Who hasn't upgraded to Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeymike1, Jun 2, 2012.

1. mikeymike1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Mountain Lion as I'm sure most of you are too. Was just wondering how many of you didn't upgrade to Lion? If so, was there any particular reason why not? I'm still running Snow Leopard and I love it, I just never got around to upgrading. Am I really missing out? Sorry this is so pointless, just curious!

2. youse123 macrumors newbie

You would need to upgrade to Lion before upgrading to Mountain Lion

And yeah I wish I didn't upgrade to Lion

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'd hold out and wait until Apple lets us know the upgrade path. Mountain Lion could be free and thus you'd be able to just buy it for $29 from the Mac App Store.

If they charge money for Mountain Lion there may be a different upgrade process. I hope they tell us the price of Mountain Lion at WWDC.

4. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

I don't think this has been confirmed yet. You might want to check your facts before posting or provide some details to back it up.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Lion 10.7.0 was riddled with bugs. I was shocked that Apple released such a buggy OS given the fact that Leopard and Snow Leopard were very good releases with little bugs.

Lion -for me- didn't become fully useable until 10.7.2 or .3.

I hope that ML .0 is better then L .0.

I still miss Spaces under Lion but the rest of it I've grown to live with.

-P

PS - However, ML is way ahead of Windows 8 right now given that they are both in beta. W8 is kind of a mess in my opinion...

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Upgraded to lion a few weeks after its release. Turns out I had a few PPC apps hanging around. Installed a SL partition afterwards..

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have resisted downgrading to Lion because mission control is a joke compared to Exposé. Now that Mountain Lion has the capability to ungroup windows there's a better chance that I'll upgrade to that.

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Lion is amazing! The most important thing you're missing out would be iCloud integration, that's HUGE! There is a lot of new feature to make your Mac looks new as well :D

So I'd highly recommend you update ASAP :D

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There are workarounds for most of the iCloud integration.

10. frank.deale macrumors regular

I'm still on Leopard and am quite happy, thank you.

11. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I'm still rocking SL because Final Cut 6 won't run on Lion

12. dank414 macrumors member

I'm the same. The main reason, battery drain.

13. Retzius macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to Lion even though Mountain Lion is around the corner. I hope apple will give us deal on ML upgrade.

I really have not experienced any issues using Lion thus far, I did hear a lot of problems after its initial release. I hope that those issues have been resolved by now.

14. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I really feel like every system upgrade will be $30 from now on

15. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

That's incorrect. All you need is the latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) or higher and supported hardware to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Same as the upgrade from SL to Lion.

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Still on 10.6.8 because I have many things customized and don't need to upgrade. Lion doesn't feature anything that I need so I'm okay.

17. mushtama macrumors member

I'm still running on SL, as my printer and external harddrive aren't compatible with Lion (or so they say on the websites). However, I may buy a new printer and harddrive when ML comes out so that I don't start lagging behind.

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Maybe you should have done a poll
    Lion and happy
    Lion and can stand it
    Lion but regret it
    Snow Leopard
    Leopard

Me I am also still on Snow Leopard. I don't see how Lion works well with multiple monitors. Mission Control just doesn't compare to Spaces. Full screen mode is dumb the optionless way it is implemented.
    I don't need iCloud as I use other services.

Worts of all worse battery life would be expected.

I just don't see how that should be worth it even if it was free and they want 30 bucks for it. The only positive thing are some GUI changes with the scroll bars. All others I would have to set back to "used to be" anyway.

Windows 8 on the other hand.
    7 second startup, lower RAM use, low priority RAM system for giving the RAM to the App that really makes good use of it. Better Battery life than Win7. A GUI that sucks less rather than more power (less Aero). GUI that works good for pros and beginners (minimize-able Ribbon, Shortcuts, many options)
    NTFS repair improvements, a bit more speed here and there.
    Metro seems great for Tablets, TV, Media may have a few use cases for desktops too but is optional.
    Better Multi-monitor Support for the task bar. Multimonitor support even in Metro though I am not sure that would be used.
    3rd party spaces like apps seem to work better again.

That is how a new OS should be different from its old. It costs more but still there is no such effort in Lion. A few GUI changes and iCloud. Even that did MS better IMO because they give good support and APIs for many options and don't offer only their own while leaving 3rd party stuff stranded.

I will probably by a new Notebook when Haswell comes in a year. I am very happy with SL and the Touchpad with BetterTouchTool. Only for Gaming it really sucks. But if there is some decent windows hardware out by then, with a good touchpad with some options, I guess it will be back to Windows.
    Especially a convertible Notebook with a matte finger print resistent screen would really sell me. That would be like the perfect notebook. I don't like multiple devices but sometimes a touchpad is better.
    A big 14/15" convertible with some serious quad core power and a good mainstream gaming capable GPU and long battery life.
    That with Windows 8 I think would be the perfect thing for me. (matte not glass)
    Even two devices with absolutely the same OS they could work better together than just a bit of streaming. Also the amount of synchronisation that Win 8 will offer sound promising. Login and all is set up the same as on the other PC and you can just continue working.

19. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

This thread is about Mountain Lion ....not that joke of an OS that Windows 8 will be labeled as soon enough.

20. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Lion cut my battery life in half so I went back to 10.6.8.

But plan on skipping up to Mountain Lion after its release. Pretty impressed with 10.8 so far and iCloud integration kinda grows on you.

21. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

10.6.8 here. Probably staying that way for quite some time.

I still use AppleWorks 6 (ie requires Rosetta, which 10.7 does not have), and have years of stuff in AppleWorks format. Sure, I can use Pages and Numbers, but AppleWorks 6 is just sharp and fast, and I know it well. It does the job.

Very miffed that there is no Rosetta from now on.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't want to upgrade to Lion, but unfortunately iCloud requires it and I needed to move from MobileMe.

23. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Still on Snow Leopard because I find mission control, autosave, versions and resume to be really crappy developments by Apple. Very disappointed in Lion. Hopefully Mountain Lion will change or improve upon those issues/features.