Who here has gone from MP to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Forget about benchmarks. In real life use how does the top end Quad i7 15" MBP compare to the entry level Quad MP with programs like Aperture & FCP?

2. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I have both and find the processes to run about at the same speed. The biggest problem is obviously the heat management. The MP is very stable and never sees over 50* at full cpu useage while the MBP is usually in the high 90's and the fans are running at 6000+rpm which is very loud. The MBP is not yet a good swap out for someone that needs a powerful workstation that can be pounded on 12+ hours a day. I think the MBP at 90-100* all day would not only get very annoying very quickly but it would also be hard on the machine and all the components near the heat source.

I would absolutely love to be able to ditch a MP and go MBP but its not ready yet:)

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm waiting for my new MBP to arrive today to complete the move. I use it for photography stuff, so I'm pretty sure that the MBP won't be much/any slower than the 8 core 2006 MP I cam from. My biggest concern is the move away from expandability and moving from 4 internal HDDs down to an SSD for boot volume + HDD for home folder + external peripherals.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I did this a couple of years ago. I sold my my MacPro and used a MBP.

I had both and after looking at my situation, I thought it was rather silly to have a MacPro for my usage. I sold it near the price I paid for it, and went over to the MBP.

Storage was the biggest adjustment I had to make, I had a TB of internal storage, which I had to go to external storage on the MBP.

The MBP was slower but for my needs and usage it really wasn't all that noticable. I'm a light occasional PS user, a medium Aperture user and I need to use windows either in bootcamp or vmware so in those situations, I did not see a huge performacne penalty.