Who gets better battery life?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by A.Goldberg, Mar 22, 2015.

1. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

A TiBook running OS X 10.4 (w/o classic mode on)

or

A TiBook running OS 9.2

Assume that it is the same TiBook.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is obviously going to depend on CPU load, application choice, etc.

3. A.Goldberg, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

A.Goldberg thread starter macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well yes, but generally speaking, I guess my question could be rephrased, "Is OS 9 innately more or less efficient than OS X?"

This is assuming all things equal as possible, aside from the OS. For example... watching a DVD. Or watching the same quicktime video. Or doing the same tasks in Office 2001 in OS9 vs. Office v.X in OS X (as they're quite similar).

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

My TiBook's fan comes on much more frequently in OS X than in OS 9. I would presume that anything causing it to heat up enough to spin up the fan is likely also causing it to use up the battery faster.

Although my battery has a problem where it will spontaneously drop from ~30% to 0%, but not predictably enough that I can tell for sure when it's going to die. (Sometimes it drops at 33%, sometimes it gets as low as 25% before it dies.)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds like you have dead cells in your battery.

6. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Considering "Classic" when inactive/idle will "sleep" itself, battery life will remain similar to OS 9/X but some OS 9 applications are prone to more battery drain than OS X native--that is my observation on my 2003/2004 PB G4s. If you use more OS 8-9 era software, better to keep a spare Mac just for that task alone.

Remember Classic doesn't allow direct access to certain hardware/chipsets so your mileage varies with older software, in my experience some older IDE/PATA to USB 1.1 bridgeboards can't have the HDD formatted to HFS+ with journaling but hybrid USB 1.1+FW400(Oxford chipsets) don't have this issue with Classic.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Probably. I've been tempted to buy an aftermarket battery, but all the high-capacity ones I see are either insanely overpriced, or have some terrible reviews. (Like "this battery stopped working after one month" terrible.)

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would go for a standard capacity Chinese battery. There are tons for the Aluminum PowerBooks, but I can imagine that TiBook batteries are much harder to find.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Not a good idea with Li-Ion batteries. It's a good way to start a fire or kill yourself unless you really know what you're doing.

11. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Well obviously you'd need to really know what you're doing.