Who here has experience with professional printers and printing on site?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Feb 2, 2011.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I am looking at purchasing the new Epson 4900 printer. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this or any other professional Epson printer verses Canon or HP professional printers. Or any feedback about pro's or con's or professionally printing in your studio verses sending out for print jobs?
    Thanks

2. dimme macrumors 65816

It depends on how much you print. If you are going to buy a printer you must also invest in the tools to calibrate you system. (both monitor & printer) I work at a display company and I am lucky to have access to high end printers and other equipment. If I did not work here I would probably use a place like Mpix, and not bother to print at home.

3. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I ran a photo lab for 15 years, and we had Noritsu printers, but the last model I bought (3211) was $130,000 or so. That's what I think of when you mention "professional" printers. :D

I don't know much about desktop printers, but I can tell you all about mini-labs.

4. legreve, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

legreve macrumors regular

legreve

I would recommend the IPF series printers.

While spending a year in London, doing retouch for this guy I also did his portfolio prints. They were all printed on the IPF5100, with custom roll paper from Germany. The results were extremely nice.

The IPF comes with a photoshop plugin, where you can fine tune the colors, should they be off a little. I can honestly say that after a screen calibration, a PS proof check and a fine tune in color, you could hold up the prints next to the screen and they would be as identical as possible with two different types of media.

It doesn't come cheap, but the positive side is that once I got the color right, I hardly threw away any prints. ( I should probably mention also that the screen I used was an Eizo with AG... glossy screens lie about color and contrast big time)

5. JeepGuy macrumors regular

I agree about the IPF5100, but before you plunk down cash I would audition both printers with some of your own shots. one thing of note is the Canon prints blazing fast compared to the epson. I don't own one but have access to one at work.