Who else would rather see Apple skip to Montevina??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibizarocks, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

I want a MBP as much as the next person and have been waiting since September BUT does anyone else think that Penryn isn't the update we're all waiting for and that we should hold out for Monty?

That's a real update!!

DDR3
    Smaller size
    Definate case re-design
    Likely GPU upgrade
    New trackpad / keyboard (marmite)
    HDMI
    WiMax

to name a few things to look forward to... what are we seriously getting with the Penryn update???

I would now rather see my money go a hell of a lot further by holding out a few more months. Some may say that Apple is behind the competition but it isn't by much. If people want Apple they will buy Apple! Also it would be good to see them work on something truely worthy of an update and unleash it later in the year that will literally blow everything else out of the water!!!

2. BigPana macrumors newbie

BigPana

Does anyone even sell DDR3? And how much do the sticks cost?

3. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

not sure about that one. doubt it'll be rediculous whatever the cost is.

4. bubble27 macrumors regular

As soon as DDR3 is realeased believe me crucial will be the first to let them out!

Its a business dont forget, they not thinking about us users, computers were never like that, not even systems analysts!

All about the money guys!

Yeh montevina is what i'd wait for if i knew apple was defo adopting them by the summer!

They'll be released before that BUUUT big question is when does apple use them?

I think you should add *Possible quad-core* to that list... :rolleyes:

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

DDR3 RAM will be very expensive for the first 2-3 years. I think Montevina will be a huge update for every computer.

The one thing I do not understand is why people keep complaining about the case. There is really nothing wrong with it, if anything fix that damn MB...ugly as hell. If they change the keyboard to the MB keyboard I will not upgrade my MBP until they fix it. GPU might happen...depends if they can keep that damn heat down...nobody wants a 200 degree laptop?

I don't think HDMI will happen.

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I'd rather see a "small" update if that means Penryn and multitouch. Magnet latch would be a nice bonus.

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Montevina will be nice BUT, I think it may be short lived... the successor to Montevina (can't remember the name) should be the chipset to finally support intel's native (single die) quad core mobile CPU.

8. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Please tell me why you think you need multitouch?
    What is the big thrill with it?
    I think it is useless.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Have you used multitouch on your laptop?
    Don't knock it 'til you try it.

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yeah, multitouch for me is just meh. I use a mouse 99% of the time with the laptop.

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Multitouch would be pretty cool, but I don't think I would use it that much.

Dude...the desktop you made in your sig is FRESH....what you got in there if you dont mind me asking?

12. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Specifically because I don't want to carry the BT mouse to school. I would love to get more gesture functionality out of a trackpad.

The main reason I mentioned it though, those are the two features I'm fairly certain will be in the next revision, whenever it is. I was simply stating I'd rather see a small revision along those lines than waiting several more months for a larger change. If I believed there would be a gpu change, case redesign, or bump in RAM / HDD in the base models I would have mentioned those. But I don't. :)

13. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Q6600 Intel overclocked to 3.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 6 Hard Drives, 3870 X2 Vid Card, X38 chipset. And of course, custom highest end water cooling. That pic is old though...
    I agree, I think a big update is coming with the release of Montevina, it only makes sense since this update will be minor in terms of new tech.

14. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Holy ****...that is god!! I wish I had one of those.

15. dmb3886 macrumors regular

guys, as soon as montevina comes out..talk will start about how much better the next chip is going to be

my 2 cents..jump on the bangwagon as soon as a refresh occurs, obviously not now cuz a better will be here soon- but seriously...waiting an excess 6 months when the new one is even out yet is pointless. Truth be told, technology is always getting faster and smaller and more for your money. No matter what you buy now will always be outdated tomorrow. Some words of advice - get whatever you want when you want it and be happy with what you got.

-dmb

16. kabunaru Guest

I would rather see Apple wait until Montevina and update to Monetevina once it's released. Penryn was meant for Montevina platform.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

oh please, every time a chip is released or nearing release we get one (or a few) of these threads. When the core duo came out we had people saying it was just a stop-gap for the core 2 duo... then people who said that buying a core 2 duo without santa rosa was silly because it was crippled with the RAM limit and slower bus... then people saying that SR was just a C2D with little changed, and that penryn was the next big thing...

It never ends. The next chip will always be better, but not that dramatically so. There's no reason whatsoever for apple, or buyers, to wait for montevina.

18. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Personally, I wouldn't. If the processors are available then Apple should always use the latest and greatest. It would actually not make a lot of sense for Apple to avoid using Montevina.

There's always going to be a processor down the line that looks the Next Best Thing...

Monty is still a way away. Additionally, when Monty is released, there's guaranteed to be a new mobile processor / platform that looks even better. If you keep looking months into the future you'll never buy a computer because there will always be something that looks better. Live in the present not months and months in to the future.

19. BigPana macrumors newbie

BigPana

Yes there is, if we're not in a hurry to get one. I don't think that anyone who actually NEEDS a new comp is waiting.