Who here uses solar or wind power?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by montanachad, Jul 7, 2008.

1. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

[​IMG]

I use solar in the backwoods of Montana. Anybody else here harvest the sun or wind?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Nope, but I got a buddy who just landed a job making big $$$ (well decent at least) layin' concrete bases for wind silos in Kansas... :)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not yet, but when I move out and build a house it'll likely use both solar and wind generators (it's either one of the other where I live!). My cousins in Bavaria have them and their awesomeness makes me want them too.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

I wish I could do both - but they are really, painfully, prohibatively expensive to buy and have installed here in the UK. That, plus the hoops you have to jump through to get planning permission.

What I AM thinking of doing is a low voltage garden lighting system using a small PV arrary and a 12v battery however.

Doug

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I hope to soon. In fact, I just posted a thread about going solar - was hoping for any insight into whether Citizenre was legitimate

6. sammyootsi macrumors newbie

Working on it last night

Funny you would mention this, my dad and I were working on this just last night. Looks like a pretty efficient way to build up some juice to charge miscellaneous things lying around the house.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I spent quite sometime looking at what solution I can use at my home in IL. What I found out is that I can't basically afford it. Up here we get an average of 4 hours or so of direct sunlight, and basically I think I needed at least 40 sq ft of solar panels on the house or something like that. A cost of close to $20k, and expiring tax credits on both federal and state level. So since I couldn't afford it, I couldn't consider it.

I did look at smaller options for say recharging my iPod, batteries, phone, etc. But none seemed to really be ideal for a home user, they were mostly targeted at out-door activities where there is no access to AC power.

Yes, I am bummed out. Big time. :(

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Citizenre is hoping to change this.

9. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'm looking into solar water heating at the moment. It's probably the most cost efficient solar solution at present.

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is in use worldwide. It boggles my mind that we don't have it as prevalent in the states! :eek:

Edit: Please do share any information you find and your experience with it. Thank you. :D

11. Keebler macrumors 68030

don't have it, but would seriously consider it if we built a new house.

why humans haven't used the sun and let those rays go to waste is beyond me.

imho, govts should figure out a way to git 'er done on a massive scale.

Cheers,
    keebler

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I personally do not but a few homes in my town have solar panels on their roofs.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You are in IL right? do they have any signs that say who they used?

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm sure they did when they were first installed (a picket sign in their front yard to advertise or something) but I don't see any signs now.