Who goes around laminating rocks?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by srobert, Nov 28, 2007.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

DISCLAIMER: This thread is in no way meant to sound overly negative and critical. Just sharing some thoughts.

Anybody else noticed this?

It looks like this generation's nicest looking games had their whole environments coated in a thick layer of high gloss varnish?

The effect is used profusely in a lot of games but it usually pops out more in some area. Examples: Halo 3 (Plastic caves?), Bioshock (Varnished Lighthouse?), Mass Effect (Glossy moon dust?)

Do they do it because it looks good or simply because they can? Razzle-dazzle?

It looks like there are no matte surfaces to be found anywhere in games these days! Although it looks pretty, I think it makes some environments look less realistic.

It sort of became a running gag between me and my friend. i.e.: Hey! Watch out for that plastic rock! :D

Maybe the "plastic effect" is simply this generation's toy effect. (Thinking of last gen's overused lens flare here)

What do you guys think?

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Go back and fire up Perfect Dark Zero, good lord its shiny!

But yes, I know what you mean! It's kinda annoying. glossy everything + bald, muscled space marines = next gen!

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Bloomage!

Developers love it... But these games aren't supposed to be realistic anyways, so it doesn't really bother me.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't like that effect.

The only time I've seen this "shine" pay off was in the cave area in HL2:Ep2.

It's like they've been given all this potential by graphic cards, yet devs just overly throw as many texture effects around as possible. Ignoring the existence of matte. (Poor Matt)

Then again with games like CoD4 and Halo 3 running below HD resolutions I also think devs are pushing a little too much for these shiny rocks and HDR.

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I laminate my rocks... you shoudl see my garden! But yes, the chromy effects are getting quite out of hand.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

agreed, this pulls me out of a game more often than not :(

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah...it kind of annoys me too....when something is shiny that shouldn't be.

This may sound kind of odd but I've tried laminating rocks before. I put a laminate around a small rock and tried melting that to it with a hair drier.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've always wanted a Rock Polishing kit when I was a kid... :D

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert