Who here is also thrilled they went thicker and heavier with X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by H. Flower, Nov 6, 2017.

1. H. Flower macrumors 6502

This phone feels like a PREMIUM device (especially with a silicon or leather case on), not the crappy lightweight aluminum surfboards we've been getting for past few years.

Apple: thinner/lighter isn't ALWAYS better!

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

It's a great size now. honestly over the 6, it feels great with or without a case. it's also not slippery like my previous 6 without a case. love it.

3. chicagofan00 macrumors regular

I have no complaints with the weight or dimensions of the X. In fact, I actually much prefer the dimensions of the X after having had a Plus model the last few years.

4. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I like the size/weight a lot. Feels solid, but not too heavy.

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Feels similar to the iPhone 4, compact but has heft.

6. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i prefered the iphone 7 size/weight/thickness, tbh.

but i'm in love with the X screen, so i can't go back.

7. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

Yup very happy with it. There's a fine line when it comes to weight. Too heavy, feels clunky. Too light, feels cheap. The right amount of weight with solid materials is a win, and Apple got it done right in this case.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree the iPhone X is a very well-made device. But I strongly disagree with you that 7000 series aluminum is "Crappy". In terms of durability and resistance, the aluminum is excellent and also helps with weight reduction of a larger phone like the iPhone 7 Plus.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I was never a fan of how thing Apple keeps trying to go. Why? Because they sacrificed function to do it. I don't care about a few millimeters. How many would be okay with adding 2 millimeters of thickness for a headphone jack? I'm betting the majority. Thin isn't always better.

Design should be dictated by usability, not the other way around.

10. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

They see wireless headphones/earbuds as the future. To be honest, I agree. Unless you are some audiophile who needs to use their special wired headphones, wireless headphones do the job without that annoying wire in the way. The price difference between the 2 has come down significantly in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised if wired headphones are eventually phased out except for high end audiophiles and low end 99 cent headphone option.

11. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I have no complaints. I like the weight. If I am paying $1500 CAD for a phone I want to feel my money. :D

Reminds me of my 4, but bigger, obviously. Though I never had a 6/7 I also did not have any issue with their build though either. Aluminum casing is not bad, just different...and a little more durable when it comes to accidental drops (as my 5s shows).
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    I agree. The pros of convenience for me of wireless headphones outweigh the better sound of wired ones...for my purposes and usage. But I understand why others prefer wired.

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I’m in the “still too small” camp. I want a Plus sized version of the X.

That said, the current X is really great in terms of size, thickness and solidity. In my opinion this iPhone is more like a giant Apple Watch than it is an evolution of the iPhone 6/7/8. To me it represents the first fully Cook/Ive phone. They say this is the platform from which grows the next 10 years of iPhone development. Makes sense. I fully expect the line to expand into Plus sizes. While maintaining the same dense, solid package.

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I wish it was lighter. Long use can cause fatigue to hand/ arm/ neck.

14. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

Wow, I think you should start working out, or using your phone in a more controlled manner. The weight of the phone has absolutely nothing to do with the symptoms you've mentioned. We're talking about an extra few grams of weight here....

15. Maui19 macrumors regular

I would prefer a little lighter and thinner. It feels like a pretty good sized lump in my pocket.

16. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

So it’s a little heavier and thicker, but still has a larger camera bump then the iPhone 8 plus. Interesting