Who has an answer; battery irritation.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ajohnson253, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Okay so I though doing a reset would solve the problem. My battery percentage is on and this is the 2nd day in a row this has happened. Fell asleep last night with my phone plugged in the wall. For about 8 hours or so. I expect to wake up with my phone with a full 100% charge like it should be right?
    No, I wake up look at it and it's at 96%. Why does it keep on droppin like this while plugged in the wall? Since it's been on it's went up 2%. It's now at 98%.

Can someone please tell me what's going on. Is there an answer for this?

It's also a little annoying and strange because it'll be at 100% before I fall asleep.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You might just need to calibrate your battery (let it die and the recharge to 100%).

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Rule of thumb: Calibrate 3 times and THEN go into the Apple store seeking a replacement. Within 4 days, I think they may replace the whole laptop (but it would be just as nice for them to swap the battery)

4. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Restart your phone, and then, like aggie said, let it die completely and charge it all the way.

If that doesn't work, then you may try doing a software restore.

As a side note, please do not post after your post within a short time, just edit it.

5. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

By a software restore do you mean backing up my phone and restoring it through iTunes?

6. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Yes. Usually a fresh install without a backup is the best way. But then you need to reinstall your apps and reconfigure the phone.

7. BigWill macrumors member

Two things...

1st, do you keep wifi enabled? That eats lots of battery life.

2nd, I was told by the AT&T tech at the store that it is not good to charge longer than about 1 to 1.5 hours at a time. Bad for the battery.

8. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Okay so don't backup. Just like it was out of the box? Is there a way to sync only my contacts then through address book on my mac?

Yes I do keep wifi enabled but that shouldn't bring the percentage to 96% when it's plugged into the wall and already at 100%.

9. Mischka07 macrumors regular

Can someone confirm this? I keep reading differing statements about wifi. One side says wifi will kill the battery faster than any other connection, the other side says wifi uses less battery life than E or 3G.

10. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Wifi does waste more battery.
    Like I said though that is no reason for it to drop percentage while already at 100% while it's plugged into the wall & on top of it not even being used.

11. dread macrumors 6502a

mine does this as well, I think the iphone or charger not sure which must stop charging once it is full for a certain amount of time. Im sure this is a measure to protect the battery from overheating. Once has stopped charging you probably need to unplug it and plug it in again to start charging.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oxymoron: AT&T and tech. Ignore what he said.

You answered your own question. Sync your contacts with Address Book in iTunes. Make sure you do this before restoring as new.

13. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Never heard of that before. I've had iPhones since the beginning of the 3G. I've always left it plugged in while I sleep and it stayed at a full 100% charge the whole time. Don't see why it would drop. Since the battery meter reads it as being plugged in it shouldn't have to be unplugged then plugged in to recognize the charge.

I know this may sound stupid. When I calibrate my battery does it matter how long my phone is off or battery is dead for or can I start charging immeditaley?

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Some say to not charge for a few hours. I recommend charging fairly soon after it goes dead (I just charge it as soon as it goes dead), since there have been cases where they couldn't get the battery to take a charge after being dead too long. YMMV.

15. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Okay. My Phone is at 58% right now. I have been using it for about 1Hr 45minutes that's what my usage says. I've been surfing the web on wifi this whole time watching a couple YouTube videos here and there. Is that the average rundown time on an iPhone it seems?

I won't have time to let my battery hold still for hours before a charge because I'm waiting for calls and emails.
    I'll probably be in my car by the time it dies or somewhere on the move.

Is it okay to start charging with my car charger and even though it won't be fully charged cuz I'll have to get out of my car and vein my phone with me it wont be a steady charge. Does it have to be a steady charge like 0-100% with the phone being plugged in the whole time? Or can I do it when I can? As in charge it at times when I can till it reaches a full charge?

16. firewood macrumors 604

Run it down so that it dies sometime (maybe an hour) before bedtime. Then put it on the wall charger overnight. Nobody (reasonable) should be calling you at that time.

The iPhone percentage battery gauge is just a guess anyway. For determining battery life, I would go with how may hours it actually runs before shutdown, not what random non-linear guess the battery gauge reports.

17. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Appreciate that. Thanks for the help everyone. Yup I'll just let it drain tonight then. :rolleyes:

18. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Well looks like I am going to apple today. I just scheduled a 1:40 appointment. Today I woke up and I calibrated my battery twice by now and it's doing the same thing.

Hopefully when I get there they can figure out the problem and get me a new battery or something :(

19. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Well I just got back from apple. Found out I had bad software.
    So they replaced my iPhone with a refurbished. Glad it's in perfect condition, to me it is. While I was there I though eh why not scoop an anti glare film again. I tried to go naked but 3 days naked is enough. Back on goes the film & my agent 18 case. I'm good.

Appreciate everyone help with the battery. Guess it was software issues.

Later b

20. klb028 macrumors 6502

I leave mine on the charger for 6+ hours overnight while I sleep.