Who has gone without flash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PDFierro, Oct 24, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There's been plenty of discussion about flash on here, but I'm curious to see if anyone has gone without it completely? No plug-ins, just treating it as non-existent like on iOS devices.

It's probably a bad idea. Of course the advantage of a Mac is that you aren't locked down in what you can do, but I can't think of what I use Flash for other than YouTube or Hulu.

Any thoughts? I'm sure the battery life is better, especially on the 11-inch.

2. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Haven't used flash for over a year

Not much ill effect on my browsing

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I can say that several websites demand it. If you want the full effects of NFL.com or any effects in MLB.com then you will use flash. I am not a fan of the heat and usage of flash but I do use click to flash and click often... Sometimes I think about disabling click to flash...

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Because of Hulu, I have to keep flash around. But Safari + Chrome for Hulu makes sense.

5. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Use AdBlock. Best invenstion since sliced bread :) I use it, and it blocks ALL adds, popup, banners, silly games and whatever else I don't want to see (both flash and images), while things you WANT to work (youtube, any online tv channel with flash player, sites with flash navigation and such) works as they should. Best of two worlds. And yes, noticed to definite boost in battery performance after install as well.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

7. scarred macrumors 6502a

I haven't installed flash since Google Chrome hit the market. I use Safari for everything, and Chrome when I must see something as flash (rare). I hope websites are keeping an eye on how many of us are usually skipping their flash content.

8. W1MRK macrumors 6502

I would think they are, or have at least kept up with the amount of issues many are having with flash

9. Aras87 macrumors member

I tried having Safari no flash installed and Chrome (for flash only) but I didn't like it. There are just too many sites using flash so I hated switching to chrome each time I needed flash. Now that flash 11 is released I got rid of chrome as flash 11 works beautifully with safari. I don't think flash is going anywhere soon as html-5 is pretty buggy and flash 11 pretty much uses similar amount of cpu power as html-5.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Flash is often their only choice.

11. sno1man macrumors regular

Dumped it when Apple did.

With Safari's developer mode >user agent > safari iOS 4.3 option I have found that anything that I would want to watch plays that way.

In case some don't know, that has safari identify itself as an iPad to websites

12. ecib macrumors regular

ecib

I have had my MBA for 6 or 7 months now and I've not installed Flash on my machine, nor will I ever.

I use Safari for my normal browsing, and Chrome for flash content, since Flash is bundled in Chrome and you don't have to install it on your machine.

There is a handy trick for switching from Safari to Chrome easily if you run into Flash content that you want to see while browsing. I don't remember the exact menu options, but there is a Setting in Safari that lets you display the 'Developer' menu at the top, along with the other menu options. Enable it. Then, when you are browsing and you want to jump into Chrome, just click the Developer menu, and on the dropdown, select 'Open With' and choose Chrome. It will open the page you are looking at in Chrome. You can even hotkey this process so that any page you are looking at can just instantly launch in Chrome with the press of a button(s).

At any rate, that's what I do. No need for Flash on your machine at all.

13. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

2011 MBA and I never installed Flash. On the rare occasions when I need it, I just use Chrome.

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I have clicktoflash on my 2009 Air, and I rarely, if ever, click to flash :)

15. abz1981 macrumors 65816

HI all

Whats the best way to remove adobe flash from the MBA. Is it a simple matter of dragging and dropping it from Applications to trash can?

IS it best to use clicktoflash, if I wanted to see something that uses flash, or is it best to have a secondry browser like chrome, if i wanted to use flash?

any advantages or disadvantages of both?

thanks in advance :)

16. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I attempted to go Flash-free when I got my MacBook Pro a couple months ago but I ended up installing it pretty quickly. There are a few sites I frequent that rely on Flash for video.

17. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I use chrome, so I don't have to install Flash. Then I just use the Click to Flash extension.

18. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Yep no Flash on my Air, just use what's built-in for Chrome. Otherwise I always use Safari for my browsing.

19. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I use click-2-flash, there are many times when shopping online that they give you a Flash 3d display of the product. Unless the interwebz gets rid of all Flash content Flash will remain installed on my computers.

20. abz1981, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

abz1981 macrumors 65816

silly question

but it looks like click2flash does not work on lion OS x? My understanding of click2flash is that if I am on a site that is meant to show flash. It should come up with click2flash logo or something? am i missing something here?

21. mcagayat macrumors member

I just learned of adblock and click2flash by reading this topic and WOW what a difference on my MBA's battery life!

Thank you all for helping me optimize my usage of my first mac! I love this site! Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

22. summitRun macrumors regular

As many others have stated Chrome is the easiest most straight forward solution to keeping Flash off your MBA. And within Chrome if you go to about:flags and enable 'click to play" you'll have complete control over all your plug-in content :cool:

23. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

I am a new user too, just got my MBA in August after reading here for weeks. I was made aware of that flash would drain the battery quickly. However, I installed flash and in top of that click-to-flash. Then you actually have the fields to click for flash. Since i never "clicked" and my Safari scrolling seems to judder I deleted flash via drag & drop into trash, but kept click-to-flash enabled. During browsing the flash fields now shows "plug-in missing". So click-to-flash seems to need flash to be installed firstly - which I was also not aware of. Meanwhile I also uninstalled click-to-flash, but my Safari scrolling on my i7 seems still juddering - why? :confused:

24. scarred macrumors 6502a

In related news, Google Chrome was just updated again. Of immediate notice is that back and forward gestures have a nice little animation now. Far less jaring.

I will probably make a habit of just running Chrome while plugged in, and Safari while on battery.

25. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Oh ok I wasn't aware of that either. As I have also uninstalled flash and have click2flash on my MBA lol. I think i will delete click2flash as I don't have flash on my mba anyway.