Who has just finally given up???!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Oct 14, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I quit for right now, I tried activation 37 times and I am done! Things aren't gonna get any better now because people on the west coast will start getting their iPhones and that will really clobber the networks.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I haven't even looked at my new phone yet. Hopefully they have the issues worked out in a couple hours when I am off work.

3. f00f macrumors 65816

I managed to activate mine on the 42nd attempt. No joke.

So try five more times. :D

4. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Wow. 42 F'in times. AT&T you really suck hardcore. I think we should all get a $25.00 credit or something for this lack of being prepared. No Joke!

5. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I haven't received my phone yet, but I hope Verizon isn't having the same problems as AT&T.

6. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Can anyone from Verizon verify if they are also having issues, and Sprint as well. Thanks!

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

As mentioned in other threads, this one may have been an Apple issue.

Activating via the phone generally got through the AT&T T&C fine then hung. Eventually worked.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

AT&T should really beef up their servers. Oh wait, they can't even beef up their cell network. Never mind...

9. neodude237 macrumors member

I got mine activated at the Verizon Store no problem this morning at 8 (PST)...

10. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Weird. I heard about everyone having problems activating their phones, but when I received my phone at 10 am MDT, I had it activated and running after three minutes. Was super smooth for me.

I activated through iTunes on my Macbook Pro.

11. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

I've been trying to activate since 11 am eastern time with no luck..

I took the phone into an AT&T store a few blocks from me. The CSR there tried to activate it there with no luck either. He tried 3 different simm cards, no luck. He tried manually pushing it through the system, no luck. He told me that they haven't had this problem with the 4s phones that they sold there in the AT&T store and said that people who ordered their phones through apple are the ones having this issue.. He finally gave up after about 40 minutes & told me to try bringing it into an Apple store & maybe they can figure it out. There was another woman who came in while I was there with the same problem...

I've made an appt. at the genius bar for 12:20 am tomorrow morning. :mad:

12. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

You're really lucky bro, because there are tonssssss of people who can't activate.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My buddy gave up and went to class to take an exam! I wish I lived in PODUNK, OKLAHOMA instead of the Greater San Francisco Bay Area where 600,000 iPhone 4S' are being activated all at ONE TIME!!! lol :eek:

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Why not call their phone activation number at 1-866-895-1099 and give them some info, turn you phone off and then on and it will be acticated. That is what I did for BOTH of our new iPhone 4S units and it only took a few minutes.

----------

1-866-895-1099, their phone activation number and be done with it in only a few minutes.

I called and got both of my 4S units activated in only 5 minutes.:cool:

15. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm wondering...can't I just take my SIM card from my iPhone 4 and put it in my 4S and it should work? That was always my thought about SIM Cards.

16. SFStateStudent, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Doing it right now...

AT&T still hasn't got it activated...(still on the line)

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not that it isn't worth trying, but I did this and no luck. Dialing that number pushed me to having to talk to a person vs. automated attendant activation.

After a while of the CSR verifying my account was fine, I got moved to tech support who went through a bunch of additional system checks (all seemed good) and was going to move me to tier 2 support -- however I had to bail for a conference call and kept trying to activate via the phone interface. (eventually worked, no idea why other than luck)

18. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

Okay.. FINALLY got it to activate after 4+ hours of trying.. It's the AT&T servers that are at fault!

19. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

20. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I bet they won't have any problems collecting their upgrade fee of 18$...

21. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Even us in "Podunk" Oklahoma can't activate... good one though

22. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

If I get an $18.00 upgrade fee, I will absolutely go nuts on AT&T. Everyone who has had an issue today should get a waiver and a credit in my opinion.

They need to fix their damn servers!!!!!!!

23. stw85 macrumors member

I followed all the directions when I turned on my phone. It never prompt me to connect to iTunes. I plugged phone to my MBP to add songs from iTunes and it never showed any message regarding activation. My phone has wi-fi but no cellular service. AT&T keeps giving me the run around and telling me to connect to iTunes which I have done with no results. Then they just say "oh it can take a while" I have been trying for 3 hours! WTF. Any suggestions?? Is there a way to start over??

24. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I tried calling the activation line and after sitting on hold for about fifteen minutes I was told that they had just received an E-Mail that says customers should "just keep trying, eventually it will work". Classy AT&T, classy.

25. fjrabon macrumors regular

apparently it may be where the iTunes servers interface with AT&T's network. According to AT&T they're only having problems activating iPhones. Their claim is that Since they have by far the most customers on the iPhone and since Apple si giving equal access to all the carriers to the iTunes servers, AT&T just can't get enough access ot the iTunes servers. If it really is true that non-iPhones will activate, it really might be an Apple issue and not AT&T's fault. Though it's hard to say and I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.