Who has the oldest Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rickboy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rickboy macrumors newbie

ok, I just wanna post this thread to see who has the oldest mac desktop as their main computer. It cant be a computer that you have stashed away in your basement, it has to be the machine you currently use as your main computer. You see Im long over due for an update. ive had my Mac for 10 years, yes I love my Mac... but the poor thing cant really handle much more before it goes BOOM! Its come to a point were I HAVE to upgrade, but in the meantime this is what I got:

Im running a PowerMac G4 400 mhz, PCI, 512MB RAM, 10GB and 13GB hard disks, with Mac OSX Panther and Adobe CS2 bundle. Its never given me a virus, spy ware, never crashed, never had to reinstall the operating system, ive had it for 10 years, used it extensivly and downloaded tons a crap from the internet. i use it to work, do my audio, graphic design and illustration stuff and even animations with after effects. It serves its purpose for me. It runs a bit slow but not as slow as to keep me working. It doesnt die. But frankly I want to play star Craft 2 when it comes out so i'll need a better machine. It cant handle leopard or CS 3 since they occupy more disk space. So my mac has reached its end. Panther was its last stop. I can install Tiger but it will leave me with very little disk space to run adobe software, since they require SCRATCH disk space. Its alright to laugh, but i love my machine. but im gonna purchase a higend Macbook ro to replace it soon, but right now its currently my main MAC.

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm not laughing, by any means. Here's my G3 in action with two 1280x1024 displays.

[​IMG]

3. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Up until about a day ago I had a Mac Classic 512k but gave it to a friend because I don't have room for it now.

Oldest Mac Product still working... My Newton 2100 with a 8mb PCMIA card and 33.3k modem that still works. :cool:

~Crawn

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Until just before December last year I had a 900MHz iBook G3 with 384MB RAM (updated from 256MB) running Tiger (Leopard didnt like my G3 CPU :(), it still works (I can boot it from a Linux live boot disk) but the HD is dead, and as im due for a new Mac anyway, im saving for a MacBook instead of replacing the HD, not long to go now!

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wait, so what are you running now? The iBook off a LiveCD?

Ha ha! I have a 128k. I win. :D

Love those Newtons, what do you use yours for?

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well I tryed but have you used a iBook running off the disc drive? It is slooowwww!!! The only computer I have is a Windows laptop I got from school, but there is my mums 24" iMac that I can use, which is what I use mostly, posting from my iPod Touch now though.

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, right now I'm kinda using my slow iBook as a super-remote for my MacBook. My iPt is what I would normally be using, cause I'm in another room from where my MB is. Right now I'm installing Xubuntu on a P3 laptop I'm fixing up, and it's taking FOREVER. :p

Anyway, kinda random post. Ain't Screen sharing great? :D

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My mini is out of commission, so I'm running on a 800 MHz iBook G3. Safari is surprisingly snappy! :D :p

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have an ancient late 2006 iMac 20". Just kidding about the ancient part, but that is my oldest Mac though :D

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Well up until September of 2007 I had been using a PowerBook G3 (Pismo 400mhz 386mb RAM 6gb HD) as my main mobile computer. Installing XUbuntu on it right now.

12. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

using powerbook 1.33 ghz 15" screen, 1gb ram, 60gb drive, combo

oldest is

Blue G3 Powermac

and imac original

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

This thread is back, woo!

Did I forget ot mention before that I have a Power Macintosh 7100/80? :p

14. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I am still victorious. For I have a 128k, and you cannot defeat me.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I can! As I have the all-mighty imagenary Apple I! :cool:

16. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Shouldnt this thread be "who has the oldest Mac that they still use as their main machine"?

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My main machine is a 1.33 GHz iBook G4. Not nearly as ancient as some of the machines in this thread, but it sure feels ancient with 512 MB of RAM and Leopard.:p

All my Macs, starting from years highest to lowest

Mac mini - 2006
    iBook G4 - 2006
    iBook G3 - 2002
    iBook G3 - 1999
    iMac G3 - 1998
    Macintosh Classic - 1990
    Apple IIc - 1984

18. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Well just as a bit of a correction. That would be a little over 8 years I believe. I got my G4 450 'sawtooth' in Feb. 2000 and retired it last summer when I bought a 2.8Ghz 24" Al iMac. The G4 Tower lineup was introduced in the fall of 1999 to replace the G3. It was originally supposed to come in 400, 450, and 500 mhz configs but b/c Motorola couldn't produce stable quantities of the 500, they released it in 350, 400, and 450 mhz configs at the same price point. Not to mention production was slow and quantities were limited. I don't believe they started shipping till around November or December 1999. I ordered my 450 and it arrived late February. Even the Blue and White G3s only came out in January 1999, just over 9 years ago.