Who else's iPhone 5 battery is really, really bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pogoyoyo, Apr 17, 2014.

1. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

So since I woke up this morning and unplugged my iPhone 5 it's been 40 minutes and I'm down to 75%...
    I mean sure I turned on tunein radio but this is still pretty excessive.. It's usually dead by 3pm with just a text here and there and browsing Facebook from time to time.
    I really hope the iPhone 6 battery lasts at least double.. Because this is getting silly :(

2. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

I know what you mean. I just returned a 5 the other day due to sapphire glass imperfections and the battery was dogging on me. I would be down 30% in a few hours w/ hardly any use. I know the JB has something to do w/ it, but it kept getting worse and worse. Only 5 months to go mate. Stay strong.

3. kieran9810 macrumors member

Mine is also! Yesterday, even though i was using it heavily i still expect to get longer than 3 hours usage of my phone!

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

One solution is a Mophie battery pack. I brutally abuse my iPhone's battery. I'm on the iPhone constantly… text, email, voice and even quick information lookup. I bought a Mophie for my iPhone shortly after getting it for a trip to Walt Disney World… I was planning to take a lot of photos and didn't want to run out of juice in the parks.

I really can't recommend them enough.

5. magilla macrumors regular

Do any of you people have battery apps installed? Quite a few people have reported REALLY lousy battery performance after having installed battery maintenance/display apps - even through the App Store. Deleted battery apps & phone & battery back to functioning normally.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

I use a mophie juice pack air also. It helps when you are brutal with your phones battery life and nowhere to charge.

7. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

8. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Here. After the replacement program 2 months ago, I was glad it came back to normal. But it didn't even take a month until things started to go bad again. I have to charge it almost twice a day, and more often than not, it's on Airplane mode.

The lack of a co-processor is really killing me when using localization features and whatnot.

9. Playgear macrumors regular

The M7/M8 motion coprocessors do not assist in any way with location-wary features and apps. They are useful where you may have a fitness app that tracks your steps where on a device without it, the main chip would have to be on to track the movement data. But if you are trying for something like geo-tracking a run, the coprocessor will make no difference. The main chip still has to be working to process the GPS data.

10. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

You seem to be right on this one. I do not completely get however how the co-processor helps in motion detection with walking, running, running a bike, etc. but does not work in any way with the GPS. :confused:

11. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Apply for the Apple Replacement Program. You'll get a new battery.

12. jwball macrumors regular

Only if it falls within a serial number range.

13. willlovesoreos macrumors newbie

Same!

My iPod 5 battery sucks. I use it for just a little, maybe an hour, and its dead. I don't know why, but its really annoying!:mad:

14. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Seems to get worse with every OS update. I don't use background app refresh, location only for a few essential things, and I check email manually, but still it is using far more battery when idle than ever.

The phone was replaced by apple when I'd had it a year, so presumably the replacement had a new battery, and that is only a year old and isn't in the free replacement zone.

so, I'm sure it is an OS issue rather than the battery. I wish Apple would focus on fixing fundamentals like this in updates.