Who has had the glass off their 27" Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mcpix, Jun 4, 2012.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

I've got some questions about removing the glass from a 27" Cinema or Thunderbolt display.

How difficult is it to align the display when replacing the front glass? Are there magnets on all 4 sides of the LCD?

Thanks!

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You may be able to find your answers here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple-Thunderbolt-Display-Teardown/6525/1#.T81w4-2aD8s

As far as replacing the glass, it should be very easy to align as it lines up with the aluminum back on all sides. Set the glass on and then you can slide it slightly to align it.

The iMac is very similar. If the glass isn't aligned perfectly when putting the glass back on, you can just slide it to fit. It will also slide slightly out of alignment if you pick it up wrong.

3. thelead macrumors 6502

Words of caution: If you are goin to do this, make sure your room is dust free. If not, you will get dust behind the glass.

4. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link to the iFixit teardown.

I can't be sure from the photos, but it looks like there aren't any magnets on the bottom of the LCD. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

5. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

It is very easy to take the glass off and put it back on. I added a SSD to my iMac, so I bought the kit from OWC, which is cheaper than iFixit's kit. I also liked OWC's teardown video better. Anyway, the little suction cups work perfectly. The glass comes off easily and snaps against the magnets just as easily.