Who has moved from 15 inch to 13 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jekjones1558, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jekjones1558, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016

jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I had planned on waiting for the new MBP, mostly to get a 15 inch screen. I am starting to think that it is really a waste of money for a senior citizen who only does basic stuff to buy a MBP, but am I going to really miss a larger screen if I buy the new MB 12 inch? I only do mail, internet, basic photo editing, spreadsheets, nothing fancy. I don't even do much movie editing anymore. I currently am using a mid 2010 15 inch MBP. I also considered trying to get by with an iPP but I still prefer a laptop for some things. TIA for any advice.
    Edit: I meant the title to be 15 inch to 12 inch!!

2. tsang2320 macrumors demi-god

1. 2010 15" MBP: 5.6 pounds; 2016 MB: 2.03 pounds
    2. Retina display has display scaling if you want to maximize the working space
    3. Unless multitasking is frequent, 12" for a window is adequate for daily task.
    4. Don't worry about performance but we don't know what you're dealing with. Best: Try it firsthand before buying.
    5. Using Final Cut Pro X, the MB can actually be pushed quite far for editing videos. Absolutely adequate for occasional family projects.
    6. MB keyboard, despite getting mixed reviews, is still much better than iPP Smart Keyboard to me. (I have used both of them)
    7. 'A waste of money': um, the Mb starts from $1299.
    8. Beware: 480p FT cam, adopters not included

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I had to move from a 17" MBP to an 15" retina MBP. I found it a huge step backwards.

4. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for your replies. The older I get the less I trust my judgement so your willingness to help is appreciated.
    I decided to just jump. I ordered the new MacBook with 512 storage and 1.3 processor. I pay for iCloud storage so I might have been able to get by with 256 but I would rather have too much than too little. I have never returned any iPad, iPhone, iPod or Mac but if I am really unhappy with the 12 inch screen, I guess I will just have to swallow my guilt for making a bad decision and return the MB within 14 days.
    Now I need to do some searching on the best way to clean out junk from my current MBP so I am not copying over a bunch of stuff I don't need. Or maybe I can find a thread to walk me through setting up as new and just copying over things one at a time. I know you techies would be horrified at how many years (think decades) I have been just rolling over backups when I get a new computer! It is a testament to Apple software engineers that my MBP still runs great, albeit a little slower than I would like.

5. tsang2320 macrumors demi-god

Np - just some random thoughts about the machine. All my devices are maintained neatly with an established folder hierarchy under a few set of essential softwares. If I need to migrate to a new laptop, I only need to copy everything under 2 big folder libraries including some installers. Migration assistant or not I should be good to work again very soon. For mobile devices, cloud services are even more heavily relied on.

Not to say setting up as new is not a fun thing to do occasionally. :)