Who here lives in the smallest town?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

My town - 2700 registered voters, 4000+ home owners, dependents, renters of which 60% percent of home owners are absentee (Japan, Middle East, Central Valley CA, other areas).

Acutal Population, humans: approx. 1,800
    Acutal Population, dogs and cats: more
    Full time police force: Chief, Bldg. Sup.-Cdr, 2 beat cops, 2 bike cops, 2 meter maids, 1 receptionist, interns
    Library: rarely open
    Biggest complaint to police in police log: barking dogs
    Size: 1.1 sq. miles
    Gas stations: 2
    Stop Lights: 0
    Escalators: 2, and it took years of fighting at city hall to get these
    Elevators: 1
    Residents who can join Jeff Foxworthy on tour: 80%

Attached Files:

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've always wanted to live in a smaller city, but what you're describing sounds REALLY small. Do you have a larger city somewhere near by? Not that you necessarily need it, but the services and the store variety offered by a larger city would be something that I would want. Another aspect of this whole thing relates to employment opportunities....

Like with everything, it all has its cons and pros. :)

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Do you feel that you have privacy? Or is everyone in your business?

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm curious where one would find escalators in a town of 1,800!

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I currently live in a town about that size. But I lived for a year in another town (which a fair amount of my relatives live in) which today according to the internet has a population of roughly 700.

There is an elementary school, gas station, bank, funeral home, vet, barber shop, 2 restaurants/pubs, a grain factory (I think) and a church. I think that's it. It's approximately 9 blocks by 4 blocks. I think a lot of the people born and raised there knew each other but for the year I lived there I didn't feel spied upon or anything. I'm sure if it would be trivial to get to know everybody between the pub and church. :p

There are no stop lights, very few stop signs, no police force (I think the state police respond), and a volunteer fire department. No escalators or elevators that I know of.... oh yeah there is a post office. Nobody gets mail at home.

6. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I don't live in a city at all. If I go outside, I can see one roof from another house, but I really have to look.

I could easily walk around naked in my yard and nobody ever know.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My city has a population of 27,709 according to the 2008 Census Estimate.

12.4 square miles of land.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I live in a small village with approx 350 people. We do not have streetlights, nor do we have gas. The nightlife is non-existant.
    :D

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I grew up in a town of 22,000 people, my gf by contrast grew up in a city of nearly 9million!

But 2,000.. that's hellishly small, not sure I could hack living in a small town again. I moved away as soon as I could..

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

My city has zero privacy. Small towns suck that way.

The biggest city within twenty minutes drive in any direction does have 29,500 people and is the place for nightlife. There are four or five clubs, a junior college, two graduate schools, an army base, and several movie theaters. There is a bowling alley, stoplights, car rental places, and a skatepark. Neon signs light the streets and are legal where they are banned everywhere else nearby. While not impressive by most of you here, it's a life saver to have something bordering on urban nearby. About forty minutes away is a very large city of over 150,000 people and there is some serious industry there and if it were not for the recession, was slated to be another high tech center with plans and space to quadruple in size.

Employment opportunities are almost non-existent unless you have a specialization like being an MD, dentist, accountant, or vet. Too many lawyers so many here don't get much work. Building has become non lucrative so architects and contractors are suffering. The trades, if related to housing, are also hurting. Tourism is OK, but the big box stores have moved in like an invading army, and online shopping has not helped the once prosperous merchants. Tourists who come here eat, but don't shop here unless they hit a Costco or Wal-Mart.

Many San Jose and Texas high tech outfits, sick of higher rents and corporate taxes up the ying yang opted to move to the Northeast instead of here. That region of the country gave the high tech giants a better sweetheart deal.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I live in a small town called New York City dont know if you guys have heard of it :D population is a mere 8,363,710 people

12. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Do you guys who live in small towns have a bunch of friends? Living in LA, we all know a ton of people. But as far as actual friends goes, not many have more than a few. Students are the exception. For example, I've lived in North Hollywood, CA for 10 years with my GF. We know none of our neighbors. I really don't want to though. It's funny. A girl I know from Bakersfield (pop: 30,000) has a lot of friends there - then she moved here and knows only her work colleagues.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I don't have any friends anymore since moving to the city. I was a popular kid with a busy social schedule until around 20-21 then it sort of died off after moving through 3 large cities. At 29 now I really have no buddies anymore that I'd want to call up for a chat. Only time I hang out with other people are when the gf's friends are over for dinner or something else.

Just don't trust people I meet in the city enough, they're different to people I grew up with.

14. iowamensan macrumors 6502

About 700 people.. a school, two restaurants, a gas station, and a bar. Few other businesses scattered about. No stoplights, no cops, a volunteer fire department, and a 4-way stop.

Quiet.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

The population of the town where I grew up was under 1,900. Small and petty-minded.

Biggest complaint, for me, would have been the riff raff living on government checks that are perfectly fit to work; the ones that have at least 7 children all by different fathers, abuse their animals, etc etc. We lived next to a rental property and it got pretty sickening...

No Escalators.

One Library.

Three gas stations.

At one point, four bars.

2 stop lights. It sits near two major interstates.

That can be either a blessing or a curse. My bedroom window, growing up, was directly opposite the bedroom window of our neighbours' somewhat hot daughter... blessing? curse? :D

16. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I currently live in mexico city, about 25 million people.

I would love to move to a smaller town, but my current job makes it impossible.

Someday... I bet it must be difficult to adjust, but small town life sounds really peaceful !

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

An "Escalator to Nowhere". The next town election will certainly be interesting. ;)

18. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Stockport has about 130,000 people living here. Not as many as some cities, but a hell of a lot more than some places in this thread. Hard to imagine more/less.

19. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I grew up in a town of 401, and shortly before I moved, I worked in a town of 89 near there. Now I live in a town of about 20k.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Medium size can be nice

21. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

[​IMG]

We have no police station.
    No fire station.
    We have 5 shops- an off-license, tanning studio, fish shop, carpet shop and 2x hairdressers.
    1 chippie.
    4 pubs.
    No library.
    1 post office.
    Lots of greenery, sheep, horses, cows, chickens and water.
    3 schools.
    2mbps max broadband (50mbps once BT install that super cool new internet thing).
    Great phone and TV signal.
    Every year we have a mass beer walk for charity where people dress up and walk around the villages getting sloshed. It's famous too, just Googling "beer walk" has us at the top.
    And we have a morris men festival too. We're a bit odd.

However historically our house sits on an old hamlet that had its own name. So in a way 5 people live in our village ;).

23. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I grew up in Orange County, a surburb of Los Angeles...

[​IMG]

I currently live here, population 3800 and change. The library is open only three days a week, but it's connected to half the counties in California. I don't think there's an escalator anywhere in town. We do have a courthouse, with a county sheriff's precinct next door. We also have a fire station and an ambulance station, though no hospital (there is a small clinic). We have a Mexican restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a roadhouse and a cafe. Thank heaven there's a Stater Brothers in town.

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ I love that airport. Back in my younger days, when you could still get away with it, I used to walk around the boneyard there.

25. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

aerial view

I didn't think of posting an aerial view, but here's my town and the two neighboring towns to the left and to the right. Not a lot of buildings and only one structure which is three stories high which is ironically the small shopping mall (the one with the escalator) that was unable to get any stores rented up there. But the view from a third floor when there are mostly one story buildings is amazing. :)

Attached Files: