Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have a Nexus 4 here that I absolutely love. Sure I may have hated a few things about it and posted them here (battery and camera come to mind) but it's so blazingly fast otherwise. Who else perfectly content with their blazing fast old "flagship"?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm pretty content with my Galaxy S4. Bar the plastic casing which feels gross (a case is a must), it ticks every other box.

I am considering buying a phablet device though like the Note 4 or even iPhone 6+. I'll try them out in the coming months then decide.

If not then I wouldn't really have a problem running my S4 for another year or so.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm pretty content with my Galaxy S4. Bar the plastic casing which feels gross (a case is a must), it ticks every other box.

I am considering buying a phablet device though like the Note 4 or even iPhone 6+. I'll try them out in the coming months then decide.

If not then I wouldn't really have a problem running my S4 for another year or so.

I almost feel like purchasing an iPhone 6+ however it is an expensive investment for a student and secondly, after using iOS 8 on my iPad 2 I still feel Android to be better for me.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
<- still very happy with his HTC One M7 (converted into a GPE).

Only the camera sucks.. but for some photos while hiking or some quick snapshots it's good enough. People bitch way too much about it.

I'm pretty curious about Andoroid L; even more since iOS 8 is a joke IMHO.. even the new keyboards are nothing compared to their android counterparts.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The only reason I'm happy to now jump from phone to phone every 9-12 months now is if I basically get a massive bargain on a new flagship Android phone.

I got my LG G3 for just over £250 which made it worth it. Otherwise was happy enough on an S4.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the 2013 flagships are still awesome devices. It's just because I'm a gadget geek that I keep upgrading my phone.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Theres never a need to upgrade yearly from a functional point of view. Only reason people do it is because of the urge to have the latest shiny thing.

With Android L and the snapdragon 810 (which is designed for ultra hd screens and 64bit) around the corner it probably makes even more sense not to upgrade this year. However try telling that to masses.

I still think the Sony Ultra is still currently the best phone available in terms of design/build/screen size and OS collectively.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I was having a convo the other day with a fellow dev on xda and we both had the same point of view.

Whilst we both own and work on the galaxy mega 6.3 which is no means a flagship, it was interesting to note that this was the first phone that we didnt feel the need to upgrade on.

Its specs are middle of the road but its huge screen is the killer feature, and really renders tablets pointless as such mine went off for sale.

Samsung actually nailed it on the mega as the performance is decent enough for my use type, the screen res is sharp enough and big enough for good web browsing and media consumption. and it only cost circa 350 new.

Although i may get the huawei ascend mate 7 as a trial device but ill keep the mega regardless

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
My Note 2 has been awesome but honestly the screen resolution bothers me ever since I laid eyes on the Note 3 display. The phone also lags more and more, for example when I have a lot of notes in Keep or when I edit words in the middle of a sentence with Swype. So, I'm definitely looking forward to a power-up.

What I'm having a hard time deciding though is whether the Note 4 is worth twice as much as a Note 3 to me. I mean, if I settle for a Note 3, I could buy a whole freaking tablet with the spare cash. The Note 3 is still awesome and obviously a huge step up from the Note 2. So will the additional functionality and power of the Note 4 be worth the premium price, or would I be getting it only because of the urge for the latest and greatest? (Well, maybe it's all semantics since I know deep down what I will end up doing........uhhhhhhh damn you, gadget lust!! :cool:)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I've now had my HTC One m8 for 6 months, which is a long time for me, I normally last 3-4 months before changing my android phones. I converted it to GPE and with android l coming out and seeing the new android flagships, I'm fairly cconfident I'll hold on to this phone at least until next years HTC one comes out.

Unless the Nexus 6 just kills it.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
My Note 2 has been awesome but honestly the screen resolution bothers me ever since I laid eyes on the Note 3 display. The phone also lags more and more, for example when I have a lot of notes in Keep or when I edit words in the middle of a sentence with Swype. So, I'm definitely looking forward to a power-up.

What I'm having a hard time deciding though is whether the Note 4 is worth twice as much as a Note 3 to me. I mean, if I settle for a Note 3, I could buy a whole freaking tablet with the spare cash. The Note 3 is still awesome and obviously a huge step up from the Note 2. So will the additional functionality and power of the Note 4 be worth the premium price, or would I be getting it only because of the urge for the latest and greatest? (Well, maybe it's all semantics since I know deep down what I will end up doing........uhhhhhhh damn you, gadget lust!! :cool:)
Sometimes it pays to be slightly behind the latest tech as upgrading to the note 3 is still a massive step up and you'll be saving loads of cash. Then when the note 5 is released you could upgrade to the note 4, again saving loads. I may do this myself but I have to resist shiny temptations!

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Unless the Nexus 6 just kills it.

Damn, I had almost forgot about that one. I hope Google announces it soon so I can compare it to the N4 before my gadget lust gets the better of me.

