Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm having an error code in the apple hardware test and I was told it is normal, apparently it depends on the installed graphics card. I just want to know if this is normal or not, sadly I don't have any other card to test the Mac. The Mac behaves normally.

Apparently it just concerns the 12 core (mid 2010 model) with 2,93 GHz. No upgraded 2009 models or so.

I'd be very thankful if someone who owns this same computer could get in touch with me. I spent quite some money on this and would be pissed if something was wrong with it. Need to have this done as soon as possible sadly. :(

Cheers

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It might help if you could be a little more descriptive of what the error code is.

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
4SNS: System sensor

Te1S: T-> Temperature, e-> PCI-express slot

Most likely the sensors on your 3rd party graphic card in PCIe slot 1 report a temperature reading that the 5,1 doesn't like. It doesn't looks like a real error to me. May be just the sensor is not 100% compatible with 5,1's firmware.

As long as the PCIe fan doesn't spin up like crazy, you don't have to do anything to it.

And you can always boot into Windows to stress and monitor your graphic card's temperature, if you concern about that.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
My error code is 4SNS/1/C0000008: Te1S--124

I don't think that will help you, however.

Hi Sanchez25. Sorry to hear about the error code. Here is a thread about a mac user having the same error code as yours. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1185055/

The code points to the Ambient sensor temperature not working. But take note, their machine is an iMac. Please read the whole thread and their circumstances may not apply to you. The thread mentions that they get the error code when installing a SSD or HD when they open the iMac. If there is a Mac service center in your area, maybe they can check your Mac Pro. Hope all will be well.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hi Sanchez25. Sorry to hear about the error code. Here is a thread about a mac user having the same error code as yours. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1185055/

The code points to the Ambient sensor temperature not working. But take note, their machine is an iMac. Please read the whole thread and their circumstances may not apply to you. The thread mentions that they get the error code when installing a SSD or HD when they open the iMac. If there is a Mac service center in your area, maybe they can check your Mac Pro. Hope all will be well.

Hello,

actually that isn't the same error - many of them are similar :) 4SNS codes are always sensor error codes in fact!

4SNS: System sensor

Te1S: T-> Temperature, e-> PCI-express slot

Most likely the sensors on your 3rd party graphic card in PCIe slot 1 report a temperature reading that the 5,1 doesn't like. It doesn't looks like a real error to me. May be just the sensor is not 100% compatible with 5,1's firmware.

As long as the PCIe fan doesn't spin up like crazy, you don't have to do anything to it.

And you can always boot into Windows to stress and monitor your graphic card's temperature, if you concern about that.

Yeah I decoded the error already but it is confusing. So you think it is the graphics card? Because I assumed it was the PCIe slot itself. How can it not be 100% compatible with the 5,1's firmware when it is a "Mac Edition" card also? Do you have that error with your card? Because we have the same and you have your Mac flashed to 5,1.

The card is pretty loud when doing graphic stuff, but you told me in the past already that this card was loud in general and that this was a normal behavior.

What's weird is also that I first had a different error. Which was:
4SNS/1/C0000008: TMA1--124

Apparently something with the memory. I ran the test only with one RAM bar and then changed it's place. I could see how the error code changed from TMA1 to TMB1, to TMB2 etc. depending on where the RAM was. I guess A and B are front or rear slots, the number following goes up to 4 for the slot in question.

So I replaced the RAM. Then came the error with the PCIe thing I posted before. I have the feeling the AHT is very inaccurate.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello,

actually that isn't the same error - many of them are similar :) 4SNS codes are always sensor error codes in fact!

So I replaced the RAM. Then came the error with the PCIe thing I posted before. I have the feeling the AHT is very inaccurate.

Yeah. I was hoping it's nothing serious. If your Mac Pro is operating normally without any hiccups, probably it's good. I normally keep several GPUs in case I need to compare performances or isolate problems. Leaves out the guesswork. Hope you're enjoying the holidays.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I'm having an error code in the apple hardware test and I was told it is normal, apparently it depends on the installed graphics card. I just want to know if this is normal or not, sadly I don't have any other card to test the Mac. The Mac behaves normally.

Apparently it just concerns the 12 core (mid 2010 model) with 2,93 GHz. No upgraded 2009 models or so.

