Who has a 'perfect' iMac 2011 display? (photos please)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by j.w., Aug 14, 2011.

1. j.w. macrumors newbie

hey guys. i never post on these forums, but i'm curious as to whether there are any 'perfect' imac displays out there. if you guys could post a photo of ur 'perfect' imac display if u think u got one, that'd be great :)

i want to know because i bought an imac last week from apple retail, and had to exchange it twice because of yellowing (on the right hand side, not bottom 1/3). i've since returned the third imac (all three had yellowing). i checked the serial numbers on all three online @ http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html and they were all made in the same production week of june by quanta (not sure if it was a bad batch or not).

i checked out the three apple retail stores in my region w/ my friend, and many of the imacs there had some form of yellowing. now, my 4 year old 24" samsung lcd doesn't hv perfectly uniform colours too, but somehow even the slightest bit of yellowing shows up on the imacs (is it the glossy displays?).

hopefully some pics of acceptable imac displays out there would help ppl decide if they wanna get the newest imacs. i might even order a new imac online if it turns out i just had bad luck :cool:

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Mine Is

And Im fussy, wish I could post in higher res. but this gives you an idea.

Attached Files:

3. j.w. thread starter macrumors newbie

is that a screenshot or a camera photo?

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Thats

A screen shot, but camera shots I've taken (see the post your new and old setup in the picture gallery) are identical :)

5. victoryroad macrumors newbie

You don't seem to understand.

For the point of this thread, yellowing can only be shown with a camera shot, not through a screenshot. Also preferably with a plain background or with the yellow-tint test.

I'm also about to buy an iMac and I'm very worried about having to return it multiple times.

6. jaikob, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Are you sure part of what you are seeing isn't IPS glow? The panels that Apple uses in its iMac line have IPS glow in the corners, and if you move the viewing angle. Not a defect, just a side effect of the display.

I have a perfect display with no yellow, I'd post a picture but it's too much hassle for what it is worth.

7. j.w. thread starter macrumors newbie

tks man, appreciate the effort :)

----------

yeah, def. is a hassle. i just wanted to see if we could make a thread with nice looking screens just as big as the other one with bad looking screens. looks like it's gonna be hard to beat that yellow tint thread =P

8. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I had one of each:
    Got a mid-'11 iMac (i5) from BHphoto that was on the Seagate HDD recall list. That one clearly had yellow tinge at the bottom.
    Exchanged it at the local Apple store for one that has a perfect screen. Used a hardware calibrator so I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is a solid screen. In fact, the color space it shows is somewhere between the sRGB and aRGB color spaces which was a surprise to me. Also its delta max was far less than 1 which indicates perfect color fidelity.

9. dead flag blues macrumors member

I got my 2nd on Saturday, the display on this was better than the first one that I had ordered, tho still has the yellow. I'll take it back this weekend.

Suggest trying a bunch until you find one that makes you happy.

10. j.w. thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i'd totally do that in store if i could, but they were pretty unwilling to give me a third imac when i told them about the display issues. most of them were pretty unconvinced, although one guy saw it immediately. i'll probably do it the hard way and order it online. seems like applecare is way more accommodating over this issue (they were surprised when i told them apple retail didnt want to give me a 2nd exchange for my imac).