Who has gotten their display fixed at Apple store? (15")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Mar 10, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I think my Macbook Pro is victim of the weak display hinge. I am contemplating bringing to the Apple store this weekend to get it fixed
    . Do I need any type of paperwork or documentation to get it fixed? Its free right? Also how long does it take?

Thanks for reading

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure you're going to have to leave it there for a couple of days ... unless you know that they're fixing it on the spot.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I thought I heard that they did fix it in the Apple store, that they just had to tighten some screws.

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

What? Unis have a hinge? I tought it was magnetic?

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

The hinge at the bottom of the display that allows the display to open/close.

Anyways does anyone know how long it takes and if any documentation is required?

6. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

I thought it was just me, but I noticed that the hinge was a lot looser on my new 15" mbp alum compared to my 13" mb alum. Hm I guess I'll be taking mine in as well to see what they can do.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Call your Apple store or other place of repair. That's the sure way to know.

8. rathernot2 macrumors newbie

I'd brought my unibody mbp to genius bar with the 'hinge problem' and requested to have to lid tighten, and the person took my laptop to the back for a few minutes and later brought it back and stated "there is nothing wrong with your laptop, it is within 'spec', and if you would like to have it 'fixed', we would need to replace the whole screen at a cost of $1240." I was like WTF?

I was asked to complete a survey about my genius bar visit, and I stated what occurred. I was left a vm to contact manager at apple store about my survey.

I would be interested in hearing what others experience are in trying to get their hinge fixed on unibody macbook?

From the research I have done, they would need to completely dismantle the laptop, in order to get access to the hinge in the unibody. The hinge is attached to the LCD panel.

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

Do a search. The looser hinges on the 15'' are not a defect. It's a part of the new design. Almost all of these laptops' lids will close shut on you if you tilt the whole laptop more than 45 degrees vertically. Go into any apple store and try it out on the display units. Every single one will do it. It sucks that it isn't as strong as the previous generation, but you really don't want unnecessary work done on your macbook pro. Apple tech (especially in store) will butcher your device.

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I could have sworn that Apple was fixing the weak hinges now.....I guess not though.