I'd be very thankful if someone who owns this same computer could get in touch with me. I spent quite some money on this and would be pissed if something was wrong with it. Need to have this done as soon as possible sadly. :(

Cheers

Just to clarify, your Mac Pro's SMC version is "1.39f11"?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I just verified it and yes that's the SMC of my Mac. Why do you ask and what does that mean?

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
the SMC Version is one of two ways to tell if it's a real MacPro5,1 or if it is a flashed MacPro4,1.

SMC Version 1.39f11 = real MacPro5,1
SMC Version 1.39f5 = MacPro4,1 or MacPro4,1 flashed to MacPro5,1

the other way is to check the machine's serial number with http://selfsolve.apple.com

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Oh okay. Yes it is definitely a 5,1 because I once checked when it was built and that was in January 2011 so it's a mid 2010 model.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
How can it not be 100% compatible with the 5,1's firmware when it is a "Mac Edition" card also?

IMO, A Mac Edition card just guarantee that it can run normally (e.g. within TDP limit), and provide you all the basic function that a Mac should provide (e.g. boot screen). There is no guarantee that OSX or the Mac Pro can use a Mac Edition card 100%, or 100% compatible of everything.

e.g. Our card has PCIe 3.0, why can't we use it? That's a PC feature, not for Mac Pro 5,1.

Another example is the card actually has the ability to deliver audio via HDMI, but we won't get it if we don't install extra kext by ourself. It's even worse on the 4,1, the firmware actually not allow to deliver audio through HDMI. Luckily we can fix this by upgrading to the 5,1 firmware. But again, it's a Mac Edition card, why it's not 100% compatible?

Therefore, it's totally possible that some sensor(s) in the card that was build for PC / Windows. Also, AHT is actually much older than our card, it was written when 7950 still not exist. So, the chance that AHT can't understand some of the 7950's temperature sensors' reading is actually quite high.

I am so sorry that my Mac Pro is now doing some video job, I may not able to reboot and run AHT in the next few days. From my memory, I did run AHT after my graphic card upgrade, and I got nothing. However, it's totally possible that this error code only shows on the native 5,1, because of the different SMC version.

If you want to know if it's the slot itself of the card, put your 7950 in slot 2, and then you will know the answer.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
e.g. Our card has PCIe 3.0, why can't we use it? That's a PC feature, not for Mac Pro 5,1.

PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible and such a card, like my MVC modified Gigabyte GTX 780 is happy running in my 5,1 Mac Pro.

Lou

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
IMO, A Mac Edition card just guarantee that it can run normally (e.g. within TDP limit), and provide you all the basic function that a Mac should provide (e.g. boot screen). There is no guarantee that OSX or the Mac Pro can use a Mac Edition card 100%, or 100% compatible of everything.

Another example is the card actually has the ability to deliver audio via HDMI, but we won't get it if we don't install extra kext by ourself. It's even worse on the 4,1, the firmware actually not allow to deliver audio through HDMI. Luckily we can fix this by upgrading to the 5,1 firmware. But again, it's a Mac Edition card, why it's not 100% compatible?

Therefore, it's totally possible that some sensor(s) in the card that was build for PC / Windows. Also, AHT is actually much older than our card, it was written when 7950 still not exist. So, the chance that AHT can't understand some of the 7950's temperature sensors' reading is actually quite high.

I am so sorry that my Mac Pro is now doing some video job, I may not able to reboot and run AHT in the next few days. From my memory, I did run AHT after my graphic card upgrade, and I got nothing. However, it's totally possible that this error code only shows on the native 5,1, because of the different SMC version.

If you want to know if it's the slot itself of the card, put your 7950 in slot 2, and then you will know the answer.

Yes, you speak some truth there. My card however doesn't have USB 3 I believe? I know it has 2 x mini DisplayPort and HDMI. And another thing if I'm not mistaken.

So I suppose it's the card that's the culprit here. I already tried to put it in slot 2 once, and I had the same error. So it's either the card that isn't 100% compatible or I have the big misfortune that both PCIe slots are damaged :D

Well… if I find someone with an original 5,1 card I'll ask if I can test it out just for the sake of feeling better afterwards. If you say nothing's wrong with the Mac I know I can rely on that and probably the Mac is okay :D

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible and such a card, like my MVC modified Gigabyte GTX 780 is happy running in my 5,1 Mac Pro.

Lou

I know, may be it's not a good example. However, I just want to point out that even though the card has the backward compatibility, it's a Mac Edition card, it may still has something on the card that the Mac Pro cannot 100% understand (e.g. PCIe 3.0).

