Who here has had this happen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by heyyitssusan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

How often has anyone had trouble with USPS tracking? And how long did it take you to receive your package?

This will be my first. I ordered something from Santa Clarita, CA and they used First Class Mail to ship it. They mailed it out on 1/5 and so far today nothing has changed since the last update which was "In transit to the destination." It's been 4 days since the last update and today's Saturday, which means after mail gets delivered today we're going into Monday which is a new week. I called USPS and they said they would file a claim for me and I should get a call in 2/3 days.

I've never had this issue before as I always got my packages, but if this one ends up being lost or it'll be my first one. I know USPS always sucks at updating tracking, but how many of you has this happened to?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

If you're referring to the non-update of tracking, it's happened to me pretty much every year when I send stuff around Christmas time. Sometimes it doesn't get updated until a few days after it's been delivered. It can take them a while to clear up their backlog.

I've also had ridiculously delayed deliveries, such as 2-3 weeks later than expected. Misrouting can occur, and I've watched a package I sent take an unexpected trip to Mobile, Alabama, when it was going to Seattle.

It's also going to depend on where you're located, and what the intervening weather conditions look like. There were some airport shutdowns and highway closures recently, due to rain & snow conditions in several western states. Santa Clarita CA itself might not be directly affected, but all the roads and airports between it and you could well be.

Personally, I wouldn't worry until after 15 Jan (10 calendar days), but my expectations are lower, so YMMV.

3. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh wow, really?! Yeah, I'm in Florida, and I know both Florida and CA don't have snow or any bad weather lately, but you are right about the destination here. But I do feel better now knowing that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I was thinking that since the holidays are over that things would be back to normal but I guess they are still having delays.

4. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

USPS does this to me all the time, they aren't as great in updating their tracking of packages like UPS or FedEx is. I personally add an extra week for packages to be delivered even if they say it's "expedited" when being delivered by USPS. LOL:D

5. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Lol that makes me feel a lot better! For some reason, USPS has been good to me in the past but it seems like this is the only time it's being funky so that's why it's new to me. They should realize it's 2016!! Haha

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for nothing, but I was tracking a package on 2 day priority from the USPS and it was dead on accurate. In fact I went to look at the status yesterday and it said it was delivered on 1:03pm. The funny thing was, I was expecting it yesterday, but when my mail came with no package. I went online to see the disposition. Within those intervening minutes, it was dropped off.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have had no luck whatsoever with USPS tracking. FedEx and UPS are pretty reliable, but in my experience USPS is worthless as far as tracking goes.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Preach to the choir, brotha. I've had packages ship USPS that arrived and their tracking site tells me it's still in transit.:rolleyes: Anything ship USPS, I've stop bothering checking their site, unless it's been 2 weeks.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I pretty much just wait for the thing to show up in the mailbox (or on the back porch). Usually I get priority mail more or less as expected but can rarely track it ahead of time so I don't bother.

I will say that life is a bit more complicated now for USPS since a lot of smaller post offices have been closed. A village may get to keep its zip code but there's no PO in that zip code any more. Then packages sometimes wander between larger regional hubs before someone intervenes and routes them to whichever more local post office holds the carrier contracts for delivery to a zipcode no longer served by a PO. The zipcode problem is sort of poltiical, I guess. No one wants to try forcing the population of little villages to change their address on top of losing their post office. The village post offices used to be the heart of a community, often being located in general stores, which may close after the PO disappears, due to lack of foot traffic.

10. Zenithal macrumors 68040

In the last 2 years of around 82ish orders, I've had better luck with USPS tracking than UPS or FedEx. The latter two seem to update the most on the day of arrival. And by that I mean most of the info, such as leaving the warehouse, being separated, etc.

Amazon through UPS did lose my order once in late 2014. But they quickly sent out a replacement that went through USPS.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

USPS tracking is worthless, but I don't think I've ever had them lose a package or deliver one late.