Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOS11 iPad-style dock on the iPhone?

• Would love it!

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • Don't want it.

Votes: 26 41.9%

• Total voters

-BigMac-

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I personally would love to have iOS11 iPad-style dock on the iPhone.

Would youuuu?:D

ios-111.jpg

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
There’s some obvious problems with it, as it’s implemented on the iPad, scaled down to the phone.

The average iPad (lets define “average” as a 9.7 for the sake of argument) is more often than not used in landscape, and still significantly bigger than the average iphone (lets say the standard 6/6s/7) size. Even more so because that standard phone is only used in the home screen in portrait (landscape home screen is only available on plus size). That is to say, there really isn’t much more to include more icons of tappable size on it. First potential benefit down.

Then there’s the multitasking aspect of it. 1) It’s not implemented on phones 2) The spaces concept would be difficult to use on phone if it were. Strike 2

Finally, the gesture itself. Short swipe up brings up the dock while long swipe up from the bottom enters multitasking on iPad. There’s enough room for control centre and multitasking there. Doesn’t make sense on the phone. I guess it could be short for Dock and long for CC but again, not much utility with only 4 icons and no space for Handoff/Recent/Suggested icons. Strike 3 I think.

What I’m getting at is, I can’t really see the point. It could look more like the iPad dock on the home screen but that’s probably about it. I’d quit like that. I can’t really vote for your options though.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
The biggest annoyance with this is that it would take two swipes up to get to control center. With the iPads you can do a four finger swipe up to access control center but this isn’t possible on an iPhone sized screen

-BigMac-

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The visual aspect? Yes. I've hated the post-iOS7 dock since it first released and the iOS11 floating dock is visually superior.

Functionality wise, no. It would be extremely cumbersome on my SE.
Yeh i was more asking about the visual aspect of the dock :) i personally dont like the flat simplistic look the dock 'bar' it is right now. Some more flair could be nice :)

Reactions: Feyl and yep-sure

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yep up for a floating dock for the visual side of it.

Sorry to derail but on iPad to the icons get smaller if you've got a lot of icons? thinking about rotating from landscape to portrait in particular

Reactions: -BigMac-

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The biggest annoyance with this is that it would take two swipes up to get to control center. With the iPads you can do a four finger swipe up to access control center but this isn’t possible on an iPhone sized screen

You don't need to do 2 swipes to get to control center on the iPad.

Just do 1 continuous extended swipe up!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
no harm in discussing these things, but apple is not going to implement this... to accomodate the desire of 13 people (at the moment i'm writing this); even if that number got to 13,000 on the poll. apple does what it chooses to do.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
no harm in discussing these things, but apple is not going to implement this... to accomodate the desire of 13 people (at the moment i'm writing this); even if that number got to 13,000 on the poll. apple does what it chooses to do.
you must be new here

Reactions: -BigMac-

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I wish the background was gone completely, it annoys the crap out of me that it takes up so much space at the bottom of the home screen.

Sigh... I wish I would’ve never updated to 11 beta.
IMG_3101.PNG

-BigMac-

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
haha maybe they wont, maybe they will.

I was the first person in the world to create a thread about an idea of Apple implementing 'iMessage on Mac' that thread got over 60,000 views, and some of the people absolutely slammed the idea. Turned out I was right, and was ahead of the ball :)

Not saying I will be right about this, but it doesn't hurt to speculate :)

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro

I have a gift for you. As you swipe up to reveal the dock, continue swiping up!

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I would, I can certainly handle much smaller icons and would LOVE more apps within a thumbs reach. And I could see just dragging a little higher to get to control center.

I really would rather have unlimited and the ability to scroll back and forth, I hate having any controls or icons ear the top of the phone. Most of the time I lightly tape the home button to reach the top icons but what happens when the home button is gone?

So yeah, but scrolling and unlimited would be amazing.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
In playing with the dock on my iPad Pro 12.9" unit I found out that you can mess things up by trying to put too many apps in the dock. I had apps that appeared to be stacked on top of other apps and then I could not open either.

Given the small real estate on the iPhone I feel this would cause many unforeseen problems. Just one small one is that if yo can really place as many apps as you want in the dock then especially on the iPhone you would quickly reach the point where the apps would be off the screen to the left or right and you'd have to scroll to find them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.