Who has Goodreader for iPad 3.0.2? Don't update!!! I repeat, Do NOT update!!!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by andrewpsy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. andrewpsy, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

andrewpsy macrumors newbie

First of all, I really envy you.
    For those who don't know what's going on, a quick recap:
    the recent updates for Goodreader for iPad, version 3.1.0 and 3.1.2, are not mature enough. They have 2 big problems: 1, performance dropped seriously. 2, rendering quality decreased.

If you read PDFs larger than 80MB(may vary), version 3.1.2 is very slow compared to 3.0.2 but much faster than 3.1.0(unusable). Think twice before hitting update button.

If your PDFs are small, you might not see difference(performance wise) between 3.1.2 and 3.0.2.

PS: Goodreader 3.1.3 for ipod/iphone is coming out. Be cautious.

updates:
    thanks for all replies.
    as Night Spring mentioned, having a 3.0.2 ipa will not help unless it's your own ipa(previous version).
    Backing up old ipa is a very good practice. I'll do that from now on.

as b.c. said, Time machine is even a better way to prevent any mistakes including bad updates(for Mac system only. )
    However, I don't have my Time Machine hard drive connected all the time. Need to sync more frequently.

Strange things are my Goodreader(iPad+iPod) never crashes.
    My iPod touch Goodreader doesn't suffer any of problems mentioned here.
    And I don't use encrypted web download so I didn't have to face all these problems. Only performance drop matters to me.

Hope next version will come soon and fix all problems.

2. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Is 3.0.2 ipa file not saved to your computer? I thought updates get their own file, not replace the old file. Or if you never synced to your computer...

3. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Updates replace the old file which is moved to trash. If the OP has not emptied his trash the old one should be in there.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly. After several bad experiences with problematic updates, I make a point of dragging the older versions out of the trash and storing them in an "old apps" folder each time an app receives an update.

Having someone send you their ipa file isn't going to work, because ipa files are tied to the itunes account used to buy/download them. Cracked apps work by removing this restriction, but of course you need to jailbreak in order to install cracked apps.

5. matonski macrumors newbie

Goodreader is sucking for me too. When flipping pages, the screen gets all pixelated for awhile before showing you the page. Sometimes, you see the page right when you flip to it, but then it still gets pixelated for a couple seconds.

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

I've noticed this in Goodreader too the past couple versions. it's very annoying, I'm hoping performance is restored asap.

Time Machine to the rescue, the old v3.0.2 is easily recovered from an early Oct copy of the Mobile Applications folder...

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Sorry, but I needed this last update. It fixed a major problem that kept me from downloading my local newspaper. The performance issues don't mean anything if I can't even read the paper in the first place.

8. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

Did you wrote to the dev and what was the answer?

I noticed it's a bit slower, but more stable. At least it doesn't crash. Also downloading is faster for some reason.

9. andrewpsy thread starter macrumors newbie

I wrote to Yuri after updating to the most horrible version 3.1.0.
    No response yet. He probably received a lot of similar emails.
    But he released 3.1.2 shortly after the 3.1.0(a week or so).
    3.1.2 is not as good as 3.0.2 but much better than 3.1.0.