people think Google is some great mobile phone maker. I still don't know a single person with an Android-based phone. You're still talking about a device that is a response to the iPhone with Lord-knows-what features that actually are worth a darn.

As for the price, I can get you an HP laptop for $400 if you think cheaper products are better. If you want to head for some prepaid T-Mobile plan, go ahead, but be warned that you're going to get what you pay for.

19. MTI macrumors 65816

Very easy answer, it's mostly the sign/result of a younger customer base that is not particularly brand-centric. That willingness to "jump ship" and "try new brands" is why retailers find the sub-30 demographic the holy grail of consumers.

20. Camaro6700 thread starter macrumors member

I bought the first iPhone before I could play with it and then bought the 3GS before I could play with that release. I wanted to give it a chance and it has been a great phone. I don't know if this article is accurate or just a rumor, but if it is correct than I think it will offer a new type of service that is cheaper and can still offer something. I know its not the iPhone and i don't expect it to be. I just have come to the conclusion that I don't want to pay $80 a month for a cell phone. I do think the Android platform will be a nice system and have a lot to offer.

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

To be honest the Google phone looks promising. Apple's app store means jack to me as my phone refuses to load most all apps.

We will see. I have a feeling that since they are selling it unlocked and with all the features they wanted that it would be rather costly, but then again, I paid $600 for my first iphone. stupid, stupid, stupid.

Oh yeah, thanks JD. I almost forgot about the OLED!

22. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I'm gonna try it out since it will be sold unlocked it will be part of my gadget arsenal. From what I been reading the specs look promising and the OLED screen and the 1ghz processor will be a big plus.

23. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Every new touchscreen phone is the new iPhone killer and people flock to get the "killer" and then switch back to the iPhone. This case will be no different.

24. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I switched from my 3GS to the Droid.

I had the iPhone-iPhone 3G- and as stated, iPhone 3GS.

Never ever going back to AT&T's horrible horrible service even though I did like the iPhone but the Droid is just the same, if not better than it.

25. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...-not-htc-designed-the-g1-android-phone-470612

could you be any more wrong? i thought it was pretty well known that google designed the g1 so all this sensationalism about the nexus one is just a blatant attempt by tech journalists to create drama and drive traffic. they all know (and if they dont they are incompetent) yet they are creating this sensationalized story that google is going to cause the open handset alliance to implode. give me a break.