Who gave in and bought FrankenMac this week?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maddler, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Maddler macrumors member

Anyone? I may have to next week, but I'm really really upset at the prospect of not ever having an upgrade option for PCI-e 1.0 that surpasses the X1900 xt....:mad:

2. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think the majority of people are waiting for the base model to be upgraded to 8-cores before buying.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Same here... I have a MacWorld Conf ad taped to my wall just to remind me. It's tough tho... every other day i find myself on the Apple website staring at the pro machine thinking "don't click it, don't click it... wait... don't click it"

5. Rowlander macrumors member

I have one eye on eBay.

I bought Final Cut Studio 2 used on eBay yesterday for "only" 850 Euro (still unregistered original software of course), 450 Euro less than from retail. So I figure, maybe I can get a cheap Mac Pro there too...

But I´ll probably wait and buy a new one.

6. iSavant macrumors regular

FrankenMac :confused:

I can understand people being hesitant to buy the current models at this point, but my 7 month old FrankenMac :confused: ROCKS :D

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm tempted but I keep pushing it back each week. It's frustrating.

8. Check 6 macrumors regular

Well my .02 cents worth. I am ready to purchase a Mac Pro now but I hold out day by day, the main reasons are the higher speed RAM now available that Apple probably include in the new pro. More importantly is the graphics card. The current ones are at least 18 months old and that is generations in the computer world. Since I plan on this lasting me for many years (I'm retired and digital photo work is a hobby) I want to start with newer graphics.

Now that said I really expect Apple to introduce a new Pro before the end of the year. From what I understand Apple world is more for consumers where as the majority of sales for the Mac Pro are businesses and individual professionals. Both these groups like to buy new equipment (large capital outlays) near the end of the year so they can take a tax write-off in both the current year and subsequent years. Unfortunately Apple does not always follow conventional logic but I still think that we will see it before the end of the year and Apple World will introduce a smaller version of the macbook and perhaps even a new imac....... only time will tell. I will uy before the end of the year. May buy a large screen monitor now and attach it to my macbook pro. As I said my .02 cents worth.

9. fernmeister macrumors regular

10. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Apple gave me a free one. :D I couldn't be happier with it.

11. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I believe the term was coined by MultiMedia when he found out that the 8-core model would just involve upgrading the 2 CPUs to quad core processors without upgrading the surrounding architecture. The significant bottlenecks in that architecture prevent the 8 cores from showing what they really can do.

12. iSavant macrumors regular

Thanks Doc

Yup... I didn't buy it then and don't now. But whaddoo I know? I "only" gots four cores anyhoo :D:D:D:D

13. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

well I cracked, I bought a MBP, may or may not sitll get the new MP, time will tell. :)

14. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    And Multimedia was rambling bullcrap. There was no new surrounding architecture until the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset and that wasn't released 'til recently. S-S isn't going to magically cure the benefits of 8 cores, other than offering a better memory controller. Then what's next, 8 cores won't benefit unless we had the CSI? Give me a break. The current 8 core machine is a fine 8 core machine, there are plenty of things that will use all 8 cores to their fullest. The new Stoakley-Seaburg chipsets + Penryn are only making it faster per clock cycle. So really, if your business dictates lots of cores, it'd have made sense to plunk down for a 8 core machine when they came out instead of waiting on some unknown release date for ~30% more performance for a lot less. Because really, you'd be already making money on the old Mac Pros. Penryn is more the reason why the upcoming Mac Pros will have better performance and Stoakley-Seaburg simply gives more bandwidth for the processor to live on along with improvements for HPC. Then again, a 8 core machine working on itself is not HPC, that's just a workstation. HPCs are many, many computers working together like render farms. Somehow I doubt Multimedia would buy a farm of new Mac Pros so he's overblowing his needs.

Hope I've made sense. I too am waiting for Harpertown, only because I can wait.

15. ouphe macrumors regular

I gave up waiting...I'm going to buy a 20" refurb iMac tonight, put 4 gigs of RAM in it, and wait until the next gen of Mac Pros come around (apparently in Jan.). I figure the iMac will retain it's value better, since it was just recently updated, and any Mac Pro I buy at this point will drastically drop in value as soon as the new generation comes out (especially if the change is as big as some people seem to think!).

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I was posting in another thread that Apple hasn't lowered the price in their Mac Pros, and still caters to the professional market because there are many businesses that are still buying the current Mac Pros, many of them in bulk.

And wouldn't you know it... my alma mater's communication studies department came into about a million dollars, and bought themselves about 70 8 core Mac Pros with 4GB of RAM, 1TB HDDs, and the FX 4500 GFX card about a month or so ago. The bright side is that Apple did cut a good deal of the cost down.

Sorry... the title said this week...

17. shayesky macrumors member

i couldn't wait any longer and bought mine in September. Open box
    from Amazon for $2035 shipped and no tax. i am glad I didnt wait.
    this is getting ridiculous, and in the meantime, I am churning HD video
    files and delivering product to clients.

18. waremaster macrumors 6502

LOL I don’t know about you but my “Frankenmac” which was a year old on August 23rd is performing great. I have had a year of pleasure out of this machine while the waiters are still sitting back. Enjoy your wait while I go play a nice game of Bioshock or COD4 on my “Frankenmac”

19. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

So you bought the 3.0Ghz Octo? To play COD4 and Bioshock... :rolleyes:

20. weblogik macrumors regular

i kinda cracked... bought a mbp on black friday and can now calmly wait on mp release :)