Who here likes Mac AND Linux?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, Apr 13, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

It's hard to find people who like the simplicity of OS X, and the advanced-ness of Linux.

Who here uses both OS X and Linux and likes them both?

I for one like both.

I'm not a fan of the Xserve with OS X Server because I think its stupid to have a GUI on a server. It couldn't hold a candle to a nice Xeon custom build with Debian.

I do prefer OS X as a desktop OS though. Repos are nice though.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I like Linux, I'm no power user but I "get it". I have no need for a Linux machine though.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Same here. If it had a more compelling emulator library, I might throw an install on my macbook.

4. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I consider myself a Linux power user (I like compiling from source), but I like OS X and I don't mind paying Apple Tax on their products.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I am a OS X and a FreeBSD fan. Not because os x is based on BSD. I run freebsd at home which i have setup to be my firewall, mail / spam filter. I don''t like KDE or Gnome.

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I like linux but only on PCs. I like Mac OS X on my Macs.

7. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I liked KDE until they ruined it with 4.0.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I never liked KDE - Having said that why would you run a GUI on a server when it could potentially be exploited?

9. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I said I wouldn't.

10. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I love unix!

OS-X is the no 1 reason I turned to mac in a serious capacity. Pre OS-X the option of doing things on a mac in my way/in a "complicated" manor simply was not there. With OS-X I am in control an the mac has a real operating system. What is not to like?

However I am comfortable with pretty much anything in computers (given a quick briefing) and can understand some people are not. OS-X gives such people what they need as well. You do not have to go deeper unless you want to. It's the best of both worlds.

The above means I never took mac seriously until OS-X. I however did not ignore it. I have used debian on 68k macs! I used debian on my server currently (but am unhappy with it, and might switch to a BSD).

I seriously believe that if windows is to survive they must do what apple has done. Ditch the old os and go with unix. Yes they would have to provide a compatability layer as apple did, but it would work. it is obvious from blogs and talk that people in microsoft believe this too. However, wheather they will be listened to is subject for debate.

Only thing I would like apple to do is give me a real 3 button mouse (or 2 and a scroll wheel/button), especially on the laptops (but yeah who uses a trackpad seriously, you plug in a mouse for real work (in my case usually a microsoft mouse (the basic one, they are nice!)))

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I like both, but I have to admit I haven't used Linux in a while, so my skills are getting rusty. I keep saying I'm going to turn this old PC into a Linux box, but I've been lazy. I have actually been considering turning my laptop from work into a linux box, and running my XP install on a VM.

As Carrot007 said, I always considered Mac OS somewhat of a toy until they switched to the BSD base. I was a big BSD and Solaris fan, so I decided to check it out. To me, OSX is what Linux should be. It has the security and stability of Unix, with a great GUI.

12. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I actually really like the Awesome X11 window manager. The way it tiles everything is very nice. I'd argue that it has a UI of comparable quality to OS X's.

Unfortunately, the applications and the consistency between them is not as nice. If only you could switch window managers in OS X...

13. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

yeah thats how i feel. so i moved back to ubuntu but now im running xfce with xubuntu

14. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I like linux at times, it's nice, light, fast, free and most importantly FREE.

But I really like OS X, so much so that it annoys me to use windows machines (I've had my mac since December 2008)

15. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I used Xubuntu one summer and I almost lost it.

Linux is great for those who "get it", but there's no way it's ready for mainstream. I couldn't stand entering command lines to do simple stuff like change the screen resolution, or to download programs.

It almost made me wish I had windows installed on the computer.... SACRILEGE!

16. kahlil88 macrumors member

kahlil88

I primarily run a GNU/Linux operating system. Mac OS X is pretty cool, and I like that it's built on top of FreeBSD (another Unix-like OS), but it's not quite as flexible as GNU/Linux operating systems. Definitely better than stupid Windoze :p

17. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Run a mixed Mac and Linux home i have 3 servers on SUSE Server that for the £1200 i payed for all 3 of them i have got 12 processing cores and 24GB Ram.
    2 Macbooks, 1 iBook and a Mini all run Mac OS and it's great that i can ssh into any of the servers from the Mac OS terminal.

Though the future plan is to replace the SUSE servers with 3-4 Xserves once Intel are on 6 or 8 core CPU's if that does not happen in the next 3 years they will be replaced with Xserves available at the time that will most likely run Mac OSX Server or SUSE.

Using Gnome as windowing manager i have always liked it over KDE as i find KDE to be slow and clunky.

18. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Yep here. I run OSX only on my Macs, but have Linux on the server (and Solaris also), keeping that 'other' OS only on one PC surrounded by a forcefield and used for gaming only.

Linux is wonderful for my needs so I like it. It is flexible for me and between Mac and Linux I can do pretty much anything I want on my computers :)

19. gozu macrumors newbie

linux for servers, macos for desktop is how i roll.

i dont think linux will ever be any good for desktop. the desktop needs consistancy, i dont see this ever happening as long as there is both qt and gtk.

20. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I like both a OS X and Linux, and I consider myself a power user in both. But hey, I like Solaris too. And I might even like Windows 7; from what I hear about it, it is shaping up to be a fairly good product. :D

Why is it stupid to have a GUI on a server? I guess it is fine to have only a command line if you have expert admins who know the ins and outs of the said system; but if you don't, a GUI system that works out of the box can be quite useful. That said, you will get better price/performance in the PC world, so it does make more sense to go Linux for a server.

How is a GUI more exploitable than a command line? If an intruder has local access to your system, they can exploit it whether it is GUI or CLI based. And if they have only remote access, then GUI or CLI doesn't matter; it is the network services configured on the system that matter.

You can compile from source on any OS. Nothing Linux specific about that.

21. gozu macrumors newbie

sorry i had to reply to this, GTK has been horribly slow since 2.x. QT is faster by a million miles?

22. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

I love both Linux and Mac. OS X is great for my Macs and my 1 hackintosh, and I try to run Linux on the rest. My only bug with linux is that I always end up typing some command wrong and screwing up the graphics drivers. :eek:

Other than that though, I really do think Linux is a much better alternative to Windows for those who understand how it works and know how to use it.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I've been using Linux for network servers since 1995. OS X on desktops and Linux on servers is a fantastic combination for my needs...

24. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I first tried Slackware Linux on the desktop (replacing DOS/Win 3.1) back in about 1993. It took me awhile to learn the arcane commands (almost giving up on it once or twice), but I stuck with it, and have since used Slackware on and off up until about a year ago.

Now I kinda prefer Ubuntu - it's a little more friendly (and boots directly into X, unlike Slack.)

So I have a VMWare Ubuntu session set up and I go into it about twice a week. (Who needs full-time Linux when my main OS (OS X) is based on UNIX already? :)

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I like both. Mac OS X gives me most of what I want from the GUI, and the few things it doesn't I can do from the command line. Linux has that brilliant package manager concept, which makes acquiring and installing software very simple, as well as some CLI stuff you won't find on Mac OS X (for example, the /proc virtual directory, which you can use to query the OS about its hardware).