Who here ordered a Nexus One?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upsguy27, Jan 6, 2010.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Just wondering, who here ordered a Nexus One? I did the minute the website went live yesterday. It was shipped and is arriving a 3 P.M. today! I can't wait. This'll be my first non-iPhone since September 2007.

Anybody else order one? Which version did you get, locked or unlocked? Did you engrave it?

EDIT: My Nexus One review.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Nope, I'm waiting on the Sony Ericsson Rachael (X10) and my contract with AT7T to run out so I can hop on a friends family plan for cheap voice/data every month.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I would order one of it supported AT&T's 3G bands.

Hopefully Google will come to their senses and add 850/1900 support. They'll have to if they plan on selling it in Canada.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No way! I'm waiting til March for the iTablet so I can not order that one too.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Besides the fact that it has no multi-touch, the second thing I do not understand is why they are making a big deal of selling it unlocked, without contract, and yet they did not decide to give it multi-band UMTS/HSPA ability to handle both T-Mobile USA's 3G network and the 3G networks of AT&T and the popular European carriers. This makes no sense to me.

I think, from what I've heard so far, had I not left T-Mobile, after some six years, about a month before the Nexus One came out, I still would not have ordered one. Not that there are not attractive things about it.

I'll be excited to hear upsguy27 and others here post their own reviews, though.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Eh, no multitouch doesn't bother me.

AFAIK, it does have bands to support other 3G carriers in the world. I believe AT&T and Rogers are the only carriers that use 850/1900 UMTS. But I guess Europe is where the unlocked appeal comes from, since it will work on just about any carrier over there. In the US it's not as big of a deal since T-Mobile is the only carrier you can really use it on (unless you want EDGE on AT&T, but it seems extremely stupid to buy an expensive phone like the N1 and not have 3G)

T-Mobile may have wanted Google to not include AT&T support, but if Google has plans to sell the phone in Canada, they'll have to include those bands. Now, what remains to be seen is if Google does sell it in Canada, will they sell it unlocked or is Rogers going to force them to lock it and require a contract? Canadian carriers (especially Rogers from what I hear) are generally worse than US ones when it comes to things like that.

7. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Let us know what you think :D

Here in the UK we don't get the opportunity until spring :)

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It works on the European 3G networks, it's just the funny North American ones where it struggles.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I always thought that T-Mobile was the funny North American 3G network. So it works on the US T-Mobile network and most European 3G networks, but not on US AT&T 3G or Canadian 3G?

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

T-Mobile is the funny NA 3G network, on the 1700/2100 bands that no one else uses.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3G is on the 2100 band in the UK.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what is keeping me from even considering it.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Then why doesn't the iPhone support T-Mobile's 3G network, but works fine with the rest of the world's 3G networks?

As for the Nexus One, personally I'd go for the Droid. Looks better (in my opinion), supports multi-touch, will get Android 2.1 shortly.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

T-Mobile's 3G in the US is weird. Theirs is a hybrid, called AWS. It uses both 1700 and 2100 simultaneously, one is for upstream, one is for downstream. Having just 1700 or 2100 on your phone is not enough, it has to have both. I'm also not 100% sure if a T-Mobile phone that just does 1700/2100 AWS would work in the UK, I think it must support AWS plus 'regular' 2100, which the N1 does.

Other carriers may use two bands for their 3G coverage, but both of them are not required. AT&T uses 850 and 1900, but they work independently of each other. Some areas just have 850, some have just 1900, and some have both, but your phone won't be using both simultaneously, if there's both 850 and 1900 where you are, your phone will use whichever one has a stronger signal. T-Mobile's AWS is the only one that requires both bands to operate.

So that's why the iPhone, and hundreds of other UMTS phones that support the European 2100 band don't work on T-Mobile's 3G network in the US.

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Does a multi-band chipset that supports UMTS/HSPA on all six frequencies even exist? Paging kdarling...

17. jpxdude macrumors member

Just wanted to clarify that the Nexus One is multitouch capable, and has been demonstrated with the dolphin browser on a dev unit, google has just chosen not to do so yet on their browser, keyboard and maps but it can be coded.

18. Frisco macrumors 68020

I guess they cautious of being sued by Apple.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Australia and NZ both use 850. The Nexus One is unusable on my current carrier.

Like XNine, I'm going to take a good look at the SE Rachael, which is an 850 device.

20. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Ditto. No 850MHz 3G==no go for me.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not me. It's just a iPhone-wannabe of the month, which goes back all the way back to 2007.

FYI Android as a company has existed for over half a decade, and has the same problems as Linux.

Some A-GPS devices lack standalone GPS capability. Nexus One lists only Cell tower and Wi-Fi positioning.

Android devices have never gotten major upgrades.

For example, 2 year old Android are stuck at 2 year old 1.x software.
    Droid is stuck with 2.0 at this time.
    Only Nexus has 2.1.

Other companies are still making Android 1.x only phones.
    Good luck updating...

22. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Well, the Nexus One just came. In fact, I'm typing on it right now. So far, it looks amazing. Insanely responsive, beautiful screen, and great to hold in the hand. I'll post a full review later.

23. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I would get the verizon one this spring if I didn't get the droid a couple of months ago. Now the only way I'll be willing to pay the ETF is if a Verizon iphone comes. :rolleyes:

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I want so bad. *sigh* but I already have an iPhone 3G so... not really worth ordering up one from the US of A.

25. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm looking forward to reading your review.

I'm really close to jumping ship.