Who has an iPhone 3G with a decent battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 36183, Jul 13, 2008.

1. 36183 Guest

So far my iphone 3G 16gb after a full chrage gave me just over 3 hours usage which is consider to be awful. Lots of other users have also been having simmilar problems. Form what I have been reading it looks like everyone is having this issue In which case I'm going to ask for a refund. I just want assurance that there are some people out there that are getting a decent 5-7 hours usage out of their phones.

Also if I take my iphone into a apple store in the Uk could they fix the battery or replace it for me ?

2. colcass macrumors member

the only thing i have been able to use mine for is a Wifi ipod with GPS
    no signal

3. 36183 thread starter Guest

how many hours usage did you get before the battery died?

4. crea78 macrumors newbie

Mine gets about 3 hours or so with internet browsing, using apps, watching music videos, etc. I can make it last longer while listening to music with the screen turned off, but other than that I'm stuck with charging my 3G 2x a day.

5. colcass macrumors member

if i have the GPS on (location services on), and the brightness turned up, and the wireless on then you will only get a handful of hours

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

im getting to 5 easily actually. I use 3G outside daily and when im at home/office wifi is always connected and yeahh i do turn off location tracking when not in use through the settings so yeah. Battery's been great for me :D

7. 36183 thread starter Guest

That sounds about right, cause i got about 5-7 hours usage on the old iPhone.

8. RasaFrasa macrumors member

After hearing all the battery stories I attempted to drain mine before heading home today (which I had to recharge at least somewhat for). Yesterday it ran four about 7 hours before I got the 20% warning. Usage included hours and hours of Safari over WiFi, downloading and playing with apps from the store, GPS and about an hour of call time.

Towards the end I switched 3G back on and upped the brightness to try to run it down faster but in the end I gave up and went to bed. After waking up and playing some Super Monkey Ball and some more surfin' it finally hit 10%. So I got about 7.5 hours of use on the iPhone's first cycle.

All-in-all I'm pretty content with my new iPhone and the battery seems comparable to my 2G, so I'm happy.

9. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Apples to Apples (pun intended) mine is astronomical.

What I mean by Apples to Apples is 3G off, Location off, brightness same as my 2G.

Unreal battery life.

10. 36183 thread starter Guest

define unreal in terms of hours please

11. crea78 macrumors newbie

I'm just gonna have to reduce the brightness to slightly below half way, turn 3G off when I don't need to use it, and definitely have Location Services off. Right now I'm restoring my iPhone to the latest 2.0 software since mine came with the old one. Hopefully these changes will make a good improvement.

12. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Yesterday I was on ~7 hours worth of calls, half of which were on bluetooth.

I had also looked a few things up on the web over WiFi during those calls.

By the end I had ~33% left by the battery indicator.... but in reality probably very close to the 20% warning.

13. 36183 thread starter Guest

I wouldn't call that unreal, apple advertises 10 hours of 2G talk time, and by the looks of it you got that. So by unreal you mean "as advertised"

14. sallythemac Guest

I am getting about 27+ hours on mine. Using it for texting, phoneing (few shortish calls), e-mails, wi-fi surfing, bit of gps, few apps and games. 3g off, push off, gps on.

15. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Apples to Apples, meaning looking at it as if it were a 2G iPhone, unreal.

But yes... as advertised for the 3G.

All in all I am very happy with the battery life. Now if I wanted to... I bet i could kill it in 2 hours :)

16. shebax macrumors newbie

I leave mine plugged in until I leave the house. Yesterday I had a good 7 hours before it even hit 50% with constant SMS, Tap Tap Revolution, internet, email and phone use. Brightness is set at medium, volume on.

17. bstpierre macrumors 6502

My battery isn't lasting as long as I am accustomed, either. Of course, it is the same phone and battery but it has the 2.0 software with location services on and lots of new software toys (PhoneSaber, for one).

18. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I think he was being positive in his assesment... unreal can be a young persons way of saying great.... like bad means good!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

19. 36183 thread starter Guest

I highly doubt your getting 27 hours of usage. go to Settings -> General -> Usage.

20. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I was worried on my iPhone. Not sure if I ever fully charged it. The first 2 days have been worrisome.

Always at half battery (16gig on 3G network) before the day was half over. First day I got 20% warning. Keep in mind, maybe only 3 minutes of calls, and just trying out features and games, showing it off for maybe a total of an hour and half, no really long sessions beyond those.

But I finally let it charge for a very long time last night to make sure it was full. And I restored it to get the newer firmware.

So last night I spent about 20+ minutes browsing the app store over wifi, about 5 minutes in cube runner 3d game, a little bit of tinkering. Then it was idle until morning. I've tried to call someone 5 times. I cleaned my house this morning while playing music over headphones for about 35 minutes. While watching an hour show, during the ads I played motionX-poker, the 3D dice game, with vibrate and music off, only SFX. That session was atleast 40 minutes.

After all that, about 3pm in the day right now, only appears to be a quarter or less drained (hard to tell from that small icon).

So it seems to be working better today, if it was like earlier, I'd expect it to be half gone or more. I hope that it was because I did a much longer charge for the first time to really break in the battery, maybe even the new firmware. But I'm going to keep track of it. I don't want to have to always charge it two to three times in a day to be sure I get through the day like before.

Extra note. I've always had the auto brightness on and still is now, but this day I had the brightness slider a little under half, where I might of had it a little over half before.

21. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

hehe... LOL

I am feeling very positive about my battery life yes... but I am 34 and haven't been called young in some time... so thank you sir!

22. sallythemac Guest

I am getting 27+ hours between charges, yes. Not usage.

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

My batter is pretty normal. Normal use of the phone (some WiFi, some 3G, some GPS, few calls, and a lot of messing around) - the battery died last night. It got a full charge on the 11th.