Who here has already scratched their 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejuanpiman, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ejuanpiman macrumors member

So after a couple of weeks now of ownership since iPhone 3GS day, I have first started seing the blemishes and scratches from normal wear and tear. I have never dropped my phone, who is starting to see these as well? do you think it takes away from your beautiful iPhone? Hope all of you had a great 4th of July!

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I refuse to examine mine for early scuffs :) She's a working girl, she'll just have to like it.

My 3G still looks pretty good after it's 10 months of heavy use. It does have some hairline cracks down the side of the screen, though (no idea what that's about) and no doubt plenty of fine scratches on the back plastic.

Though beautiful, these things are here to be used.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Hmm. A few scratches on the shiny Apple logo. A few hairline cracks in the housing, manufacturer defect. Nothing on my screen. Its pristine. However, I just took the screen protector off 3 days ago, but in my slider it is classy looking. :)

A few un-desirable blemishes in the phone, but none my fault. They will be dealt with later with Apple. For now I'm waiting until the initial rush for them is over. I dont want to take one from one from someone who has been waiting when my only issue is cosmetic.

4. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Not one scratch on the back, ive had an invisible shield on it since the day i got it (the morning it came out), i didnt put it on the front because i didnt think i would need it, since the glass is pretty much scratch proof, but somehow i got one deep scratch to the left of the home button, go figure. Only scratch that i have on her though, shes still as beautiful as the day i got her :) lol.

5. Acronym macrumors 68000

i am a landscaper and i have mne in a incase slider yet along the outer areas of the back there are scratch marks.

any sort of case that will prevent this? are ther full body plastic film covers?

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I don't have any big scratches on mine. I stupidly dropped my phone in a parking lot face down yesterday, only got a couple marks around the chrome. It looked terrible so I brushed the bezel with a 3M pad (you know, those green/yellow pads) and now the bezel looks good, only a couple marks from the drop. But all those little chrome scratches that you get are gone :) and now it's harder to scratch the bezel. It's something everyone should do!

Anyways, aside from a little chrome busting, everything looks good on mine (usually use Switcheasy Colors with the PS anti glare)

7. ejuanpiman thread starter macrumors member

I have some on the apple logo, and some on the back casing... Of course these come with some scratches on the chrome bezel as well... All in all I think as long as the screen is intact these are pretty normal and will come with time. I do have a loose silent switch when set to silent, and the gasket that surrounds the glass between the bezel at the top of the phone is not perfectly centered either, I think its pretty much the way these phones are built which from what I read have better quality control then any Pre or Blackberry.

8. Coraline macrumors member

Nope. I have a case and a screen protector. Looks like new.

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Yep, mine is all scratched up on the back from the hard case its in. I ordered a new case, but it hasn't come in yet. I guess the oleophobic coating doesn't protect against scratches.

10. Coraline macrumors member

I thought that was only on the screen.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I baby my phone and when I really think about that, it is crazy I do so.
    Although when I use the iPhone it has no case when I'm not I slip it right back into its leather Marware pouch.

A friend at work shuffles his around on table tops and in his pocket and seriously, if you ever want to know what an iPhone looks like when it is abused, just check out his! The Apple avatar is nearly worn off on the reverse and the black back has a matte, scratched ultra dull appearance.

Surprisingly though the glass is fine and that is all he really cares about.

12. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Mine's got the usual scratches on the logo, but I'm used to that after a few 3Gs. Other than that it's perfect. No case, no protector.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Just a few scratches on the chrome trim even though it's been in a case since I opened the box. That's happened with every iPhone no matter what case it's been in so I'm not too worried.

14. Titan12 macrumors regular

I've had mine in an Incase Slider since day one with a Power Support Anti-glare film on it. I put some generic protector on the back that I cut to size just to protect it from the slider rubbing up against it. I check the case every few days for dust/dirt, and keep it clean. No scratches yet.

15. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

The case I had on my 3GS (Rebel Serpent Black) gave my bezel four little tiny scratches (the "infamous saggy bottom" area). Not noticeable at certain angles but still... BOTTOMLINE: it scratched my phone.

So now I just rock it without a case. It's been 1.5 weeks now and, although slippery at times, feels awesome in the hand! You really get to appreciate its design and form. Wipe the whole phone a few times a week and you're good to go!