Who here recycles?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jal97jal, Oct 3, 2011.

?

Do you recycle?

1. Yes.

62 vote(s)
    95.4%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    My community doesn't have many recycling options, but we do have the ability to recycle water, which I take full advantage of.

2. n8236 macrumors 65816

I'm a San Franciscan, so I recycle every bit I can. That's y we are one of the leaders of recycling in the nation :)

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes, the council collects three different bins each week. Blue for 'dry' recycling, green for 'wet' recycling and black for the rest. The actual systems vary across the UK, but I don't know a single council that doesn't pick up recycling as part of their regular collections. Travelling to a recycling centre would seem very 20th century to me!

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Here in the Netherlands is so normal to recycle. We have separate collections of , Paper, Glass, Plastic, Household chemicals. In every town there is a recycle collection point for large items (think of refrigerators/old computers).

I would put this way here you would be in the minority if you didn't recycle.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Yep, most built up areas here in New South Wales, Australia have:

1) Recycling (Yellow bin)
    2) Grass clippings / organic waste (Green bin)
    3) General waste (Red bin)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yeah, but in the UK the government/council pretty much do it for you. Just put stuff in different bins and put them out on the correct days.

Before that we used to separate things and drop them off in the recycling bins in Tesco.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The only reason I do recycle is because my community makes it dead simple : Throw everything that's "recyclable" into the blue bin. I'm not cleaning and sorting trash, so as long as it stays dead simple, I'm going to do it.

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I do, but my town doesn't have any sort of universal trash/recycle pickup without an extra cost. For trash my landlord found it cheaper to just rent a dumpster so I use that, and for recycling my dad makes regular trips to the recycling center so we just pool our stuff together.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

We recycle bottles/cans but nothing else. It's hard to motivate yourself when your town burns trash and so they just burn most of that stuff and offer no recycling programs...

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I separate them into paper or others but the recycling truck people just dump them in the same place.

Some desert locations do:

Sink water -> shower water -> toilet water -> grass water
    Filtered and treated at each step of course

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is pretty much how I do it as well.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Our building (42 condo units) has 6 blue bins, 2 each for paper, cardboard, and plastic/glass/tins.

Some people are inherently lazy, but it is improving.

Especially when we find addressed envelopes in the wrong bin. ;)

13. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

If I'm broke, and I need some cash, then yes, I recycle.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes. But in our small community we don't have pickup, so we drive our stuff to the recycle centre and toss our stuff into various bins. I love the glass bin....

Here's a quick tip on how to get rid of large items (like furniture). Put it curbside (or kerbside) overnight with a price written on piece of cardboard. Unless you live in a very honest neighbourhood, it'll be gone by morning. Works better than writing "Free" on the cardboard.... :)

15. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Another recycler here. There are collection points pretty much everywhere around here. We're all pretty cool aren't we? I mean, I'm amazing. I recycle, I must have planted 60 trees in my garden in the last five years, I don't allow the hunt onto my land, I'm vegan, I rescue stray cats and feed the wild ones. I give money to Water Aid, Greenpeace & Amnesty International. You're amazing, I'm amazing! ;):D

16. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I only recycle the newspaper that are leftover from my delivering (quite a bit, really). We throw them in the large dumpster (usually at a grocery or school), where the paper will be eventually sold to a newspaper company in Canada.

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The green bin gets picked up every Monday. Everything glass, metal, cardboard, and plastic goes into it, everything else goes in the trash. I'm not sure wh, but our city won't take paper in the recycling bin. :confused:

18. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I do. We have different bins for different types of waste. Recyclable stuff is put in one bin, while non-recyclable stuff is put in the other. It's one of those things that I've been doing for so long, it's second nature.

19. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Recycle all that we can... cardboard, glass, tin cans, Aluminum, paper. Put all in large cardboard boxes in our garage, load boxes into van, take it all to the collection center ~5 miles in town. A heck of a lot less stuff going into landfills, and ability to actually save material. Helped at work to set up recycle plan for cardboard & paper. :cool:

20. DewGuy1999, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

We have curbside recycling for Paper, Glass/Tin and Yard Waste. Yard Waste is every week during the growing season. Paper, Glass/Tin is year round and alternates weekly pickups. Before we had curbside pickup for Paper, Glass/Tin we used to take it to the collection point. I've also taken old oil to Advance Auto Parts and florescent bulbs to Menards for recycling. When enough accumulate we take our plastic shopping bags back to the store for recycling. In the near future I plan on taking some old electronics and household electrics to Goodwill for electronic recycling.

21. mgartner0622, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

In suburban Denver, CO they have all sorts of the usual programs for recycling Glass, Paper, ect.
    In the cities outlying Denver however, recycling is not very common depending on which trash company you have. I have a company that purchased my contract from Waste Management, and they actually charge their customers to recycle. Not only are there additional monthly fees of around $3, you also have to purchase a specialized recycling bin from the company for $65. Call me evil, but I can't really justify paying extra, even if it does help the environment.
    This is why I voted no.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wish I could but the stupid trash people had a recycling bin NOT labeled as such so they got mad when people from the apartment building threw trash in it and took it away.

Our landlord is trying to get it back but has been unsuccessful. IMO it should be law to have recycling.

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

We have tiny trash bins and huge recycling and organic (separate) bins, so yes I do, but sometimes I get lazy and throw food scraps in the trash :)

24. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I'm a trash person. (pun intended) The organic bin would have had a colour coded lid. Recycling is a bit of a joke in my opinion. It's going to take a lot more than reusable shopping bags and recycling to halt environmental degradation.

We use about 200 litres of diesel and $1500.00 in wages to collect about 15 tonnes of green waste. It seems like a waste of resources when ideally people should be recycling green waste in their own yards.