Who hates Skeuomorphism in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kudukudu, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Do you like Skeuomorphic design elements in IOS 6 and Mountain Lion?

1. yes I like the skeuomorphic design elements in applications like Calendar and Contacts

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No I can't stand the skeuomorphic designs in applications like Calendar and Contacts

38 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. kudukudu macrumors regular

A recent article suggests Ive dislikes skeuomophism and will be doing away with all of the leather frills on Calendar, yellow notepad, etc. that we are used to seeing in IOS and OS X:

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/29/jony-ive-paints-a-fresh-yet-familiar-look-for-ios-7/

I for one can't wait until this happens and can't stand some what Apple did with the design elements in Calendar and Contacts in Mountain Lion. I am curious what other people think.

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

There kind of needs to be a choice that says "I don't hate it, but I don't love it", because I like the idea, but I don't like how much of it Apple has implemented into their apps. ;)

Hopefully 10.9 will bring some nice changes to the skeuomorphed apps.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Indeed. I don't hate the concept, but some of the implementations are a little tedious.
    iCal in Lion is the worst offender, of course.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I'd say contacts is, because to me the whole book layout of the app makes no sense to me.

Calendar in Mountain Lion isn't so bad IMO, still just a little too much leather :D :p

5. tekno macrumors 6502a

I hate the way it looks and hate even more when it makes things slower. iCal, for example, takes ages to scroll through the months purely because you need to wait for the page turn animation each time.

If Windows wasn't even worse, I'd ditch OS X in a heartbeat. It's about time someone else brought out a true desktop OS to give us some more choice.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Holding down <alt> removes the animation when you click.

7. qwerty994 macrumors member

qwerty994

I'm fine with some skeuomorphism, but please get rid of that god awful Contacts app on iPad...

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Not me. I embrace change and being different.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You're right there; it would make sense if you could swipe or drag to turn the page (to the next contact) but in reality the book is purely decorative.

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Mountain Lion improved these over Lion which was the worst implementation. But I agree about Contacts -- Address Book in Snow Leopard (and earlier) was really nice to use with the three pane design. It made sense even though it was far from skeuomorphic.

12. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

That is true… especially in Calendar. It's a little toned down.

13. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I have to say that I've only heard the word "skeuomorphic" over the last year, though people have been talking about user interfaces using "real world metaphors" since the 1970s.

Apple's Scrapbook app in OS 7 had turning pages, I seem to remember, with the bottom corner folded over.

But many of the basic concepts of the UI are themselves skeuomorphic: folders. Clicking on a padlock, etc.

Where it's necessary to get people to interact with a UI object, then it's a good thing. Where it is unnecessary and purely decorative -- yellow leather trim -- then it's not.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I agree about the seemingly only recent use, but apparently the word has been around since 1889 or 1890 (depending on source).

15. printz macrumors regular

Thankfully I use none of the applications with skeuomorphism — Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Reminders or Game Center. The rest of OSX's look? Gradient aluminium window frames? I love it. Not only they match the Mac's build, but are also used by some X window (e.g. Linux) desktop environments like Xfce, KDE. It makes switching between Mac and a PC running Linux seamless.