who here has went from a G5 to mac pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Mar 30, 2009.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

HOw did u feela bout your purchase are you happy about it. After long wanting a mac book pro . I may just buckle down and upgrade to a mac pro from a dual 1.8.G5 with 4 gigs of ram.

How happy are you with ur purchase and how much difference did you notice in performance...

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I went from iMac G5 2.1 to the base Quad but with 8GB Ram and ATI graphics.

I'd say it was only a slight increase in speed:p

Seriously these machines are huge increase in performance over the G5 systems. You'll notice a massive benefit. You should look around for some benchmarks that compare the G5 to the Pro.

We have Dual 2.0 G5s at work and no one uses them. It's faster to wait till the intel Macs are free.

What sort of things are you going to be doing?

3. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using logic studio and a ton of vsts that are choking my current G5 system. Soon as I wanna use a few tracks of Kontakt 3 you see the cpu meter jump up.

Plus i like to rip dvds to mp4 format so i can watch them on my iphone at work.... It's takes a day to do a regular dvd. I am in need of speed... and im also running out of hard drive space on my audio and main drive...

4. nxent macrumors 6502

i went from a dual 1.8 G5 with 2Gb Ram to the dual core 2.5 macbook pro w/ 2 Gb ram (having since upgraded to 4Gb) and the mbp edges out the tower in every aspect. i was thoroughly impressed. Whereas games on the power mac G5 i had to run with medium settings, i run at max with the macbook pro. and this isn't just terms of gaming, but everyday apps like itunes and iphoto where the scrolling on the macbook pro is significiantly faster than the G5. I can only imagine how much faster the MacPro towers are...

5. survivor macrumors newbie

I've been using the G5 Quad just today ordered my new 8-core 2.93 MAc Pro which I can't wait to get it! I have alot of projects to work on but when i placed my order I don't feel like working on my current baby (G5) i am waiting for my new born baby :cool: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah all my time i spend with Adobe and FCT i've already made the setup for my new born baby come out baby come out and you will be in here :)
    I honestly wanna test the performnce in real its true i've seen alot of differences in the benchmarks but you know guys when it comes to real world frame its totally different than just online image shows benchmarks :)

:)

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I killed my Dual 2 G5 on accident and wound up with a Quad 2.66, super boost of speed. Nowadays we're talking 8 core Mac Pro's, so it's exponentially faster for you.

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I will end up buying a Pro if Apple does not fill the Infamous Gaping Lineup Hole.
    :mad:
    I suppose I could go the Hackintosh route.
    :D

8. Beamengine macrumors newbie

I went from a dual 1.8GHz / 1GB RAM MP to a Nehalem quad core 2.67GHz / 8GB RAM / ATI card machine.

The difference is jaw dropping. I use large RAW files in Aperture and everything is 'instantaneous'.

Plus it's running a 30" and 23 " monitor...

I'm absolutely delighted... thrilled even.

Expensive, but worth every penny. Actually, not even that expensive. It will last me for at least four years and as a 'pro' I get half back on VAT/income tax.

Go for it!

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I am going from a PC and also using a dual 1ghz G4 to a new mac pro 8x2.8 or 4x2.8.

Got both, need to decide which one to keep. For my needs the quad will work, but its out of warranty and I got each for a great deal.

I am expecting to get rid of all pc's with this purchase.

10. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Hehe, is this a serious question?

I´m using a G5 dual 1.8 with 4GB RAM for CS3 tasks, both print and Flash. It still works wonderful apart from Flash playback performance, which is embarrassing. At home is a 2007 iMac 2.16 C2D with 3GB RAM which puts the G5 to shame at any task I´ve thrown at it, although disk swapping is more apparent due to the lower RAM specs.

Two guys at the office have dual quad 2.8 MacPros with 16GB RAM, and the speed in comparison to the G5 is truly amazing. I recently did a series of 3D animation sequences that choked the G5. The MacPros rendered at 10x-15x the speed of the G5 and I were still able to keep working in the CS3 apps as if nothing else was taxing the system. And it was pretty cool seeing close to 800% CPU usage for one process when left rendering only :)

11. California macrumors 68040

California

On the other hand going from the top of the line Quad G5 doesn't show that dramatic of an improvement.

I went from a single 1.8 to the Quad Powermac G5 and was amazed at the speed boost.

I need a fast PPC machine for legacy reasons.