Who is Attempting International Women's Day Challenge?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BigMcGuire, Mar 8, 2018.

1. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'm almost 100% done with my first move ring / exercise ring at 2:52pm PST and I have yet to leave work (will at 3:30pm). Been doing quick walks/jogs at work when I have my breaks (10-15 mins). Already feel pretty worn out. Soon as I get home at 3:30pm I'm going to run for an hour and hope I close the move ring again before tonight! Will be the first time I've done this. :/

[​IMG]

2. Bballrob macrumors regular

Bballrob

157 pm here in Alaska and I’m at 332. I need to get to 1300 to get the prize. I think I can, I think I can...

3. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

I'm going for it. My normal Move goal is 650, so I'm after 1,300. Like you, I'm at work. And I'm currently at 1,001. So 299 more to go. I hit the mid-point while out walking during lunch.

I almost cheated simply because I doubled my goal twice over the weekend (pretty rare for me actually). But finally decided that every time I saw the badge, I'd be reminded that I cheated. So I'm earning it the hard way.

So far I had about a 15-20 minute walk inside, then 15-20 minutes outside, then another 15-20 inside. Then I walked on my lunch hour. And I just got back from my second outdoor walk. I've also been walking to the other end of the building to use the bathroom and anything else I can do to get extra steps.

I wouldn't mind this one on a weekend, but it's a lot more brutal on a work day. My goal is to always have my rings closed before leaving work and I almost always get that. A little here and there really adds up. But I'm having a hard time today and might just need to wrap it up once I get home. My biggest problem is I just got some good walking shoes last week and wore myself out. I had a 5-day weekend and came close to 10 miles a day. So I was already worn out when I woke this morning.

4. JackieInCo Suspended

I never got the challenge on my phone so I can't.

5. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

I left work needing 69 calories. Got home and did a quick little walk and finally finished it off. Good luck to everyone else!

6. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

Forget the rings. What I really want to know is where you work and where can I get a job like this?? 5 Day weekend??.....2 hours a day walking at work??....extra bathroom breaks?? :p

7. BigMcGuire thread starter Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'm 1.5x on the move ring. 13,911 steps, 6.60 mi. I don't know how I'm going to do that last 50% ring. But I'm gunna try. Going to go for a 20 min walk later in the dark and do some jumping jacks at home - washing the dishes should help a little too :p. I'm gunna do it!

962/630 cal. I am really worn out.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

345 calories to go and its already 9PM EST, so doubt I'll succeed.

9. Dwood1970 macrumors regular

I made. Ran n the treadmill, did the elliptical and lifted weights. Still had 100 to go so I ran in place while playing PlayStation with my son. Goal was 1200 and I'm now at 1232.

10. Bballrob macrumors regular

Bballrob

It is now 8:07 pm here in Alaska. All the worthwhile college basketball games are over for the night. I’m at 548 and I need 1300 to get the badge. Time to find a movie and get on the elliptical.

And it’s snowing.

[​IMG]

11. BigMcGuire thread starter Contributor

BigMcGuire

12. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

I got it. It did involve a good bit of dancing about once I was home though and I was regretting upping my move goal on Monday!

13. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

Since I knew it was coming up I scheduled my long run for the day, which helped a lot to get close to the goal. At that point I just needed several walking intervals throughout the rest of the day to land it. I really like collecting these badges. :)

14. MacGarage macrumors member

It was not until 9:30 pm last night but I managed to grab it.

[​IMG]

15. CNebs macrumors member

Grabbed mine around 3 pm yesterday. Went for a 5K in the morning, and in my job I’m on my feet all day walking around our campus.

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

As a woman, I felt we're already challenged enough, and should have been given that badge.

;)

17. AUFan88 macrumors newbie

AUFan88

Got it at 7:45 last night! It was tough!

18. freemyheart macrumors member

freemyheart

Scored mine five hours and 48 minutes into the day. Then I went on to quadruple it before the end of the day.

https://flic.kr/p/FkxM3z

19. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Ha ha! To be fair, I probably cheated my employer out of some time yesterday. But many days lunch is the only break I take. So it works out. :)

As for the rest, I'm a programmer. And I turned 50 last Friday. I felt that 50 deserved a 5-day weekend. And I drink 1-2 gallons of water every day, so it's bathroom break or something under my chair for leaks. I think they prefer I use the bathroom.

20. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

Went for a Swim.. it's really the only way if I need to double unless I walk 20km that night.

21. ballookey macrumors newbie

ballookey

I was determined to get it, but my current daily goal is 850. I knew there was no way I'd be able to double that on a weekday while I work a desk job so the moment I got up in the morning, I dialed my daily goal down to 700.

I got up at 5:30 am, did 6 miles on the stationary bike, went to work and tried to get as much extra activity as possible (uh, LOL), then came home and did 12 more miles on the bike. It was still 60 calories short when I was ready to go to bed, so I hopped back on the bike for just a few more minutes to reach the goal.

I wasn't sure it would count, but that was as much as I could possibly do. This morning I first got a notification congratulating me on my new personal Move record...and then I got the International Women's Day badge.

So: I cheated, but I don't feel like I cheated because it's already a challenge for me to reach 850 a day on week days. I always am dialing up the intensity on my bike workouts, or hanging in there a few minutes longer to reach the 100% goal. Doubling that? On a weekday? Is punishment, not a challenge. So I feel I stayed within the spirit of the thing by setting a personal record AND doubling a reasonable daily goal too.

22. kohlson macrumors 68000

Sheesh - all I had to do was walk 4 miles, bike to and from 90 minutes of yoga, and then walk another mile. Congrats on your super effort - and support of IWD Challenge.

23. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

On the subject of cheating...

I got an Apple watch a few days after Christmas. Those first few days were glorious. My routine was: Wake up and enjoy my watch.

A few days later, I looked into the ring thing. Since January 1st, my new routine was: Wake up, enjoy my watch AND close all my rings.

Now we have a health incentive thing going at work. Short story is I get bonus points if I hit 10,000 steps at least 20x in the month. So now my routine is: Wake up, enjoy my watch, close my rings AND make sure I hit at least 10,000 steps.

Then I got my personal challenge for March. I need to walk 215.6 miles. That's about 7.2 miles per day. So now my routine is: Wake up, enjoy my watch, close my rings, hit at least 10,000 steps every day AND get at least 7.2 miles.

I've been killing it on the March challenge. I'm way ahead of my average I need. At this rate, I'll be done well before the end of the month. I should also have 20 days of 10,000 steps for March by then. So when my challenge is done, I'm bumping my Move ring down. I could use a few easy days. I'm not knocking it down to 50 or anything. Just give myself a few easier days. Honestly, I don't care if that's "cheating" or not. All that matters is how I feel about it. And when April 1st rolls around, I'll be bumping it back up again. I'm good with that.

When it came to this challenge, I thought about cheating myself. Up until yesterday I had only doubled my Move goal 6 times since owning my watch. And 2 of those times were in the past 7 days. So yeah, I contemplated cheating too. But I know that *I* wouldn't have enjoyed seeing that award knowing I'd fudged things a bit to get it. *I* get a greater sense of accomplishment because I managed to do it without changing anything. But that's just me.

Since we're not competing, I don't think cheating is a thing. If someone had good reason that they couldn't fully participate yesterday, that's up to them to decide how to handle that situation. They're the only person that needs to see that award and feel good about it. If they feel they earned it honestly (however they choose to define that), then go them! Great job! Congratulations! And ignore the people telling you that you cheated! If they don't feel good about earning it the way they did, then that's on them and they'll have that constant reminder every time they see the award.

24. Bballrob macrumors regular

Bballrob

So, when I lay posted last night, I still had about 750 calories to go to earn the badge.

I hit the elliptical intending to go until I had complete the challenge. I got on there about 8:35 pm. I had to get to a total of 1300. Around 9:30 my son came in wanting to go to Blockbuster to get a movie. I told him I’d see if I could finish my goal and then take him. Well, after a few minutes I realized that there was no way I could get to 1300 and make it to Blockbuster before they closed at 10:00 pm. So I jumped off the elliptical at 9:50 with 50 calories to go. We made it to the video store, and I got my last 50 calories just doing some things around the house. Mission accomplished. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]