Who has the first refurbished iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayLenochiniMac, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I swapped out my iPhone 4 a couple days ago as it had a defective camera and my replacement serial number starts with 5K, indicating that it's a refurb. Previously, the iPhone 4 hasn't been out long enough for someone to get a refurbished one and black box warranty replacement iPhones have started with 8.

Who else has a refurbished iPhone 4?

2. joshuasiphone macrumors newbie

Same here. Had mine swapped out yesterday and got a refurb unit. Kinda disappointed, oh well.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Who cares? If it's working better than the one you had replaced, then what's the problem?

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Just knowing that someone else touched it ruins the whole experience, obviously!

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Lol, I guess. But if iPhone refurbs are anything like Mac refurbs, then they are technically tested a lot more and "cleaned" more so than the brand new units.

6. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I should have used a smiley—I was being sarcastic. The hysteria over refurbs is ridiculous. ;)

7. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Mine feels and looks exactly the same so it makes no difference to me.

8. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh I know you were being sarcastic, hence the "lol" in my post. :D

10. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Not for purchase yet, but a couple of us have a refurbed iPhone 4 that we obtained as warranty replacement.

11. nelly41 macrumors regular

My replacement starts with an 8. I asked if it was a refurb. The guy told me that apple doesn't have returns available yet.

12. JayLenochiniMac thread starter macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yours is new, but when did you get your replacement? iPhone 4s starting with 5K are just coming out.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You do know that they change the housing, don't you?

Apple refurbs are as good as new.

Edit: Damn it people use smilies if you are being sarcastic!:p

14. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

My last three macs have all been refurbs. As for my iPhones, I would, but I can't wait that long to get one, so they have all been new (though my first iPhone did die and was replaced, prob with a refurb).

15. jenga1891 macrumors newbie

mine was replaced yesterday as well in the sf Stockton st store and it started with a 5K in serial. however it works flawlessly so far. the replacements before were all non-refurbished but I was able to find a problem right away for each one. I have yet to find a problem with this one so I'm really happy. the Mac bar genius told me that the refurbished units are almost brand new with the exception of the chip and possibly the camera--housing is brand new :)

16. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

With the few exchanges I have had with Apple the replacement has been flawless anyways.

17. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I'm getting a refurbished one but I have to wait a week for them to get them in stock. My brand new iPhone I got this past week has a defective camera.

18. techluvr macrumors regular

Refurbs have had far more testing than new models. They will probably be a better solution to your problem than a new one.

19. Macbie macrumors member

Even the Apple girl whom helped me did the exchange yesterday said she wants a refurb phone her self because they have better qualities than the brand new ones.

20. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

i exchanged mine too on Friday and the guy took my iphone out of a black box and then put my old one into that box and i even asked him if it is a refurbished one or not and he said they do not have one yet so all are brand new and here is my replacement serial id 5k0290pka4t

21. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

completely false

when apple refurbishes a phone they replace what doesn't work with a new part and then put brand new exterior parts on it, then test as usual.

This is a BIG reason why apple relies on those water sensors. Unlike other things (like an LCD that doesn't work) when a phone has water damage it pretty much has to be thrown away.

My replacement phone was new (8K)

but honestly I've had refurbished phones in the past and they were just as good as new.. I opened it up and didn't see any additional dust or fingerprints so I imagine they also take the time to clean the internal parts completely when they refurbish the unit

22. Aboo macrumors 6502a

its not necessarily safe to post your serial number in a public forum.

23. zerix macrumors member

my phones serial number begins with a 7, what does this mean?

24. nelly41 macrumors regular

I got mine replaced last Sunday.