Sometimes it pays to be slightly behind the latest tech as upgrading to the note 3 is still a massive step up and you'll be saving loads of cash. Then when the note 5 is released you could upgrade to the note 4, again saving loads. I may do this myself but I have to resist shiny temptations!

Aye, it is quite clear what reason dictates here.... But ohh so hard.... Actually I just discovered a place where I can trade in my Note 2 + iPhone 4s for about €350 if I buy a new phone so that does tip the scale in favour of the N4. Hm.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

The Note 3 still seems to be genuinely on par with every other flagship that's been released over the past 6 months--and it's a year old!

As much as I like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, I see very little compromise in choosing the Note 3 over the Note 4. What you gain on a Note 4, IMO, doesn't match the additional cost. It still has one of the best displays (I'm of the opinion that the costs of 2K outweigh the benefits, especially on a 5.7" device), a more than capable CPU and a ton of RAM. I also personally like the look of the Note 3 more, but of course that's subjective.

The Note 4 appears to be a class leading device but at least to my eyes, it's just an incremental upgrade--because its predecessor was also an industry leading phone. In your shoes I'd almost certainly get the Note 3.

Just my $0.02, of course.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I was medium happy with my SGS3, but I just wanted something faster and with no lag.

Bought the SGS5 this week and I'm very happy now. I plan on keeping this one for a lot of years if everything goes smoothly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
All this talk about old flagships had me nostalgic so I pulled out and powered up my old HTC One (M7) Dev Edition. After downloading and installing 4.4.3, I updated all of the Google apps/service and reacquainted myself with it.

I quickly remembered why I got it in the first place, really is a terrific device. The build quality and materials are terrific, has a great display, and most importantly, it still screams--very snappy and smooth. And I still believe Sense 6 is the best OEM skin on a device.

It also is, IMO, the optimum size--don't think it's a coincidence that the new iPhone 6 has nearly the same length and width dimensions.

I'd have no problem switching back to this device if I was forced to stop using my iPhone.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
All this talk about old flagships had me nostalgic so I pulled out and powered up my old HTC One (M7) Dev Edition. After downloading and installing 4.4.3, I updated all of the Google apps/service and reacquainted myself with it.

I quickly remembered why I got it in the first place, really is a terrific device. The build quality and materials are terrific, has a great display, and most importantly, it still screams--very snappy and smooth. And I still believe Sense 6 is the best OEM skin on a device.

It also is, IMO, the optimum size--don't think it's a coincidence that the new iPhone 6 has nearly the same length and width dimensions.

I'd have no problem switching back to this device if I was forced to stop using my iPhone.

Damn it now I want an M8:( seriously I've been wanting it for the time since launch.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The Note 3 still seems to be genuinely on par with every other flagship that's been released over the past 6 months--and it's a year old!

As much as I like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, I see very little compromise in choosing the Note 3 over the Note 4. What you gain on a Note 4, IMO, doesn't match the additional cost. It still has one of the best displays (I'm of the opinion that the costs of 2K outweigh the benefits, especially on a 5.7" device), a more than capable CPU and a ton of RAM. I also personally like the look of the Note 3 more, but of course that's subjective.

The Note 4 appears to be a class leading device but at least to my eyes, it's just an incremental upgrade--because its predecessor was also an industry leading phone. In your shoes I'd almost certainly get the Note 3.

Just my $0.02, of course.

Yeah, you're right of course. Personally I do prefer the look of the N4 but the difference obviously is not huge. It's quite a bit of money to save after all... We'll see, at least I'll hold off on buying anything until I've actually tested the N4 (and the 6 Plus tbh). Maybe that new Note screen is a total showstopper after all, who knows.

Actually I could also just root my Note 2 and probably get rid of the lag using a more slimmed down ROM. (So far I've tried but failed, didn't test all the suggested fixes yet though.) I'm not ecstatic about the 720p res of course but I guess ultimately I could live with it considering how much cash I'd save then...

What kind of gets me is that my Note 2 is only worth about €150 at this point, even though I paid like €650 for it new only 16 months ago. But that's just how it goes these days.

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
I'm on a nexus 5 and it's great. I have cyanogen mod 11 and don't update the software so that the phone remains fast. The only thing missing is 500gb storage so I can have all my music on it. Apart from that, I don't see myself upgrading until 500gb capable phones are out as the phone does everything I need it to do. A removable battery would be nice too as the phone will surely outlast the internal battery built in.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Still using my BB9900. Been a solid performer and hey the design is making a comeback!
Been slightly tempted by a couple phones but the latest iPhones haven't really done it for me, I do however like what I am seeing out of nokia (1020, 930) and the note 3/4. Will it be enough to shell out the full cost (won't do contract) time and reviews will tell

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I have an S5, I may get a note 4 if I like the VR headset (I'll try first), otherwise I'm all good :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.