Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
hi! i got my imac 27 core 2 duo as well as my friend and we both got no yellow tinge. mine is from week 48 and his from week 47. however another guy in our college got imac quad core i5 from week 47 with yellow tinge. what a horrible issue i must say. well i just want to know if there is someone out there in this forum with no yellow tinge in their 27 or 21.5 imacs.

please don't post saying that you have yellow tinge, we already have another post regarding that.

than kyou

neonkru

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
1. What's the point of this?
2. If your screen is yellow then it's not perfect?

1. just checking on many people on this forum actually got an imac with no yellow tinge.

2. if it has yellow tinge, it can't be called "perfect" cause you will see a color you don't see in other screens and making it impossible for working with image editing.

i know that these forums make the issue seem like its widespread but in the apple store i went all 4 imacs had it, but i don't have it with week 48 however there are reports of people that the yellow tinge tends to become worse. so im just curious to hear from people that doesn't have it.

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
I notice no yellow tinge, or any sort of tinge for that matter. I have not found any dead pixels, and have not encountered the flickering issue. This is with an i5 27" iMac

evirob

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
Sunny Singapore
So if ur iMac has that yellow tint, will Apple change it? I've bought Applecare. How would u present the problem to the geniuses?

camgrant84

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney
I7 iMac

2.5 weeks of use. So far: no yellow tinge, no dead pixels, no screen flickering, no noisy harddrive etc...

tapplox

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
Those of you not sure whether or not your screens have this, unfortunate but extremely common, yellow tinge issue, try the test thread I have provided (with detailed instructions).

Test for yellow tinge.

Do make sure you go through the test at least once before you confirm that you don't have this issue, as almost all of the users who have tested this at apple stores have confirmed that most of the display units have this display problem.

Gaijin de Moscu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Geneva
Gosh guys, you make it so difficult to answer this simple question. Click here, test this, don't speak unless you did this and that...

My eyes don't perceive any yellow tinge, isn't it good enough for happiness in life?

r47z

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
i've been reading the forum for sometime. and just got my imac i5 in the weekend. i haven't been noticing any any tint (or maybe it's just my eyes). however, could the yellow thing due to the speakers of imac itself? since it does have a build-in speakers at the bottom of the screen. hmmm does post a question.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
Slight yellow tinge on my week 45 i5. It's going back for the flicker (very minor, happened 3 times in 7 days, but its there) and I can cite the yellowing as well. Just with this default-sized Safari window open you can clearly see warmer whites near the bottom compared to the cooler address bar, etc.

I'm getting a refund until Apple sorts all these problems out.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
If the yellow tinge at the bottom is very very subtle, then mine has it. But you have to look for it with the test card. If it gets worse then I'll take it to the genius bar to get the panel replaced, but for now, under normal use, I can't see it. And it's so subtle that it's not gonna make any difference when I'm working in Aperture. It only affects the ver bottom inch or so which is where the Dock is anyway.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
If the yellow tinge at the bottom is very very subtle, then mine has it. But you have to look for it with the test card. If it gets worse then I'll take it to the genius bar to get the panel replaced, but for now, under normal use, I can't see it. And it's so subtle that it's not gonna make any difference when I'm working in Aperture. It only affects the ver bottom inch or so which is where the Dock is anyway.

I see this in the bottom corners, only on startup though when the white screen appeards with apple logo.

hakr

macrumors regular

You spent more than US $2000 on a new computer, it has a defect, and you're not going to return it for an exchange?

No wonder western civilization is going down the drain...:rolleyes: :D

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
You spent more than US $2000 on a new computer, it has a defect, and you're not going to return it for an exchange?

No wonder western civilization is going down the drain...:rolleyes: :D

Not everyone can afford/stomach the downtime for waiting for a new machine.

hakr

macrumors regular
Not everyone can afford/stomach the downtime for waiting for a new machine.

Indeed, and cynic that I am, I wonder if apple is counting on this.

i was not happy to learn the I7 machines aren't on display and being sold at the stores. I planned to buy one there, and have it unpacked and turned on so I could examine it and see if it was exhibiting any of the problems being discussed here. I think for $2000 +, a customer is entitled to some assurances that what he/she is purchasing has what used to be known as merchantability, i.e., the condition or state of being fit or prepared for market. With all the problems being reported with these new machines, I'd say they're not.

jonwd7

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
Apple most likely purchased the screens all in one "batch" so the possibility of "bad batches" seems unlikely to me. I feel LG made these solely for Apple, as info regarding these screens doesn't even exist, even with a model # search. I also doubt Apple cared enough about the issue to scrap the first order and demand a second revision out of LG. ($$$)

Thus, I feel that anyone claiming a perfect screen needs to find someone in person who can tell the difference and have them look, too. Otherwise I will consider it a false negative until otherwise proven (pics, video?). Now, in the OP's case, "another guy in our college" means that you have SEEN the yellowing yourself or is it just by word of mouth? If it's the former then I'll ask you to look REALLY hard at yours again, or have him look for you. If it's the latter, then I can't trust that yours is actually fine at all.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I find it more likely that they all exhibit this issue (to some extent), than 90% DO, and 10% magically DO NOT... I feel that maybe the "DO NOT" are just false negatives.

Despite my cynicism, I'm keeping this for now, and will ask for a screen replacement when I finally see a 27" with my own eyes that does NOT exhibit the yellowing. I haven't yet, and I don't know if I will until Apple orders a new batch. I lucked out in every other regard, no DOA, no messed up power button, no cracks, no dust, no dead pixels, no flickering, no excessive HDD noise... and all of these issues are far less acceptable to me than a slight yellow hue, so I'm not going to be stupid and gamble for a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.