Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
This is exactly what I want. But can you display only one calendar also. So when I'm at work I can choose only to display only work calendar? I don't really want others too see when my Colonoscopy appt is in Jan....:D...that sort of thing.....

Do I have to have a google email account setup?

Is the google calendar web based or can I work offline easily and when it gets within a wifi or 3G range will it sync up automatically?

Thanks so much

I use iCal with MobileMe. You can display as many calendars as you like. On the left side is a list of calendars. Check the ones you want displayed.

You can export calendars, publish them and share them.

I don't know about Google calendars, but I'm guessing you can do a lot of the same things with that.

There is a difference between paper and electronic calendars. We use a large dry erase calendar in the kitchen to post family stuff. It is always available at a glance while everyone is there cooking or snacking.

A paper calendar offers a little more freedom to doodle, draw and assign miscellaneous notes. Electronic calendars offer the ability to paste in text notes from other places. I travel a lot and always paste in the hotel address and phone number and flight information into the day of travel. This makes it very easy to pull up a map when you are on the run. Electronic calendars also offer alarms that can trigger at any time you like before the event to remind you that you need to do something a couple of days before the event (pack, get a present, study, etc.).

I've been paper free for years, but I can appreciate that some people would feel very comfortable with a paper calendar.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
My wife and I are the same way - this works wonderfully for keeping up to date on not only our events, but overall family events as well.

I haven't used a paper calendar for ages - except the ones the schools hand out that detail what will be for lunch. Can't justify retyping all of that... ;)

Get a pdf copy from the school or council website and keep it in goodreader. Can't have my wee girl missing out on steak pie day at school !

:)

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
This is exactly what I want. But can you display only one calendar also. So when I'm at work I can choose only to display only work calendar? I don't really want others too see when my Colonoscopy appt is in Jan....:D...that sort of thing.....

Do I have to have a google email account setup?

Is the google calendar web based or can I work offline easily and when it gets within a wifi or 3G range will it sync up automatically?

Thanks so much

To answer your Qs :

1. Dead easy to display one calendar or however many you want at once, you simply click on the menu at the side of the screen which one(s) you want to display. I also have other calendars set up for football fixtures etc which my wife isnt interested in, so she doesn't tick them so they don't show up in her view. I like to see them in my view though as they're important to me :)

2. We do have google email accounts but we don't use them for email. So I think yes you need a google account to set it up, but no you don't need to use it for email.

3. It is web-based but you can update it offline in exactly the same manner, and it will automatically sync as soon as you are back in signal range.

It works extremely well, its probably the one features on our iphones that has most impressed me and is something we use every single day in our lives.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
I haven't used a paper calendar since I got my first mac in 2005. I use iCal, and iSync it to my mobile phone.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I use iCal, MobileMe and the iPhone calendar for my personal stuff and Outlook at work but I don't think I'll be in any hurry to nail an iPad to the wall to replace our works holiday year planner. :)

miklovo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks very much for all of your input. It's been hugely helpful in my decision. I've been fighting the move from paper for so long, it's the last thing that NOT digital in my house so I think it's just an attachment to the freedom of scribbling in my planner.....

I'm going to go with google planner since it seems slightly more versatile than Mac apps, if I'm ever without any of my devices I can still access it and of course the best part is that it's free!!

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I use MobileMe to keep my iPhone and MBP calendars synced. This isn't on a professional level, but have many calendars within it to organise my personal life. I think it's great and would highly suggest even trying out the 60 day free trial to see if it would work for you.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I am planning to go paperless.

In our office I am probably the most digital - my Iphone has been my 2nd brain for about 4 years now. We have exchange so my PIM stuff gets pushed to my iPhone and I resist printing. It's more convenient for me to email to my iPhone.

Tonight I picked up a 64 GB iPad and that will replace my paper notebooks (I am in sales so I keep meticulous notes).

Other than meeting notes, I am already paperless. I bought Penultimate, so hopefully that goes away too. Although the thought of having TBs of scribbly bitmaps is a concern (I am open to alternatives).

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
When iPad2 get released and I can justify buying a 2nd iPad (1 for home use and 1 strictly for business use) I want to officially eliminate using a "paper" calendar at work and home. Until now I have never used iCal or calendar on iPad or iPhone. I've just kept an outlook calendar at work and a paper business planner (dayrunner style).

I want to get out of the stone age and begin to go digital w/everything. My needs are as follows and looking for suggestions and/or apps to meet my needs.

