Who here uses Pandora or Tuner over EDGE or 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're streaming or downloading music or video over EDGE or 3G, you're violating your AT&T Terms. I wonder how YouTube works then?

Click this: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone-terms.jsp

The following is directly from the iPhone terms and conditions for AT&T:

"UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE."

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I gotta be honest ...

Even as a Canadian (with our ass-tastic cellular situation), AT&T sounds like utter garbage.

3. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

As you are paying AT&T for all of your usage, I just don't see how they can restrict what KIND of content you "stream" into your iPhone, as long as you're not going over their limits. That clause you quoted looks like it should be coming from a Chinese or Russian company, and is probably not enforceable.

This is typical of the telecomms in the US. They can break the law and get immunity, and now feel they can dictate what kind of data you allow to come into your iPhone.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I guess they want people using the internet in "bursts", and not in gentle steady trickles.

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Well by that argument the Apple YouTube app, itunes app, and the App Store would all violate the TOS. All either upload/download or stream music, audio and games in some way.

I have a feeling they won't enforce or there is a clause for the iphone somewhere that you are missing.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It works because AT&T doesn't actually care.

This is typical lawyer contract writing. Prohibit EVERYTHING, and then only go after the things you care about.

Your grocery store probably has a legal sign up somewhere that they're allowed to throw you out if you've been in the store more than 15 minutes. WILL they ever do that to you? No. But if some weird guy is annoying customers and they want to toss him out...bingo, they have a nice, legal excuse waiting without having to worry about a lawsuit.

Same thing here. AT&T doesn't care if you watch YouTube. They just want the RIGHT to object to it later if they don't like you for some reason.

Stupid? No doubt. But it doesn't mean they care about stopping YouTube on their phones. It's just standard blanket-coverage.

(Actually, I'm sure that's old language they just never changed. At this point you could argue that they sold you a phone with a YouTube app on it, so you should be able to watch YouTube, and you'd probably win. But my explanation is how that language ORIGINALLY got put in AT&T contracts. After that, they won't change it until they're forced to.)

7. cantankerously macrumors regular

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No kidding!

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this argument was beaten to death on the whole netshare thread lol fyi

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

iTunes Store requires a wifi connection by the way.

11. cenetti macrumors 6502

HAHAH...well, my answer is in the other thread....

Well, Simplify Media now available in the store.... go check it out, see what it does....
    :D:D:D:D

12. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Good thing I listen mostly to talk stations on Tuner!

13. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

well i'm on t-mobile so i'm going to continue to stream away
    at&t can lick my batteries

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, excuse me. I'm so sorry my opinion offended you.

Why it did, I haven't a clue, since you declined to give your opinion.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

TVersity does this as well.

Still waiting on a 'real' version of ORB though, to be honest.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no need to get bitter.....

i just pointed out the whole att contract and its points were brought to verbatim with the netshare app. so instead of being hostile, i recommended a thread for you to look at. some people:rolleyes:

edit: and you apparently changed your post during the time i read it and when i quoted it which referred to me "sliming around here" and something about reading all threads....

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I was referring more to the guy that told me to "shut the f*** up" without any other information, not to you.

EDIT: Yes, my fault. I had quoted both of you at first, posted, and then realized you didn't say anything mean and removed your quote. Sorry you saw it in those 10 seconds. I didn't mean to include you.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

nt

The issue of netshare is a completely different part of the contract which is related to tethering your device which is quite clearly a supplemental plan with smartphones that costs $30/month.

I, for one, am also curious about the contradictions between the contract and officially supported uses of wireless data on the iPhone. I am not very concerned, but even if all you do is flip to the last page and sign, it is a legal contract. Seems like AT&T needs to review the terms of use (which they can change without any notice to you, by the way, as you were made aware of and agreed to by signing the contract).

19. dancavallaro macrumors regular

You neglected to quote the sentence RIGHT BEFORE the one you quoted. That paragraph actually reads:

So as long as the content conforms to some standards that AT&T has (probably regarding bitrate), streaming content does not violate your TOS.

20. wronski macrumors 6502

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What exactly are AT&T's content standards? Does that mean anything provided on the AppStore is good to use over EDGE and 3G?

22. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

I wouldn't stream anything... Or use NetShare... Or would I ... Muawhahaha...

:cool:

23. wronski macrumors 6502

Saying "content standards" just allows them to have an excuse to terminate someone if they turn out to be doing something new and sneaky that uses 15GB of their bandwidth every month. It doesn't matter what it means because they'll never find out/actually care that you're streaming music using Tuner, or Last.FM, or YouTube, or anything else.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know...

i was saying that the points of wirelessly streaming music and videos and such was brought up in that netshare thread becasue they too violated the contract. with that logic, you could argue that netshare is ok as all the other apps are apple sponsored