Who Hates Scratches. I Do!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mr.Goodbar, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Mr.Goodbar macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

ok lets think realistic in that there needs to be some sort of a fix for the "way to scratch-able" back of an ipod touch :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Mr.Goodbar thread starter macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

everyone knows you can buy a case but what wacko idea would you resort to doing? i think a nice clear nail enamel would do it lol please feel free to post pics of your scratched "back"

3. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

Cases to me have always been a moot point. If you are going to use a case, you'll never see the back of your device. In other words, there is no sense in worrying about scratches because 1) they are inevitable and 2) the only way to prevent them is to never have the opportunity to enjoy looking at the back of your iPod.

4. Kulahan macrumors newbie

Oh man, mine's pretty bad. See those curved scratches? I get bored and twirl mine on the desk! :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i kinda like them, b/c i like the naked feel of the ipod touch in my hand.....but with protection it makes it seem fat...:p

6. bsblvnv macrumors regular

I hate scratches to, but I don't want to have to not be able to "feel" my ipod. About a year I bought fixit scratch remover for the car, off one of those Billy Mays infomercials, it came with fixit for the home. To make a long story short it works, if your ipod is really bad it won't make it perfect just like new, it's pretty darn close.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I hate scratches as much as the next guy, but dents are TOTALLY unacceptable :eek:

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Actually, the scratches only appear curved because of the point light source.

9. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

LOL. that's nice. leaving it naked with no protection just lowered your sell back value :]

11. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Clear nail enamel? I never thought of that? Does that work well? I just use a skin from bestskinsever.com still looks nice and shiny, no scratches, no bulk and improved grip.

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I do too... but look, it's an iPod, not a priceless heirloom. Some of y'all need to chill a little bit with the scratches thing. Mine's REALLY bad, there are 3 or 4 dents, it's a 1G touch, what do you expect. I could buy a case, but they cost money!

Here it is. Draw back from your screens in horror. :D

[​IMG]

13. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

yep, I agree with the previous poster - this is a consumable, not a priceless antique.

I'm careful not to scratch the glass side, but the scratched back is the trade off for actually using the device...

14. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I use a case but not to prevent scratches. I use a case because the IPT feels fragile and is to thin. It still gets scratches even with the case on it just nothing like the pics posted.

15. gusto5 macrumors member

Keep it going until it looks like a matte finish instead ;D

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

It's already most of the way there.

17. Mr.Goodbar thread starter macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

i my self have not tried it on an ipod touch but i have with other devices and as long as you are really good with how you put the coating on then it works :D

18. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Here's mine. It's been in a case it's whole life. They do work after all!

[​IMG]

I hate using cases too, but I hate scratches worse. I think the ultimate answer is for Apple to use more durable materials. Of course, that would kinda destroy the look/feel of the products too, so maybe the point is moot.

19. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wow, so THAT'S what mine used to look like... weird.

20. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I put a Gelaskin on my 3 year old iPod. It's like the scratches were never there.

21. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

Wow. What kind of case do you use?

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Try being an iPhone 3G user and worrying about cracks in the plastic case. Ugh.

23. SarahH212 macrumors newbie

SarahH212

You usually buy the case after you scratch the heck out of it... Only then realizing you should have bought a case earlier! :D

24. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I use an agent 18 clearshield. The day I got it, I went down the the apple store and bought the case. It still pretty much looks brand new. The nice thing is the case is clear, so you don't lose a whole lot of the look/feel of the device. The case for the 1st Gen Touch is a little bulkier than the 2nd/3rd gen, but I'm really glad I have it!

I also have a clearshield for my 5th gen iPod video. the case is beat to hell, but the iPod still looks pretty good! The back of the iPod has some scratches where I dropped it once. The case popped off when it landed, and the back of the iPod landed on concrete. The case did the job for the initial impact, though. Someday I'll polish the back out on the iPod again.

I did try the Zagg Invisibleshield, but I really didn't like it. It was incredibly difficult to install correctly, and it ruined the look of the screen. Something like that would be awesome if they worked right.