Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Goodbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
pahrump nv
ok lets think realistic in that there needs to be some sort of a fix for the "way to scratch-able" back of an ipod touch :rolleyes:

Attachments

• ipod-touch-back.jpg
    ipod-touch-back.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,320
  • ipod-touch-third-generation-camera.jpg
    ipod-touch-third-generation-camera.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 286

Mr.Goodbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
pahrump nv
everyone knows you can buy a case but what wacko idea would you resort to doing? i think a nice clear nail enamel would do it lol please feel free to post pics of your scratched "back"

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Cases to me have always been a moot point. If you are going to use a case, you'll never see the back of your device. In other words, there is no sense in worrying about scratches because 1) they are inevitable and 2) the only way to prevent them is to never have the opportunity to enjoy looking at the back of your iPod.

Kulahan

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Oh man, mine's pretty bad. See those curved scratches? I get bored and twirl mine on the desk! :rolleyes:
itouch.jpg

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
I hate scratches to, but I don't want to have to not be able to "feel" my ipod. About a year I bought fixit scratch remover for the car, off one of those Billy Mays infomercials, it came with fixit for the home. To make a long story short it works, if your ipod is really bad it won't make it perfect just like new, it's pretty darn close.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Actually, the scratches only appear curved because of the point light source.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
everyone knows you can buy a case but what wacko idea would you resort to doing? i think a nice clear nail enamel would do it lol please feel free to post pics of your scratched "back"

Clear nail enamel? I never thought of that? Does that work well? I just use a skin from bestskinsever.com still looks nice and shiny, no scratches, no bulk and improved grip.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I do too... but look, it's an iPod, not a priceless heirloom. Some of y'all need to chill a little bit with the scratches thing. Mine's REALLY bad, there are 3 or 4 dents, it's a 1G touch, what do you expect. I could buy a case, but they cost money!

Here it is. Draw back from your screens in horror. :D

uwoc0.jpg

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
yep, I agree with the previous poster - this is a consumable, not a priceless antique.

I'm careful not to scratch the glass side, but the scratched back is the trade off for actually using the device...

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
I use a case but not to prevent scratches. I use a case because the IPT feels fragile and is to thin. It still gets scratches even with the case on it just nothing like the pics posted.

gusto5

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
Canada
I do too... but look, it's an iPod, not a priceless heirloom. Some of y'all need to chill a little bit with the scratches thing. Mine's REALLY bad, there are 3 or 4 dents, it's a 1G touch, what do you expect. I could buy a case, but they cost money!

Here it is. Draw back from your screens in horror. :D

uwoc0.jpg

Keep it going until it looks like a matte finish instead ;D

Mr.Goodbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
pahrump nv
Clear nail enamel? I never thought of that? Does that work well? I just use a skin from bestskinsever.com still looks nice and shiny, no scratches, no bulk and improved grip.

i my self have not tried it on an ipod touch but i have with other devices and as long as you are really good with how you put the coating on then it works :D

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Here's mine. It's been in a case it's whole life. They do work after all!

4324527876_6fd496f94e.jpg

I hate using cases too, but I hate scratches worse. I think the ultimate answer is for Apple to use more durable materials. Of course, that would kinda destroy the look/feel of the products too, so maybe the point is moot.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
[snip]
I hate using cases too, but I hate scratches worse. I think the ultimate answer is for Apple to use more durable materials. Of course, that would kinda destroy the look/feel of the products too, so maybe the point is moot.

Wow, so THAT'S what mine used to look like... weird.

Vesuvio Cat

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010

4324527876_6fd496f94e.jpg

Wow. What kind of case do you use?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Try being an iPhone 3G user and worrying about cracks in the plastic case. Ugh.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Wow. What kind of case do you use?

I use an agent 18 clearshield. The day I got it, I went down the the apple store and bought the case. It still pretty much looks brand new. The nice thing is the case is clear, so you don't lose a whole lot of the look/feel of the device. The case for the 1st Gen Touch is a little bulkier than the 2nd/3rd gen, but I'm really glad I have it!

I also have a clearshield for my 5th gen iPod video. the case is beat to hell, but the iPod still looks pretty good! The back of the iPod has some scratches where I dropped it once. The case popped off when it landed, and the back of the iPod landed on concrete. The case did the job for the initial impact, though. Someday I'll polish the back out on the iPod again.

I did try the Zagg Invisibleshield, but I really didn't like it. It was incredibly difficult to install correctly, and it ruined the look of the screen. Something like that would be awesome if they worked right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.