Who had a GOOD SL install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deputy_doofy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I think I found the problem with my install (mentioned in a different thread) and I need someone with a working version of SL.

When I look at my wife's MacBook (still running 10.5.8), her Macintosh HD has a Users folder in it (no surprise there).

When I look at my MBP in Target Disk Mode, I see the Users folder as well, but there's also a home folder that doesn't exist on my wife's computer.

If I look at the new home folder under Get Info, its path is:
    /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1

If I look the the users folder, I see...
    /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1

They both share the same path, according to the Finder, but home is empty, whereas users has what it has had all along.

So.... and I ask this in bold, can anyone with a working copy of SL check in their Macintosh HD folder (from the Finder) and tell me if they have a home folder, a users folder, and what's in them? You'd be doing me a great service!!

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I just have "applications"(with...apps), "library" (w/ the prefs for all the apps), "system"(w/ another library folder w/ more prefs), and "users" (w/ the personal file directories for each of the users).

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

me. did the normal upgrade on my unibody macbook and my modded mac pro with no issues. that was the install. i have noticed a few issues regarding the OS, but the installs went off without a hitch.

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Install went fine here. No issues with usage either. Seems to be going along fine.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

same here.

i made a normal install on my MacBook (from 10.5.8) and my Mac mini (10.4.11). everything is just fine

6. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Cool. I'm going to try and kill my "home" folder that the Finder seems to have created. Maybe it'll fix my problem. I'm ready to reinstall on a reformatted drive, but I need to try this first. Thanks for the info.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Clean install of SL here on Mac Pro.

In the Finder on my primary drive I see the following:

Applications
    Library
    System
    Users

From the terminal I see:

Applications
    Desktop DB
    Desktop DF
    Library
    Network
    System
    Users
    Volumes
    bin
    cores
    dev
    etc -> private/etc
    home
    mach_kernel
    net
    private
    sbin
    tmp -> private/tmp
    usr
    var -> private/var

That home folder in terminal is empty.

-Kevin

8. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

Ditto.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10 good installs. Not one had a problem.

Some installed off the DVD, others off a HDD partition and a couple off my USB stick. All worked fine.

10. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Well, there's always an install that goes awry and it landed on me this time. I've had no problems going from 10.1 -> 10.2 and 10.4 -> 10.5. This is my first issue and I figured I'd investigate prior to starting over (which was Apple's suggestion since they don't know what happened either).

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Install went perfect.

The "home" folder in your root directory is also in Leopard. Nothing new there.

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Installed on MBP and on iMac. Both went smoothly as upgrades from 10.5.8.

13. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I purchased the family pack and did clean installs on all three of my macs. All the installs went very smoothly and I haven't noted any issues so far.

14. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

My install went great, after I f***ed up a couple of times. But it was totally my fault for rushing.

15. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

16. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I did an upgrade (not erase and install) on all 4 of my macs on Friday after the disk arrived .... not a single problem with the installs; no problems with MSO 2008 on any of the machines that had it installed. No problems at all except a bit of a problem with Javascript on 1 machine, but since I don't use that one, the roommate does, I'm not concerned (I don't go to any sites that are Javascript driven).

17. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

Heres mine if it helps at all.

Attached Files:

18. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I purchased the family pack and did clean installs on all 4 Macs and they all went smooth and run great. No issues at all.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

sounds like someoe bought quite a few licenses!

yeah i did mine all off a 8GB Flash Drive as well.

20. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard clean install here. Went perfect. I haven't run into a single issue. Considering that I have a first generation MacBook Core Duo that can't even take advantage of the 64-bit apps, I am very impressed with the speed increases.

21. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i just did a normal upgrade install just to see if i had any problems. i had zero and it's running fine. if i do end up having some issues i'll do a. erase/install and go from there.

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

The install on my Mini went fine, but now it feels slower. I thought it was just Spotlight indexing, but after a few hours, it still feels sluggish. I'm debating doing an erase and install.

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

My install went very smoothly and quickly. :) No issues running any of my programs so far, but I haven't tried them all.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep. Loads. We're a reseller so we've got stacks of licenses. Just made it easier to do all the machines at once using whatever hard drives we had lying around and a few USB drives.

All of them, seamless.