Who has the 128GB iPad Air or Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigpoppamac31, Oct 19, 2016.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I'm debating on getting my first iPad and I'm looking at either a 64GB refurb or a 128GB new. My main concern is my music library. I want to have all my music on my iPad so I can listen to whichever song I want on my home theatre in the living room. Yes I can sit on the couch with my 13" rMBP but I think an iPad would be more convenient. My music library currently takes up 52GB on my Mac and will continue to grow in the future. A refurb 64GB iPad Mini 4 is $439 CDN + tax. A 128GB iPad mini 4 is $629 CDN + tax however my brother works at the Apple Store and he could get me a 25% discount which would bring the 128GB to $471.75 + tax. Is it worth it to get the 128GB?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why not upload your music to Google Play Music for free and then you can stream it at any time in the app on your iPad? You could still save a bunch for offline listening, but it would allow you to save some money and get just a 64GB iPad.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I avoid using anything Google except for searching stuff on the web. I have no accounts with Google nor do I want any.

4. bensisko macrumors 65816

Yes. If you want media stored locally, a 128 is worth it. All my iPads (mini 4, Pro 9.7 and Pro 12.9) are 128 (even though I'm a heavy cloud and stream user).

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

How do you like the mini compared to the "standard" 9.7" iPad?

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

I like them both for different reasons.

The iPad Mini fits in my pocket, goes everywhere with me, and is basically what a phone is for most other people. The portability is key, but it lacks the Pencil.

The 9.7 Pro is my portable sketchbook and notepad (with OneNote). I also like reading on it better than the Mini (though the Mini is a pretty great portable reader.

If I had to choose only one, I would probably go with the 9.7 because of the Pencil and the larger screen. If you want the ultra portability, the mini is an excellent option!

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Then I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is?

I was under the impression you were looking for ways to make a 64GB iPad work, but if you're not interested in alternatives to storing all of your music on your iPad locally, you have no choice but to get at least 128GB.

8. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well the only option you suggested is Google so yes this thread is relevant.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2016 ---
    Well I don't plan on taking my iPad anywhere but I may do so now and then. I was referring to the 9.7" iPad in general and not just the Pro. I like the Air/Pro because it's much nicer to read on but the Mini is nice too cause I find it easier to type on while holding it. Not sure how the Mini fits in your pocket though. You must have big pockets. lol

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

And all you said was that you don't have a Google account nor are you interested in making one. You're going to need to make an account for pretty much any alternative service you use, so again, you have no option but 128GB.

10. bensisko macrumors 65816

Hehe - yes, I usually wear a sport jacket, or, in the summer, shorts with larger pockets.

Yeah, if you don't plan on taking it everywhere, go with the 9.7". The 9.7 is portable enough for occasional use.

11. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I find it interesting that the iPad Air 2 and Mini 4 are both the same price. Makes it more difficult to choose.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If you need it on the go, then get as large an iPad as you need.

But if you're at home you can leave a computer on (or asleep but with wake-on-LAN enabled) to serve up iTunes. Then your collection is essentially unlimited in size for music and video. It's called Home Sharing--here is Apple's article about it:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190

13. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

14. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Right now I use my rMBP and play my music through Airplay on my Airport Express connected to my AV receiver. I think an iPad would be nicer to use for reading while I'm enjoying music.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2016 ---
    I'm not putting my music "in the cloud". I used to have iTunes Match and I didn't like how it worked overall.

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, what I'm trying to say is that you can use your iPad as the controlling device without actually having to store all of your music on it. The music can be stored on a computer (or NAS) on your network tucked away anywhere, while you use the Music app on your iPad just as if it were stored locally on it.

16. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

So how do I do that?

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I included a link in post 12 with detailed, step-by-step instructions.

18. bigpoppamac31, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I'll figure it out. I tried home sharing when I had an ATV but it wasn't a good experience. The wifi connection wasn't good so many times it didn't work.

EDIT: So I tried the steps and I cannot get home sharing to work on my iPhone. When I touch "Artist" the list comes up to change the option but home sharing is not one of them. I checked to make sure I'm signed into HS on my phone and it is turned on on my Mac.

EDIT 2: Now works. I had to turn off home sharing on my Mac and turn back on.

19. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Another potential way of using the iPad (or iPhone) to control your computer's music selection is using the iTunes Remote app. It's made by Apple, it's free, and it works pretty nicely as long as you're on the same wifi network... audio is ultimately played through the computer, not the iPad, and it works nicely for that purpose.

20. Jim Nasium macrumors newbie

I have a mini 2 with cell data and 128Gb. My intention was to record multitrack digital audio with it. I still haven't found the right app for that yet. (Recommendations welcome.)

I have never hit the storage limit barrier, and that's exactly why I wanted it, so I don't have to worry about it.