Who installed Windows Vista x64?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macbookprofan07, Nov 15, 2007.

1. macbookprofan07 macrumors newbie

As the title says... who installed it and why?

and where did you get those 64 bit drivers for your mac?

2. nospamboz macrumors regular

From the way your question is asked, I think you may be
    talking about Boot Camp. I haven't done it because Apple
    don't support 64-bit Vista (or XP) in Boot Camp yet. I
    was actually somewhat disappointed when Apple didn't
    include 64-bit Boot Camp with Leopard.

As you suspect, others have done so, with what I understand
    is limited success. If you get no direct response, a forum
    search will likely turn up a few instructions.

What I _have_ done is install Vista-64 as a VMware VM.
    That works well enough for me, at least as well as Vista
    _can_ work. I do most of my real Windows work in an
    XP-64 VM, which is pretty solid.

3. cokersa macrumors member

I installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my Mac Pro back in February. See the following link for details on how to do this.

http://www.wintellect.com/cs/blogs/...ta-x64-on-a-mac-pro-totally-awesome-dude.aspx

There are some issues with running 64 bit due to the lack of drivers (e.g. my bluetooth mouse/keyboard don't work), but on the whole I find it much more stable than any previous version of windows I've run.

It looks like you are running a MBP, so John Robbin's site may not be helpful if you want to load it on a MBP. That said, there was a posting about a year ago on this site where someone said they successfully loaded a pre-release version of Vista x64 on a MBP, so apparently its possible.

4. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

I had x64 running on my Windows machine. I went back to XP, as the earlier posts said finding drivers for my computer (which I built) was damn near impossible. I'm assuming that you will run into driver problems. Be careful.

5. DENZIE macrumors member

DENZIE

bit of an old thread but installed x64 xp fusion and it uses half as much processor during idle as my 32 bit windows virtual machine. i happily let it stay running in unity and it only takes up ~9% of the processor comparing to ~23% in 32bit. Quite a reduction. I also use the x64 version of nod32 antivirus and I would imagine that reduce the usage considerably.

6. tabsaid macrumors member

Had x64 vista ultimate running for months via bootcamp http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=293039 . Was great, drivers really where not an issue. I somehow got my bluetooth to work first instal but could not on later attempts. What messed it all up was that EFI firmware update to the MacPro awhile back. Since then vista kept deactivating on me after reboots (OEM copy). Seeme others had the same problem, so I went back to XP pro for now. The commercial is right :)

7. askywalker macrumors regular

I have been running Vista64 in Fusion for a few weeks now - no problems. MBP 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram. I don't have a bluetooth mouse or keyboard. Throw Vista on my external monitor and performs really well. I use it as a dev environment - VS2008 etc..