That means, the sensors on the 7950 Mac Edition card may has backward compatibility. Therefore, the card itself can work with the Mac Pro flawlessly, but the Mac Pro may not able to fully understand every single data collect from the sensors. Those data may be correctly decoded once we boot into the current OSX because the driver is up to date, but AHT definitely exist well before the 7950 does, and it may not able to decode those data correctly.

Anyway, it's just my guess. What I realise is that the fan activity definitely change when OSX loaded. It seems the Mac Pro cannot handle the temperature and the fan correctly until driver is loaded.

----------

My card however doesn't have USB 3 I believe?

No No No, I mean PCIe 3.0, NOT USB 3.0.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I just verified it and yes that's the SMC of my Mac. Why do you ask and what does that mean?

Just wanted to check if the machine is a genuine 5,1 model like what Mikeboss just explained. I recall when you purchased your Mac Pro it came with the Radeon 4870 so I thought about asking the SMC. Thanks :)

EdDuPlessis

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
I know, may be it's not a good example. However, I just want to point out that even though the card has the backward compatibility, it's a Mac Edition card, it may still has something on the card that the Mac Pro cannot 100% understand (e.g. PCIe 3.0).

That means, the sensors on the 7950 Mac Edition card may has backward compatibility. Therefore, the card itself can work with the Mac Pro flawlessly, but the Mac Pro may not able to fully understand every single data collect from the sensors. Those data may be correctly decoded once we boot into the current OSX because the driver is up to date, but AHT definitely exist well before the 7950 does, and it may not able to decode those data correctly.

Sensors just send data. That will be the same data no matter which PCIE version, so no need to worry about the PCIE bus. If data isn't being sent correctly it's the sensors that are malfunctioning or incompatibility with the SMC.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No No No, I mean PCIe 3.0, NOT USB 3.0.

My bad, I read wrong. :)

Just wanted to check if the machine is a genuine 5,1 model like what Mikeboss just explained. I recall when you purchased your Mac Pro it came with the Radeon 4870 so I thought about asking the SMC. Thanks :)

You have a good memory! It came with that card, even though it wasn't an original 5,1 card. I didn't need it so I gave it back to the seller who still owes me money until today.

Sensors just send data. That will be the same data no matter which PCIE version, so no need to worry about the PCIE bus. If data isn't being sent correctly it's the sensors that are malfunctioning or incompatibility with the SMC.

Can the AHT not test 3rd party parts like GPUs or HDDs? I bought the card used for 200 Euros… I bought it because it had a bill and warranty left, but when it arrived, there was no bill and hence no warranty. I was told where it was bought however and I asked there with my serial number if I could get a new bill, so I could have the warranty if needed. The store and the manufacturer (Sapphire) never responded me. But if it was damaged it would run like crazy I believe.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I never said that the error is coming from PCIe 3.0, and I doesn't mean that :mad:

I simply want to point out that even though it's a Mac Edition card. It may contain something that not really match with the cMP ;)

Sensors just sent data, however, AHT may not able to decode all those data because the card is much newer than AHT. The sensor may too new, and the data in a new format that AHT couldn't understand. So, the error code not necessary mean that the sensor (or the card) is faulty.

This is just my guess anyway, may be totally wrong :D

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
No I don't think you are wrong, because the seller told me he has the same error (and similar errors) with other graphic cards in the same Mac. But then again, never trust a seller. :D

EdDuPlessis

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
No I don't think you are wrong, because the seller told me he has the same error (and similar errors) with other graphic cards in the same Mac. But then again, never trust a seller. :D

I think it would be good to test in another Mac. That's the first step to checking what's the problem.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you have that error with your card?

Finally have time to run the AHT. Of course it can't recognise the 7950, and said that it only has 256MB VRAM. However, no error found my 4,1.

It seems the SMC version may make the difference.

Hopefully someone has a genuine 5,1 and the 7950 Mac Edition can run the AHT and confirm if it's normal to show that error code.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Haha, our silly Macs :) What have they just drunk.

But thanks a lot for taking the time and testing! It may make a difference, but we'll see if someone else with the same computer has it. I don't think I'll ever find someone :D
Since you said it's okay, I am not afraid something is wrong with, but it would maybe be useful for future users of that Mac who will also use the 7950, maybe to avoid possible confusion. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.