1. Outlook is not sync-able from work since they do not allow personal use devices to sync w company calendars. So I will enter appts/contacts manually into either my MacBook pro/iPad/iPhone but wish everything to sync up wirelessly via wifi (3G not necessary). When In range of wifi obviously.

2. Same goes as above with a "to do" list. Either an app or a calendar w this functionality (must have alerts). I'm talking a line-item style list not just as appt times in a calendar. So I can check things off and add throughout the day and week.

Any other helpful tools would be cool too but otherwise the above functionality is all I really need.

I think the biggest thing is not having to hard-wire sync my devices is the biggest thing I need. And see calendar and to do alerts on both iPad and iPhone is a must, even when phone is in my pocket and iPad in office.

Any help appreciated!!!! I've research many options but without buying and trying a bunch of things that may/may not work, looking for easy way out. Sorry for the novel.

The first gen is better for biz use IMO. Cameras can be a no-no in many businesses if you travel and visit clients/prospects.

We buckle down Exchange too. But Companionlink is blessed. Those of us that needed it bought it and expensed it ($50). It works great - pushes data to Google, Google pushes to iOS.

I no longer use the To Do lists in Outlook like I used to - we have a CRM now that the company enforces.

omyard

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I sync my iCal on my iPad and iPhone with Google. So everything is backed up online and changes made to anything are synced instantly.

For my to do checklist I just started using 2do a few weeks ago. So far so good. It backs up to Toodledo, which I don't use other then being able to keep my iPad and iPhone 2do apps in sync. Supports badges for each type of calendar and badges for the day a to do is due.

I also started using Evernote to sync notes between my computer, iPhone and iPad. You can take notes offline and sync them when you have a connection.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I sync my iCal on my iPad and iPhone with Google. So everything is backed up online and changes made to anything are synced instantly.

For my to do checklist I just started using 2do a few weeks ago. So far so good. It backs up to Toodledo, which I don't use other then being able to keep my iPad and iPhone 2do apps in sync. Supports badges for each type of calendar and badges for the day a to do is due.

I also started using Evernote to sync notes between my computer, iPhone and iPad. You can take notes offline and sync them when you have a connection.

+1 on 2Do. I like it quite a bit, and it's quite powerful when it comes to scheduling recurring tasks. I wish Exchange supported pushing tasks (and Apple, in turn, supported it) so that having to manually sync between my iPhone and iPad wasn't required. However, the syncing with Toodledo is effective.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I have, and I love it.

I am one of those "fools" that pays for MobileMe. I have an iMac, iPad and iPhone that all sync wirelessly without me worrying about it. I used to use Google Calendar before MobileMe, and would switch back if Google's services synced a bit better with Macs and iOS devices, and pushed reliably.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I am starting to use Google calendar. I like it so far, but i am having the same issue as an earlier poster. I can make an entry directly into google and that syncs well with my iPad and imac, but if i enter directly into iPad that entry is not syncing back up to google.

kwfergy

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Same here, left paper long ago, lots of good solutions like Mobile Me, Google Calendar, etc. You might want to try searching "calendar" & "to do" in app store. Save the trees!

Choosing paper gives landowners a reason to grow trees. These trees become forests that help improve air quality, provide clean water and protect soil and wildlife. The demand for paper and other forest products contributes to landowners planting about 4 million trees in the U.S. every day. When you go paper, you grow trees. Learn more at gopapergrowtrees.com

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Choosing paper gives landowners a reason to grow trees. These trees become forests that help improve air quality, provide clean water and protect soil and wildlife. The demand for paper and other forest products contributes to landowners planting about 4 million trees in the U.S. every day. When you go paper, you grow trees. Learn more at gopapergrowtrees.com

I tell that to people where i work all of the time. the trees used for paper are farmed. It is like saying i am not going to eat corn so i can save corn stalks. If the paper is not needed then the trees will not be planted in the first place.

Now if you want to talk about the waste products created to make trees into paper that is a different story.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I'm using Pocket Informant on both my iPad and my iPhone. PI is a much better calendar app than iCal. With PI I can manage both my calendar and my to-do and everything syncs with MobileMe and Toodledo. In a matter of weeks I'll finaly be able to sync with my office e-mail and calendar and when that happens I will be in a state of Nirvana :p

BTW, haven't used a paper calendar for years, before iPhone I used a Palm. I still use paper for meeting notes (Moleskine of course) I've ordered the new Moleskine iPad pholio...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.