who here has tiered data and how do you manage it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by utl768, Sep 26, 2011.

1. utl768 macrumors 6502

i currently have a unlimited plan with att with a 3gs but att has really pissed me off lately with removing the cheap text plans ,throttling, and real slow service in some areas

im thinking of switching to verizon and getting the iphone 5 or a droid bionic but im scared about tiered data

ive never since i got my first iphone in september of 2007 have used more then 1.8 gb's of data but since i dont pay the bill my mom does im concerned about going over

is it really hard to keep track of?

i use wifi at home and school but i always play with my phone when im out and about and no wifi

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Get a nice app like Consume and you'll be fine. I assume Verizon sends out warnings at around 65 and 90 percent like ATT does as well.

3. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

I downgraded my unlimited plan for my 3gs on ATT when they announced the new plans. I have 200MB/ month for only $15. im saving 50% so it is well worth it.

I manage by just not using the data all that much. I still use it, but not everyday. ATT sends you a text message when you are 65% done with the data for the month. It helps. I also check my account online to see how I am doing.

4. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

how accurate are those data meters

i have one on my 3gs now (dataman) and it says ive used 8kb this month which is impossible

5. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I haven't tried it myself yet but Onavo has some positive reviews on saving data.

6. calviin macrumors regular

Is there an option to disable internet/3G? This is also a concern for me since I've never had a smartphone before either. I just don't want to pull data through notifications or email or something stupid like that. I don't need the larger plan since I have internet at home, work and school, the places where I spend the majority of my time.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

This there is an option to disable "Cellular Data" but note that also blocks MMS. You should know though that Push Notifications use an insignificant amount of data.

8. mms13 macrumors 6502

I'm on AT&T's 2GB plan, and with what I consider heavy usage, have never been close to going over. I usually check in around 1GB every month. Just get on wifi whenever you can.

I used to have the AT&T unlimited, but my logic was I'll save $5 a month for the 2GB plan, and if by some chance I go over one month it's only a $10 charge...which will likely have paid for itself already from the savings. But I've yet to go over 2GB.

9. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I switched to the 2 GB plan when they were released and the most I've ever used is 1.5 GBs and that's with comfortable usage. I mean I don't stream video all the time, but it's perfect for email, web browsing, etc. Saving $60 a year is great!

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I'm a power user. I average about 8 GB a month. No slow downs or crappy service for me. Ill keep my unlimited.

11. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yeah I'm a power user as well, been averaging 4-5GB of data per month, and I'm still on my (now slow!) 3GS from 2009. When I finally upgrade to the iPhone 5, which will undoubtedly do any and everything FASTER, I'm undoubtedly going to be using even more data. I think I'll keep my unlimited plan on AT&T.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's exactly around my usage. I can't think of ever going to a tiered plan unless they come out with high usage plans. For now ATT has a hold on be with this grandfathered unlimited plan. It's a good thing I have good service.

13. wvphysics macrumors regular

The accuracy isn't the issue, its the timing of the notifications. ATT's system doesn't monitor the usage live, instead it records the data usage and tallies it up usually late at night, but sometimes at random times during the day. So I believe the system wont send the notification until it is tallied, so I have seen many posts where people will blow past the 60% and 90% marks in one day and then receive the both warnings the next day. So the warnings are accurate, but delayed. Having your own app that will send you timely alerts will be much better.

14. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

My rss alone usually does 1.5gs, not sure how you guys do it...

15. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

16. wvphysics macrumors regular

Yes, because a person should never attempt to be responsible with their bills and money, especially if someone else is paying, right?

17. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

You obviously read way too far into what I said lol