Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I swapped out my iPhone 4 a couple days ago as it had a defective camera and my replacement serial number starts with 5K, indicating that it's a refurb. Previously, the iPhone 4 hasn't been out long enough for someone to get a refurbished one and black box warranty replacement iPhones have started with 8.

Who else has a refurbished iPhone 4?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Lol, I guess. But if iPhone refurbs are anything like Mac refurbs, then they are technically tested a lot more and "cleaned" more so than the brand new units.
I should have used a smiley—I was being sarcastic. The hysteria over refurbs is ridiculous. ;)

nelly41

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
My replacement starts with an 8. I asked if it was a refurb. The guy told me that apple doesn't have returns available yet.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

nelly41 said:
My replacement starts with an 8. I asked if it was a refurb. The guy told me that apple doesn't have returns available yet.

Yours is new, but when did you get your replacement? iPhone 4s starting with 5K are just coming out.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Just knowing that someone else touched it ruins the whole experience, obviously!

You do know that they change the housing, don't you?

Apple refurbs are as good as new.

Edit: Damn it people use smilies if you are being sarcastic!:p

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
My last three macs have all been refurbs. As for my iPhones, I would, but I can't wait that long to get one, so they have all been new (though my first iPhone did die and was replaced, prob with a refurb).

jenga1891

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
mine was replaced yesterday as well in the sf Stockton st store and it started with a 5K in serial. however it works flawlessly so far. the replacements before were all non-refurbished but I was able to find a problem right away for each one. I have yet to find a problem with this one so I'm really happy. the Mac bar genius told me that the refurbished units are almost brand new with the exception of the chip and possibly the camera--housing is brand new :)

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
With the few exchanges I have had with Apple the replacement has been flawless anyways.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I'm getting a refurbished one but I have to wait a week for them to get them in stock. My brand new iPhone I got this past week has a defective camera.

Macbie

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Even the Apple girl whom helped me did the exchange yesterday said she wants a refurb phone her self because they have better qualities than the brand new ones.

Black.Infinity

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Apple tree-Toronto
i exchanged mine too on Friday and the guy took my iphone out of a black box and then put my old one into that box and i even asked him if it is a refurbished one or not and he said they do not have one yet so all are brand new and here is my replacement serial id 5k0290pka4t

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Refurbs have had far more testing than new models. They will probably be a better solution to your problem than a new one.

completely false

when apple refurbishes a phone they replace what doesn't work with a new part and then put brand new exterior parts on it, then test as usual.

This is a BIG reason why apple relies on those water sensors. Unlike other things (like an LCD that doesn't work) when a phone has water damage it pretty much has to be thrown away.

My replacement phone was new (8K)

but honestly I've had refurbished phones in the past and they were just as good as new.. I opened it up and didn't see any additional dust or fingerprints so I imagine they also take the time to clean the internal parts completely when they refurbish the unit

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
i exchanged mine too on Friday and the guy took my iphone out of a black box and then put my old one into that box and i even asked him if it is a refurbished one or not and he said they do not have one yet so all are brand new and here is my replacement serial id 5k0290pka4t

its not necessarily safe to post your serial number in a public forum.

nelly41

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2009
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yours is new, but when did you get your replacement? iPhone 4s starting with 5K are just coming out.

I got mine replaced last Sunday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.