Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Having learned to touch-type on a British "Imperial" telecommunications typewriter (all letters upper case) some fifty-eight eight years ago, and enjoyed many an hour at many a desktop Mac's "big, bulky, heavy, thick button keyboard" since 1997... I too find that the ultra-slim aluminum desktop keyboard that came three months ago with my refurbished iMac 20" Intel 2.66 is not conducive to touch-typing... as for its mouse... I prefer and use a KENSINGTON Expert Mouse Trackball - optical - wired - PS/2 USB Model K64325...

Damned skippy! You learned to touch-type 58 years ago? That's cool. I started only when my dad used to bring home an Apple IIe and this other "portable" called a Kaypro (can't remember the spelling!). My mom used to use a typewriter with the arms that whaced the ribbon. I sort of started on that, but was more fascinated with how it worked.

Anyway, back to the new keyboards. I am currently typing on my old 12" PB G4 which is missing the "p" button. Anyway I have only tried the new one at the Apple store and didn't have any problems. I had been thinking of getting a new keyboard to connect up to this, but have never gotten around to it.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I started only when my dad used to bring home an Apple IIe and this other "portable" called a Kaypro (can't remember the spelling!). My mom used to use a typewriter with the arms that whaced the ribbon. I sort of started on that, but was more fascinated with how it worked.

Anyway, back to the new keyboards. I am currently typing on my old 12" PB G4 which is missing the "p" button. Anyway I have only tried the new one at the Apple store and didn't have any problems. I had been thinking of getting a new keyboard to connect up to this, but have never gotten around to it.
Dang, that's almost my story, too. My folks had two of those manual typewriters, and at 4 or 5 I didn't have enough finger strength to get the letter imprinted on the paper unless I used two at a time. And forget using pinkie fingers altogether. We got the Osborne 1 which would have been about the same time as the Kaypro, and I could actually type on that keyboard. I think the worst keyboards were the membrane types on the Atari 400's. Hate, hate, hate.

I've plinked at the newer keyboards at BestBuy, but I'm sure it would take a few hours of typing before I could decide if I like them or not.

integrat.ethis

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
I'm a touch typist, and I love the thin keyboard (it's my first Apple keyboard). I've got to say though, the keys on my MBP are a bit more springy, which makes a better compromise between the chiclet and traditional style in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.